MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-07-2013, 02:22 AM   #1
FamilyManBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Default The Life of Tri...

...began just over three years ago. A man, and his daughter, began their journey in competitive bbq cooking...at an event called Washington Spring Training, their first.

It was a good day for Daddy and Me BBQ....their first event, and their first GC!!

(here's a link to a post with more details http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=84883)

Out here in the PNWBA one-day (lite cooks) include chicken, ribs, sausage and tri-tip. On this day Daddy and Me scored in the top three in each category...except tri-tip.

This entry earned us 6th place...must've been the taste. Soon after we promised ourselves that one day we'd walk away with a first place trophy in this category.

We then set about cooking tri-tip whenever we could. We grilled 'em, "seared" and smoked 'em, reverse-seared 'em and even smoked a few like a brisket. Many of these cooks were done on our favorite tool (mini wsm/smoker joe).

We settled on the reverse-sear on the min wsm as our comp method. Here's some pics of practice at home...

While we loved the tri-tip we cooked...well, the judges just didn't seem to share our enthusiasm. We continued to fight the good fight, experimenting with different rubs, seasonings and finishing sauces/oil/jus. We didn't give up...and had some success, getting several calls in the tri-tip category. But, no first place trophy.

The judges, it seems, didn't care for much pink in the meat. It was easy to brush aside comments on the seasonings, appearance etc. But, the comments on the pink always bothered us. After all, good tri-tip's gotta have a little pink to it!!??

This year we searched decided on drastic measures. Confident that our flavors, seasonings and sauces were good...adjusted our cooking method. We set the mini wsm aside, and returned to a trusty 22.5" kettle...with a rotisserie ring!!

The new Daddy and Me tri-tip process involves spinning the beef above coals banked (basketed) to one side.

Started turning in meat that looks like this...

The tri-tip cooked on the rotisserie has a more uniform color to it. Outside of the smoke ring...the color is very much the same throughout the pieces of meat. Taste, tenderness are still spot on.

This method worked. In our third contest with this method we got...the long sought after first place trophy!!! Unfortunately, the only pics I have are of me walking in the sealed box...

So, had to recreate our cook. Here's a bit of the process...

Tri-tip and our super secret "tri-tip slather" based on something PatioDaddio does. Thanks PD!!

All slathered up. Then, goes into a cooler for a few hours.

Then it gets a dusting of our super-secret rub...and the cooks over legal age get some homebrew.

Into the basket and then over the fire...

Let it run until it hits about 125-130 internal. Then, we begin basting with our "super secret tri-tip baste."

Almost there now. When it is done...gets a short rest on cutting board, tented with foil, until it's sliced.

Happily resting...next to the long sought after trophy...and the ribbons collected in pursuit of.

Was a very satisfying journey. As our banner reads, Daddy and Me is "cooking up good food and great memories." Lots of quality father/daughter time, and many a good meal, has resulted from this quest for a little six inch trophy. Think we won a bit more than this piece of plastic.

Thanks for checking out our story.
[FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial][B]Humphrey's Pint[/B][/FONT][/FONT], [FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial]Weber(Go Anywhere, Smokey Joe, "Smoker Joe", 22.5" Kettles, Gasser, Q100, Q200, (2)22.5" WSM, (1)18.5" WSM (1) 14.5" WSM, UDS (Weber lid), Rib-O-Lator. [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial][B][COLOR=black]BLACK[/COLOR][/B] thermapen...and a [B][COLOR=yellow]YELLOW[/COLOR][/B] one too!! [/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial][I][B]Everything I cook is judged by SIX!![/B][/I][/FONT][/FONT]

[I][FONT=Arial][B]Daddy and Me BBQ[/B] Competition Cooking Team[/FONT][/I]
FamilyManBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2013, 03:05 AM   #2
sliding_billy
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : )

Awesome read, and great pics.
sliding_billy is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-07-2013, 04:02 AM   #3
Phubar

Good to see you again!
Looks like good times!

All fueled by [COLOR=lime]Ecobrasa[/COLOR] Coco Briquettes

*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2013, 06:06 AM   #4
peeps

Very cool! Congrats!
- [B][COLOR="darkorange"]Major[/COLOR][/B] - Mini WSM (from SJS)

[B][COLOR="Blue"]Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller![/COLOR][/B] ([URL="http://bit.ly/1lr5cKx"]Certificate of Authenticity[/URL]) / [B][COLOR="Blue"]Join the fun in the [URL="http://bit.ly/1ew3H57"]Throwdowns[/URL]![/COLOR][/B]
peeps is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2013, 06:12 AM   #5
Diesel Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

How awesome!
I'll bet you were happy but the lil cutie there was probably on top of the world!

Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring ― Marilyn Monroe
Diesel Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2013, 06:13 AM   #6
medic53
Knows what a fatty is.

That's awesome! Congrats on the Father daughter time as well as the first place!
medic53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2013, 06:22 AM   #7
oifmarine2003
Babbling Farker

Nice! Hopefully she will want to keep doing it when she becomes a teenager!

Old 10-07-2013, 06:44 AM   #8
MattG
is One Chatty Farker

Really nice looking Tri-Tip.

Check us out on Facebook
[url]http://www.facebook.com/pages/Pots-BBQ/107610505962113[/url]
MattG is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2013, 07:45 AM   #9
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Fantastic job! The tri-tip looks great and congrats on the first place!

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2013, 10:12 AM   #10
gasAintGrillin
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Great Story

Way to hang in there. Thanks for sharing!

Awesome photography. It's 11:11AM and I lookin' for lunch!

Old 10-07-2013, 10:20 AM   #11
Teamfour
is Blowin Smoke!

Fantastic team and story.

Smokin-n-Style BBQ Team - Pitmaster
Lagniappe Chili Team - Head Cook
KCBS CBJ
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2013, 10:24 AM   #12
FamilyManBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phubar View Post
Good to see you again!
Looks like good times!
Thanks Phu! I know, it's been a while since I posted...it's amazing how busy life, and the kids, have been keeping me.
[FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial][B]Humphrey's Pint[/B][/FONT][/FONT], [FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial]Weber(Go Anywhere, Smokey Joe, "Smoker Joe", 22.5" Kettles, Gasser, Q100, Q200, (2)22.5" WSM, (1)18.5" WSM (1) 14.5" WSM, UDS (Weber lid), Rib-O-Lator. [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial][B][COLOR=black]BLACK[/COLOR][/B] thermapen...and a [B][COLOR=yellow]YELLOW[/COLOR][/B] one too!! [/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial][I][B]Everything I cook is judged by SIX!![/B][/I][/FONT][/FONT]

[I][FONT=Arial][B]Daddy and Me BBQ[/B] Competition Cooking Team[/FONT][/I]
FamilyManBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2013, 12:28 PM   #13
DownHomeQue
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : DHQ

Thats Great Congrats!

[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148660[/URL]

250 Gallon Offset Build (2012)

[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=211078[/URL]

600 Gallon Offset Build (2016)
DownHomeQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2013, 02:30 PM   #14
Bonewagon
Babbling Farker

Congratulations on the first place finish! What an awesome way to spend time with your daughter.

Big Steel Keg, WSM, OTG, PBC, Kamado Joe Jr., Carson Rodizio, and a Super Fast [I]and[/I] Accurate [COLOR="Blue"]Blue[/COLOR] Splash-Proof Thermapen
Bonewagon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2013, 02:43 PM   #15
luke duke
is One Chatty Farker

Congratulations.

Any "judge" who doesn't care for any pink in a tri-tip shouldn't be a judge.
luke duke is offline   Reply With Quote