The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Food Handling General Discussion

Notices

Food Handling General Discussion General and open discussion for food handling and safety.

Unread 04-27-2007, 02:30 PM   #1
VitaminQ
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Freezer Life

I used my rudimentary search skills to look for info on how long raw food can be frozen. I turned up this thread:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...t=freezer+life

which seems to indicate that food can be frozen pretty much indefinitely, but that some degradation in quality is likely to occur. I'm curious because I have a brisket and a butt that have been in the freezer (chest-type) since last summer. The brisket is cryo-ed, but the butt was in a double cryo, which I opened so I could cook one. I wrapped the other up at tightly as I could and froze it. Over the last year I've failed to plan a thaw far enough in advance to cook them, so I've ended up just buying more. (I have't taken them out and let them partially thaw.)

I'm not concerned that they may have gone bad, but I'd be interested to hear anecdotal experiences about long-term freezing. What effects have you noticed in situations like this?

Edit: Check it out! I'm a chatty farker!

ECB w/mods
Weber Smokey Joe
18" Weber Kettle
22" Weber clone kettle
Curb-foundling char-broil gasser
WSM: Assembled! First cook: 8/25/06
Fanatical devotion to the Q

Last edited by VitaminQ; 04-27-2007 at 02:31 PM.. Reason: I'm chatty!
VitaminQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2007, 03:19 PM   #2
jt
Babbling Farker

I had some cryo'd babybacks in the freezer for over a year. Same on some briskets (packers) and a couple butts. Never saw or tasted any problem. But I wasn't comparing them to fresh either since I filled up the smoker with the older stuff.

Spicewine, 2 Dutch Ovens, Weber OTP, 18 " Weber Kettle, White Mountain Ice Cream Freezer, Whirly Pop, Cast Iron Hot Dog cooker, and a 10 year old. Moink.

RIP - my NB Bandera

"Sweet Blue to all" - E

jt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2007, 04:56 PM   #3
qman
Babbling Farker

Vitamin, you chatty Farker, you.

You are right, if raw food remains frozen in a deep freeze, it will last indefinitely as far as safety is concerned. Your cyrovaced will for sure be as good as the day you froze it, the butt might be dehydrated some [freezer burn] but that does not really change the taste much unless it is severe. I WOULD take time to defrost them in the fridge though--this will reduce moisture loss.

I frequently have stuff in my freezer for over a year, and cook with good results. As a matter of fact, I buy whole ny strips and/or whole rib-eyes from Sam's, cut them into thick steaks, and freeze them a 100 pounds at the time. Sometimes I think they are better after a few months in the freezer.