MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 07-31-2013, 07:42 AM   #16
mdsgpro
Found some matches.

The "novel" says it all, Exceptional Advice! Holding in the smoker and serving from the tabletop warmers are what we are going to do from a 13' long BBQ Food Truck! We'll be doing 150lbs of meat per day (plus Cole slaw, bbq beans, Chile & smoked chicken salad) 300-400 plates over 12 hrs! Truck is self contained commissary!
Be careful and Be Great!
Mike
mdsgpro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-31-2013, 08:30 AM   #17
mdsgpro
Found some matches.

I'll be glad to help you in any way I can with equipment specs and alternative stuff you can use to be successful!
Post crowd and food quantity info if you get it!
Mike

Last edited by mdsgpro; 07-31-2013 at 08:36 AM.. Reason: not needed!
mdsgpro is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-31-2013, 12:48 PM   #18
The Pig's Blanket
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsgpro View Post
I'll be glad to help you in any way I can with equipment specs and alternative stuff you can use to be successful!
Post crowd and food quantity info if you get it!
Mike

Friday is the first day of the Event. I think Im going to cook 15 racks ready for lunch then see how they do... If there going good I will cook another 15-30 racks for dinner.... I will do the same with pork butts start with 4 and see how they do at lunch.(you think I should start smaller or go bigger or that this is a good starting point?)

The info on the crowd is limited... its free so there are only guesses on the size. I hear over the 3 days they have estimated 10,000-20,000 people... I dont know where that number came from?

Old 07-31-2013, 01:00 PM   #19
bizznessman
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardluck View Post
Friday is the first day of the Event. I think Im going to cook 15 racks ready for lunch then see how they do... If there going good I will cook another 15-30 racks for dinner.... I will do the same with pork butts start with 4 and see how they do at lunch.(you think I should start smaller or go bigger or that this is a good starting point?)

The info on the crowd is limited... its free so there are only guesses on the size. I hear over the 3 days they have estimated 10,000-20,000 people... I dont know where that number came from?

Rule of Thumb: Figure 50% of "estimated" crowd numbers. Event organizers always want to make the event sound BIG. Without ticket sales there is no data to know the actual event attendance numbers and it is normal for them to unintentionally inflate the numbers due to their zeal.

Personally I would feel comfortable with those numbers to start off with. It is always good to have to cook more the next day than to have lots of leftovers the first day.

How are you selling the racks? Full racks, half racks, by the bone? At festivals events I would think the majority of customers will want 2-3 bones with sides. Not as many will buy half/full racks. (but I could easily be proven wrong)

Old 07-31-2013, 01:10 PM   #20
The Pig's Blanket
Full Fledged Farker

I have the menu and its fairly simple...
Pork Sandwich
Ribs full rack
Ribs Half Rack
Ribs 3 bone
Dinner - 3 bones, pork, slaw, baked beans and bread with a drink
Slaw
Beans
I was thinking about smoking some naked fattys just for people to try them... What do you think about the menu? too simple?

Old 07-31-2013, 01:15 PM   #21
bizznessman
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
I have the menu and its fairly simple...
Pork Sandwich
Ribs full rack
Ribs Half Rack
Ribs 3 bone
Dinner - 3 bones, pork, slaw, baked beans and bread with a drink
Slaw
Beans
I was thinking about smoking some naked fattys just for people to try them... What do you think about the menu? too simple?

May I ask the pricing for your menu items?

Old 07-31-2013, 01:22 PM   #22
The Pig's Blanket
Full Fledged Farker

Pork Sandwich $4
Ribs full rack$20
Ribs Half Rack$12
Ribs 3 bone$6
Dinner - 3 bones, pork, slaw, baked beans and bread with a drink$10
Slaw$1
Beans$1
The Pig's Blanket is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-31-2013, 01:46 PM   #23
bizznessman
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Pork Sandwich $4
Ribs full rack$20
Ribs Half Rack$12
Ribs 3 bone$6
Dinner - 3 bones, pork, slaw, baked beans and bread with a drink$10
Slaw$1
Beans$1
This is just my personal opinion, and I realize regional differences in price expectations by customers can drive the final price, but I would increase the PP Sammie to $5 and the Dinner to $12 (that's a LOT of food on that plate and more time expended to plate it up).

I base this on what we charge here. We no longer offer a "Dinner Plate" since people were always wanting to change up the menu item mix on us which slowed down our plating and delivery times. We sell everything separately priced. We will "plate up" their order as a "dinner" but the menu items are charged out individually.

