Under the Skin

Swamp Donkeyz BBQ

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I cook mostly IBCA Events. I was told at the last event, by a guy who wins a lot, that I needed to put rub under the skin of my chicken. He said to pull the skin back, rub the meat down and then pin the skin back down. Does anyone else use this method? What do you use to pin the skin back down?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't use that exact method, but do put rub under the skin. Most people that I have seen that pin simply use toothpicks. Though there are some other skewers I have seen people use too. Sometimes the skin is long enough where people will tuck it back underneath without pinning. Just make sure to remove all the toothpicks before it goes in the box :razz:.

I do a rub and butter mix between the breast and skin. Don't have to pull skin off for that, put it in pockets. Make sure rub is very finely ground and mixed well with butter. Too much black pepper would be a problem in this rub.

for thighs I pull off the skin, scrape it a little which seems to stretch if out. A light dusting then rewrap, haven't needed to pin it.

for thighs I pull off the skin, scrape it a little which seems to stretch if out. A light dusting then rewrap, haven't needed to pin it.

Agreed. Either scrape skin which does stretch it or take it off to trim the thighs to uniform shape and that will cause skin to cover more area. If you stretch the skin around the thigh then it should set without pinning it.

I do a rub and butter mix between the breast and skin. Don't have to pull skin off for that, put it in pockets. Make sure rub is very finely ground and mixed well with butter. Too much black pepper would be a problem in this rub.

I do something similar, it hits to.:thumb:

:thumbup:

I figured you did. There were a couple of thigh references that made me wonder.

I'm just curious about how many ways are there to keep the skin from pulling back and if any one way is superior to the other. I thimk getting some rub under the skin would definitely improve my chances of getting a call.

Back