MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-06-2013, 03:37 PM   #1
BenBarrBQue
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default BBQ & Bear Safety

So, I'm thinking about doing an overnight cook while in bear country later this summer. I was thinking I might need to leave the pit for a nap for an hour at a time, but I'm worried about bears while I'm gone. I know they're attracted to smells of meat, especially. (At least, I think they are.)

Does anyone have any experience with this and have some advice?

Thanks in advance, Everyone.

Old 07-06-2013, 03:45 PM   #2
jmellor
is one Smokin' Farker

Leave them a note saying you will share when it's done.

Honestly no idea but sounds like a dinner invitation to the bears to me.

Remember RGB....always sending it
jmellor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-06-2013, 03:48 PM   #3
pmad
is One Chatty Farker

Problem solved
pmad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-06-2013, 05:04 PM   #4
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

12 ga with Slugs, a good skinnin knife. Yogi burgers to follow.

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-06-2013, 05:13 PM   #5
runnoft
Full Fledged Farker

460 Smith and Wesson Magnum should do the trick at the bargain price approx. $1,500.00 +tax.

Old 07-06-2013, 05:16 PM   #6
DubfromGA
is One Chatty Farker

BBQ Gun needed !!!

Old 07-06-2013, 05:27 PM   #7
runnoft
Full Fledged Farker

For Grizzly bear this would lend a decent hand. M72A2 LAW anti-Grizzly Rocket. It's BONIFIED .

Old 07-06-2013, 05:34 PM   #8
runnoft
Full Fledged Farker

On a more serious note, this U.S. Parks website has bear safety tips.
http://usparks.about.com/od/backcoun...ear-Safety.htm

Old 07-06-2013, 08:02 PM   #9
FromthePitBBQ
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Lumpy

We bear hunt Canada, in the middle of no where, and wouldn't recommend it. What I do, since I'm the chef for the 3 of us, is do some pulled pork (but you could do ribs or brisket) and vacuum seal it in serving sizes for meals, the freeze it. It will keep with dry ice in a cooler for 6-7 days. When it's time to eat, toss it in a bag of boiling water or nearly boiling water and 30 minutes later it's chow time.

Option 2 - bear spray backed up with 12 ga & 00 buck

Old 07-06-2013, 08:24 PM   #10
creekwalker
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromthePitBBQ View Post
We bear hunt Canada, in the middle of no where, and wouldn't recommend it. What I do, since I'm the chef for the 3 of us, is do some pulled pork (but you could do ribs or brisket) and vacuum seal it in serving sizes for meals, the freeze it. It will keep with dry ice in a cooler for 6-7 days. When it's time to eat, toss it in a bag of boiling water or nearly boiling water and 30 minutes later it's chow time.

Option 2 - bear spray backed up with 12 ga & 00 buck
Less colorful than some of the suggestions, and less dinner time ambiance than the original idea, but this sounds like a plan.
creekwalker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-06-2013, 08:38 PM   #11
Smoke Dawg
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : IMF

Been on a few remote fishing trips in bear country in BC. Fromthepit is right, vaccuum pack all food that has a strong scent in portion size packs.

Keep the camp clean and put all food into a seal tight or bear proof (ha ha) container. We had wood boxes that had good lids and latches. use strong scents to mask food or garbage. Burn as much as you can and if you can't - store it away from your camp.

Lastly make sure to where a bell so you don't surprise one. If you do, it will be eaiser to find you. I hear bear attacks are more rare than raccoon or dog.
Only Brethren to win a TD with all the votes!
IMBAS Certified Moink Baller
Smoke Dawg is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 07-06-2013, 09:14 PM   #12
runnoft
Full Fledged Farker

Ben sounds like these guys got the plan good luck on your trip and be safe.

Old 07-06-2013, 09:52 PM   #13
pigdog
Full Fledged Farker

We had a griz in our trash last year. I had cooked chicken, and there was a nuisance bear 5 miles away that they were trying to trap. That bear was drawn to my bbq, and overnight, got into the trash to eat the bones and skin. Bears have incredibly keen smell. I wouldn't chance it.
pigdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-06-2013, 10:03 PM   #14
caseydog
somebody shut me the fark up.

The likelihood of a bear invading your BBQ pit are directly related to how the wild prey situation is. Like most wild animals, they prefer to avoid us humans and our turfs, if they have a plentiful supply of food in the wild. There are the few rogues, but for the most part, wild animals would prefer to avoid us, as much as possible.

That said, anything can happen. It is all about probabilities. If the bears, and other critters, can find food in the wild, they will probably not take any risks to get the food off of your HOT smoker.

Desperate animals, like desperate people, do things they wouldn't normally do.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-06-2013, 10:17 PM   #15
martyleach
Quintessential Chatty Farker

When backpacking in California (Sierras) we have to put all the food in a big bag and hoist it up with a rope onto the end of a branch in a tree. About 12 feet up. In parts of Yosemite that is the only way you won't get raided by the bears. I would never consider smoking anything in bear country unless I was leaving to sleep somewhere else.

Custom wooden handles for BBQ's made by Marty Leach (oh, that's me)
[url]http://www.amlwoodart.com[/url]
martyleach is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.