My attempt at Char siu

anamosity

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I attempted to make some Char Siu.
I took a 10 pound pork loin and trimmed the fat off.
Then cut it in half so I had roughly two 5 pounders.
One went for BBB, the other one got sliced lengthwise in half and used for the Chinese pork. All in all, I cooked it about 5 minutes to long, but it tasted great regardless.

IMG_0143-3.jpg

IMG_0146-1.jpg

IMG_0149.jpg

IMG_0150.jpg

How was it? I usually do my char siu in the oven and then finish it on the grill.

It was very good. It marinated for 2 days.
I do not add the red food coloring.

Looks great, but IMO, a great char siu is made only with neck or shoulder to provide lots of fat and flavour (and those crispy, burnished bits).

Never the less, great cook!

^^^^ what infernoo said. Try it with pork butt next time. The high fat content really lends it toward getting that external crispiness that is so familiar with the dish.

Having said that... I've done char siu with a tenderloin before, and it is pretty damn good, and your dish sure looks awesome!....just watch that cooking time!

Cheers!

Bill

Very nice. 5 minutes too long or not, it still looks pretty juicy.

It looks good to me!

Can you share some details? Seasoning, cook time and temp, the sauce?

Marinade is:

3 tbsp dark soy
3 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp pepper
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup Yoshi's sauce
3 tbsp ketchup
1 tbsp crushed garlic
3 tbsp Hoisin Sauce2 tsp Chinese 5 spice
I do believe that is all I put in the marinade

I cooked it on a raised grate in the egg at 300, until internal reached 135.
Then moved to lower grate for glazing until internal reached 145. Removed and let sit undisturbed for 20 minutes. Then sliced and eaten. After removing the meat from the marinade I poured the left over marinade into a pan added a bit more brown sugar and maraschino cherry juice and brought it to a boil. Then used that as the gaze and dipping sauce.

Char sui pork loin is great! I cheated though, used a ready made marinade... Still good though :)

Yoshi's sauce? Is that Yoshida's or is there something else out there?

Have any of you BGE guys ever tried making char-siu hanging vertically?

Looks great Gene! Thanks for the recipe too. :thumb:

Back