MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-23-2013, 01:32 PM   #1
tjack
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Gravity Fed Smoker

I'm seriously thinking of getting a gravity fed smoker next year. I know that there are several out there and was wondering if any of you had the gravity fed charcoal type smoker. I just can't get real excited about a stick burner as all I hear that its an all nighter fighting with the temp. Whereas with a gravity fed smoker, you get even cooking temp for many hours and Q that is just as good as stick burners. (Although I'm sure that is up for debate also)

I was looking at a Stumps. Is that the cream of the crop? Or there others better? Worse? Best bang for the buck?

I'm not wanting to do competitions with it, I just want to do some killer Q with a quality smoker other then the cheap thin smokers out there that are fine for the beginner, but I'm ready to go to the next step.

Thanks in advance.
tjack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2013, 01:37 PM   #2
Pooky
Knows what a fatty is.

A friend of mine has a Superior SS1 - Turns out some awesome BBQ

Old 09-23-2013, 01:40 PM   #3
Bamabuzzard
is One Chatty Farker

I've got a Stumps Baby and love it. However, I see "Stump" has gone up on his prices quite a bit. I've had mine for five/six years. I know Assassin Smokers and Superior smokers are basically Stumps Smoker design with a different spin on them. I'm not sure if they are better or worse. But I'm sure you can't go wrong with any of those three. They come from the same family of smokers. They're going to be good.

www.doubledsbbq.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Double...12864168786570
Stumps Baby Gravity Feed Smoker
Backwoods Patio Unit
Char Griller Offset for grilling

Last edited by Bamabuzzard; 09-23-2013 at 02:48 PM..
Bamabuzzard is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2013, 02:09 PM   #4
cpw
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Chad

There's a bunch of people who ordered the Assassin 28 recently and are ecstatic about them. Do a quick search and you'll find a few threads.
Yoder YS640
Savannah, GA
Yes, Dear BBQ on Facebook
Proudly sponsored by Royal Oak Charcoal and The Atlanta BBQ store
cpw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2013, 03:06 PM   #5
mep
Full Fledged Farker

I can highly recommend the Assassin Smoker. Works great and has added features that you don't get without paying for a bunch of options with other companies, plus the customer service is great.

Check out my video and comments in this link about my Assassin:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=166449

Also check this link and video regarding the Assassin 28:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=167662

Old 09-23-2013, 03:42 PM   #6
dano
is one Smokin' Farker

Can't go wrong with Stumps
dano is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2013, 04:31 PM   #7
tjack
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

How hot can you ramp that smoker up too? I like to use the hot and fast method from time to time and was wondering if these types of smokers are more lo and slo verses ramping it up to 325-350 and doing it that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mep View Post
I can highly recommend the Assassin Smoker. Works great and has added features that you don't get without paying for a bunch of options with other companies, plus the customer service is great.

Check out my video and comments in this link about my Assassin:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=166449

Also check this link and video regarding the Assassin 28:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=167662
tjack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2013, 04:43 PM   #8
Big Mike
is one Smokin' Farker

325-350 is not a problem. I currently have a Stumps Platinum 5 and before that, I had a Stumps GF223 (that would be the classic today). I had my GF223 over 500 degrees.

Any of the cookers mentioned will do a fine job for you. I would check out all 3 and see which one you think suits your needs the best.

Big Mike
Eagle River Barbecue
Yoder YS640
Stumps Platinum 5 Trailer
Members Mark 8 Burner Gasser
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2013, 04:50 PM   #9
KingRanch450
is One Chatty Farker

I just completed a ton of research and looked at Stumps, Superior, Rebel, Deep South and Assassin. All seem to be very well built pits with good reputations. All that being said I went with the Assassin 28. You could not beat the amount of cooking space for the money along with all of the things that come standard from them and are extra add ons with other builders, such as a slam latch and BBQ Guru. The turnaround time was also very appealling.

Old 09-23-2013, 04:54 PM   #10
KingRanch450
is One Chatty Farker

I should also say the customer service from Jeff and Robin has been great. I really considered the Stumps and they were also very attentive to all of my questions but you will pay more and wait longer for them, but they also build great pits. There were a few differences between the two such as charcoal chute placement, how far the door will open and how they drain grease.

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-23-2013, 05:15 PM   #11
Pappy Q
is One Chatty Farker

After all my research on them, I ordered a Deep South Smoker. The patented baffle system for even heat was one of the major points for me. Also the willingness to customize it any way I wanted showed me he was building it just for me to my specs.
Pappy Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2013, 05:32 PM   #12
KBird
On the road to being a farker

I found a Rebel 23 on Craiglist that was used and priced very reasonably. It has been great and is built very well. The support I have gotten from the factory has been excellent. I can recommend the Rebel products.

Old 09-23-2013, 06:20 PM   #13
nastynotch347
Knows what a fatty is.

I love my Assassin 28, as stated before you can't beat the customer service you get from Jeff and Robin..... My hats off to them!
nastynotch347 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2013, 06:36 PM   #14
padge31
Full Fledged Farker

That is a loaded question. Everybody is going to have an opinion on every smoker. Those who bought Assassins will say they are the best, those who bought Stumps will say they are the best and so on and so on. You need to decide how much money you want to spend and how long you are willing to wait to get it. Ask the builders how thick of steel they are using inside and outside. Ask how thick is the steel used for the fire box and shoot. That is important because you don't want that to burn out. Good luck.

Eric
padge31 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2013, 08:50 PM   #15
MattG
is One Chatty Farker

I have a Stumps Stretch and just got finished ordering a Stumpster XL. I love it and I cook low and slow and hot and fast all the time. But like others have written check them all out and see which best fits your needs and buy the next size up!

Check us out on Facebook
[url]http://www.facebook.com/pages/Pots-BBQ/107610505962113[/url]
MattG is offline   Reply With Quote