MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-13-2011, 11:44 AM   #1
grossepellets
Full Fledged Farker

Default What are Mojobricks?

Ask yourself what is Charcoal Briquettes or Lump and you have yourself the answer minus the burnt process.

Lump is wood scraps and other scraps like vegetable or leaves burnt to a carbon form. Typically not a single species wood or not 100% wood and often you have bark mixed in.

Charcoal briquettes are saw dust wood shavings softwoods, pine, spruce limestone, sodium nitrates, borax even paper then mixed with ground coal and other ingredients to make a charcoal briquette.

Mojobricks bbq hardwood -No Bark, is single species hardwood, compressed - No binder and because the moisture content is under 9% the wood binds because of an organic polymer called Lignin.

Charcoal in any form - produces long steady temps and no aroma

Mojobricks can be grilled on quickly, substituted for Chunks or saw dust, they produce long steady fires, long burning coals, even temperatures, and a smoking wood flavor. Mojobricks can be used as you would lump or used with charcoal/lump for smoke flavor. Very Versitile new wood fuel and smoking flavor.

Old 04-13-2011, 11:53 AM   #2
mrbison
Found some matches.

Thanks for the education. If I ever get the chance to pick these up I'll give them a try! (and I thought mojobricks were what made a man well... a man)
mrbison is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-13-2011, 12:20 PM   #3
Phrasty
Babbling Farker

How much they paying you brother?? I keed I keed! Sounds like good stuff! Never heard of it though, I'ma have to check it out.

However I think I should point out that Lump is such a variable item depending on where you get it from, that your "description" is in my mind a little too general and maybe just based on the "bigger" companies that manufacture it in the masses. I know some use old 2x4's and all that junk, but you do have some very good quality lump out there. I know comparing my island means of obtaining coal is like apples to oranges for the most part to the U.S. I get mine right off the coal man's truck, and I know the types of wood he looks for to use. For the record I'm not bashing Mojobricks in ANY way or form, but as a lump man for as long as I can remember i'm just throwing a plug in there for lump.... quality lump.

Cheers Brother
1 - 25 gal. self-made vertical smoker
1 - 120 gal. self-made trailer stick-burner

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=88599
Phrasty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2011, 09:24 AM   #4
grossepellets
Full Fledged Farker

I agree the lump has many sources and yeah the majority of lump sold on the market is made by companies that can process hundreds of thousands of bags a year and from those companies comes the lower quality. That being said even with a higher quality lump - what are you paying for it? 20lbs for $7 -$12 bucks and you are still burning a neutral fuel - no flavor. Correct? The trade off for the Mojobricks is a clean burning, highly efficient heat source with no binders whatsoever. It imparts more natural smoke flavor, replacing charcoals or traditional wood logs, burns longer, and burns cleaner than lump or briquette charcoal. We have a cheaper version which would be compatible / comparable to mixed charcoal and now we have single species for Q a higher cost because its 100% Oak or 100% maple. Our cheaper version is going to be much cheaper then any charcoal and our new smoking woods are going to be a few bucks more then Charcoal.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:33 AM   #5
TactTm1
On the road to being a farker

Looking at the website, it looks like the Mojobricks can be used either for heat or flavor or both, by whittling slices off instead of placing chips or chunks of regular wood.

Is the 'flavor' of the smoke of the same intensity as chunks/chips? My uneducated concern would be that if using the mojobrocks, that too much smoke flavor would be delivered for too long unless they were used as an 'add in' to th elump coal.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:46 AM   #6
Bigmista
somebody shut me the fark up.

I've been using them in chunks on top of my charcoal and I have been getting great smoke flavor and a nice smoke ring.

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2011, 12:35 PM   #7
grossepellets
Full Fledged Farker

No one has heard of it becuase it came out last week. Its brand spanking new. We have field tested it for years. The results are regarding smoke is you will get a clean Smoke flavor. Not excessive

Old 04-15-2011, 12:39 PM   #8
grossepellets
Full Fledged Farker

sorry didnt see your question about the shaving the wood. Its hard to say as I only recently figured out how to do that. The shave creates 6" long strips and you can toss them on your fire for smoke flavor. But like I said thats a new concept for cooking -you would have to experiment with those strips.