MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-18-2013, 03:24 PM   #1
Yellowhair42
is one Smokin' Farker

Default 300 gallon RF questions

I just acquired a 300 gal tank for my next build.I want to make a rf stick burner.I've used the pit calculator.I'm unsure of the following.

#1,How big of an opening where the rf plate ends(same cu.in. as the fb opening?)

#2,Where is the exhaust located(out the side or top down to grate level)

Thanks in advance.

Old 10-18-2013, 03:30 PM   #2
outwest
Got Wood.

Google fire box caculator and fill in the feilds with your measurements and you will be off and running.
outwest is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-18-2013, 03:32 PM   #3
DownHomeQue
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : DHQ

We like pics!

I reccomend measuring and marking your halfway point of the tank. And then Measuring from that halfway point to the top of the cooking chamber. And thats where you put your exhaust.

The opening from the FB to the tank should be a half moon size shape. as far as coming up with an exact science to figure out just how big this should be.. others have to chime in here..

[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148660[/URL]

250 Gallon Offset Build (2012)

[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=211078[/URL]

600 Gallon Offset Build (2016)
DownHomeQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-18-2013, 03:47 PM   #4
DownHomeQue
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : DHQ

PS. thats also the way i attached my FB to my 250 gallon offset smoker.. Works well for me. Halfway between halfway point of the tank and the bottom. mark this spot.. make that the top of the FB cut.

[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148660[/URL]

250 Gallon Offset Build (2012)

[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=211078[/URL]

600 Gallon Offset Build (2016)
DownHomeQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-18-2013, 04:14 PM   #5
dwfisk
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave

Here is a link to the Feldon calculator:
http://www.feldoncentral.com/bbqcalculator.html
It should help with all your measurements.
#1 Yes
#2 Whatever you want. I put mine on top and extended it down to just above the top grate. The top hinge for my door is almost top-dead-center so my exhaust is offset slightly to the back. Works with no problem.

Oops, see you already used a calculator. PS, if the calculator says you need a 30" pipe, I've always taken that to mean from the top of the cook chamber. So if you extend it into the cook chamber like I did or have it mount on the end of the tank, you will need to add to the length from the calculator.

Best of luck!

Old 10-18-2013, 05:49 PM   #6
Diesel Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I just went out and looked at my Lang.
The vent is centered and doesn't go any farther down than the top of the chamber.
The opening from the firebox to the cooking chamber is about 1/4 the way up the "tank" of the chamber.
Hope that helps some

Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring ― Marilyn Monroe
Diesel Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-18-2013, 07:28 PM   #7
TuscaloosaQ
Babbling Farker

need length and diameter then I can help you

Check out our website at ShirleyFabrication.com

Like our Facebook Page Facebook.com/ShirleyFabrication
TuscaloosaQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-19-2013, 11:45 AM   #8
Yellowhair42
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuscaloosaQ View Post
need length and diameter then I can help you

Mr. Q,I was hoping you would chime in on this.I've seen your work and admire your craftsmanship.For how many pits you've built you know exactly what works.It's a round tank 36 inches in diameter and 66 inches long.The formula I used got me 290+ gallons.I can and will post pics as I go.My work space is outside and it's been raining a lot and the weather is getting crappy.I have used the Feldon calculator before I even asked on here.Just unsure and want the right way the first time.

Old 10-19-2013, 12:29 PM   #9
TuscaloosaQ
Babbling Farker

Yellowhair42 I ran some numbers and here it is if your tank is 36" wide BY 66" LONG and you want a warmer too, I would make my firebox and warmer as one. The top of my firebox would be the bottom of my warmer. This being said.... Your firebox could be,36 wide, 26 tall,26 long. This would come out to around 108% I always oversize a little. Your opening from firebox to cook chamber IE (smiley face) could be 9" tall by 31.77" wide. If you stop the baffle plate 9 to 10"s from the end of the cook chamber you will be good. I always try and make the top of the firebox be the continuation of the baffle plate, for a smooth transition of heat and smoke to the cook chamber. If you use a 6" stack go 43" tall if you use 8" go 24" tall. This is just my opinion but I assure you it will work as far as performance and coming up to temp goes. Just trying to help a brother out, aint no secrets here. People helped me and I pass it on. Good luck and pm me anytime and I will help where I CAN!!!!!!!

Your warmer can be as tall as you decide, I recommend drawing the diameter on the floor and decided what suits you it has no impact on the main chamber.... it is a separate deal. I hope I did not make all of this as clear as mud. Pm me if you need to call and I will give you my ######

Check out our website at ShirleyFabrication.com

Like our Facebook Page Facebook.com/ShirleyFabrication
TuscaloosaQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-19-2013, 01:09 PM   #10
Yellowhair42
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuscaloosaQ View Post
Yellowhair42 I ran some numbers and here it is if your tank is 36" wide BY 66" LONG and you want a warmer too, I would make my firebox and warmer as one. The top of my firebox would be the bottom of my warmer. This being said.... Your firebox could be,36 wide, 26 tall,26 long. This would come out to around 108% I always oversize a little. Your opening from firebox to cook chamber IE (smiley face) could be 9" tall by 31.77" wide. If you stop the baffle plate 9 to 10"s from the end of the cook chamber you will be good. I always try and make the top of the firebox be the continuation of the baffle plate, for a smooth transition of heat and smoke to the cook chamber. If you use a 6" stack go 43" tall if you use 8" go 24" tall. This is just my opinion but I assure you it will work as far as performance and coming up to temp goes. Just trying to help a brother out, aint no secrets here. People helped me and I pass it on. Good luck and pm me anytime and I will help where I CAN!!!!!!!

Your warmer can be as tall as you decide, I recommend drawing the diameter on the floor and decided what suits you it has no impact on the main chamber.... it is a separate deal. I hope I did not make all of this as clear as mud. Pm me if you need to call and I will give you my ######

Thanks a lot.I really appreciate it.I'm sure I might need some more help in the future.