Here are the menu items we offer:
1. PP or Brisket Sammie (approx 6 oz of PP/Brisket) $6
2. Sides (approx 4 oz) $1
3. Drink (can/bottle) $1 (limited selection of canned sodas and 20 oz water)
4. Ribs - your prices are in line with what we charge for catered events, as long as your costs are such that you are making the desired margin at those prices I would say you are okay

We have never had anyone balk at the $6 Sammie price since we are generous with the 6 oz serving size. And most folks don't realize how much 6 oz of meat is until they see it spilling out around the bun. We use 3.5" burger buns so it makes the amount of meat look even LARGER. All Sammies served dry with bottles of sauce available for those who want a wet Sammie.

We keep everything at even dollar amounts for ease of calculating total bill and making change. (that way we don't need coins for making change )

You are on the right track. Don't let the details overwhelm you. Be sure to enjoy the experience!!

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-31-2013, 01:56 PM   #24
The Pig's Blanket
Full Fledged Farker

Thank you! It's nice to hear some kind words... I have put a lot of time in it already. Thanks for the help and advice new pp price is five bucks

Old 08-01-2013, 01:50 PM   #25
Willie G
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Drinks

So far, the advice I agree with the advice that has been given to you. On this end of the Commonwealth we have a festival that we have worked for ten years now. As far as sides go, we buy them at Sam's.....not enough help or time to make them on our own. Then pre package them like stated earlier.
We used to sell sodas.....at our event we were required to buy them from Pepsi and the event set the price at $1.50 for a 16 OZ. We made a huge mistake our first year and over ordered. We eventually evolved into this....we offer lemonade, sweet, and un-sweet tea. We do still caryy bottled water. The lemonade and tea is made by us and there is a huge profit margin. Think about it.
22.5 OTS, 40" Masterbuilt Electric Smoker, 12' Custom Pull Behind Pit, 17' Custom Pull Behind with whole hog pit, FEC 500, FEC 100 and a blinding fast [COLOR=blue][B]BLUE[/B] [/COLOR]Thermapen, and (2) TW8060's
Willie G is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-2013, 03:45 PM   #26
The Pig's Blanket
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie G View Post
So far, the advice I agree with the advice that has been given to you. On this end of the Commonwealth we have a festival that we have worked for ten years now. As far as sides go, we buy them at Sam's.....not enough help or time to make them on our own. Then pre package them like stated earlier.
We used to sell sodas.....at our event we were required to buy them from Pepsi and the event set the price at $1.50 for a 16 OZ. We made a huge mistake our first year and over ordered. We eventually evolved into this....we offer lemonade, sweet, and un-sweet tea. We do still caryy bottled water. The lemonade and tea is made by us and there is a huge profit margin. Think about it.
Thanks Willie. I am buying my slaw locally so i dont have to try and make it there... I also plan on packing it in small bowls with lids and storing on ice in a couple coolers.... The beans I am going to make on site,Well make is a streach. I just kick up some Bushes baked beans my own way... Again just to try and keep it simple.

They are selling coke cans at the show and I can buy for $8 a case so ill just buy a few at a time. HOWEVER I like your idea with the tea and lemonade! something to think about! Thanks man!! Im gonna test run a case or ribs Saturday so we will see how it goes.

Old 08-01-2013, 07:13 PM   #27
Smoke House Moe
On the road to being a farker

Great advice Bizzman!

Old 08-02-2013, 09:52 AM   #28
Smokinwright
On the road to being a farker

Good luck. Best advice that I could give you is go with someone to a bigger event, and soak in all the knowledge and how they do things. That is exactly how I got started. Helping out someone who has been doing it for quite a few years. There are many things that you pick up on, that save your butt, that you will never think of.

I have an event the 24 th of August. It will be a smaller event, with around 800-900 people, but I am the only food vender, and all will be coming to me for a meal.

Another thing is, keep things as simple as you can. Is there anyway away from the slaw, being it is your first event, and go to something simple, such as chips? You are going to have your hands full with keeping the meat at right temps, yet keeping the flavor and moisture in it. Unless you do what is stated earlier in the post, is to package the slaw in foam containers prior.

The event I am doing, I am keeping it really simple. Chips, beans, pulled pork. Beans will stay in the warming box of my trailer pit, pork in a roaster after it is pulled off the smoker and pulled, chips are ready to go straight out of the box.

Are you responsible for drinks as well?

Edit: Just saw that you are offering drinks, and I would take the advice of others and do tea and lemonade. That is where your best profit margin is.
Smokinwright is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2013, 02:31 AM   #29
mmcooker
Found some matches.

You may consider a chest freezer vs a fridge....they recover faster. Some HD's will not allow ice coolers for all day events.
mmcooker is offline   Reply With Quote