MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 04-29-2013, 07:15 PM   #1
rgrizzle
Full Fledged Farker

Question what is everyone charging....

I am working on a special menu for a local bar and grill locally, they want me to come in on Sundays and special event to do bbq. We are going to do a 75% to 25% split of all bbq sales. I don't want to out price myself but I do need to make it worth my time.

I will be doing two meats per Sunday. For example Baby Backs and chicken. or Pulled Pork and chicken, or brisket and chicken. the sides will be baked beans and cole slaw. for ribs I was thinking 1/2 rack platter for $15.00 whole rack platter for $28.00 chicken platter for $10.00. on the pulled pork I am thinking $5.00 sandwhiches $8.50 with fries or sides. pulled pork platter for $12.00. brisket sanwhiches for $6.50,brisket combo fries or sides $9.50 brisket platter for $15.00

The owner is giving me free run of the kitchen on those days and his cook.
any thought or suggestion please HELP!!!!!

Old 04-29-2013, 07:21 PM   #2
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

25% to the bar will pretty much be ALL your profit. Why give them so much?

Just the fact that you will be bringing in more drinkers should be compensation enough!
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-29-2013, 07:48 PM   #3
landarc

Normally, I look at 4x food costs for total food price to customer. However, if you give away 25%, then you are looking at 3x food costs. 3x food costs, assuming you are buying at restaurant wholesale is going to return marginal profits to you, and a huge profit to the bar owner. To me, this is a walk away.

I think Bubba is right, and he is a pro, that going with a 25% courtesy fee to the bar owner, who is getting additional draw from you, that is generous. Unless you want to work for free, to build business. Will you get to market and give out your name and materials, sell your catering or party cooking? What would be the upside?

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-29-2013, 08:27 PM   #4
IamMadMan

I agree with BBQ Bubba.....

Definitely too high of a split with the owner. To adjust your prices to make it profitable for you at that ratio would make you look like a crook charging too much.

Bottom line, the blame will be on you for high prices and no one will consider you for catering.
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2013, 09:35 PM   #5
rgrizzle
Full Fledged Farker

what would you guys suggest on this then. the split be 80% to 20% or 90% to 10% help me out here this is new to me. what about the pricing does is look par for the course. From what I can tell looking at other menus and doing some math I figured I was at least heading in the correct direction. the reason I was looking at the 25% was the bar is going to supply all of the plates and utinsels.

Old 04-29-2013, 09:35 PM   #6
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

I'd go there and drink the beer and let someone else do the barbecue. I'd figure out what you want to make and tell him to pay you that and you will cook for him. Let him assume all the risk.
HBMTN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2013, 09:39 PM   #7
rgrizzle
Full Fledged Farker

all I have to do is show up fix the meat and baked beans and cole slaw and sit and drink cold beer all day listening to the band. the bar is going to do all the order taking and serving. he is paying all that labor.

Old 04-29-2013, 09:43 PM   #8
landarc

You're going about this backwards, you cannot succeed in the food business basing on other folks menu prices. You will go broke doing that.

1. Set what you are going to serve. Be complete in this, account for all the food on the plate, from main to sides and condiments.

2. Make an estimate of how much food you expect to sell each day, break it down to the point you know all of the components.

3. Find out where you will be buying the foods.

4. Build a detailed shopping list and find out your hard food costs. From there, you can figure out how much each menu item costs you to produce, include fuel, charcoal, wood, spices, your time. From there, figure out how much you can charge using the rule of 3x or 4x food costs. That will tell you what your profit is. From there, you split profit, not gross.

5. Beware, and I mean, do not enter into, any agreement that has you splitting off a share of your gross. Even a 10% share of gross really can mean you make no money. Do your leg work, estimate profit and let him know what you will share of profit.

[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->
Old 04-29-2013, 09:54 PM   #9
rgrizzle
Full Fledged Farker

Sorry I probably should have explained that I have done the leg work and done some math, on food cost and used the 3x and 4x costing. I have a supplier of meats at wholesale, the best prices I can find around here. I what I was meaning is, does the pricing look in line with what everyone else is doing. the plus side is that I would be the only show in town doing bbq.

Old 04-29-2013, 10:05 PM   #10
landarc

Ohhhh....then yeah, you look a little low to me, but, I am in California.

[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-29-2013, 10:20 PM   #11
rgrizzle
Full Fledged Farker

thanks landarc. seeing that your in Cali. Then they should be good. Now to figure out the % thing with the owner. I do know that on a nice sunday, with good weather out, that bar can pack in around 2-300 people. this is a big biker bar here locally. I know that I am not going to be able to retire doing this only on Sundays but hope to atleast make a few bucks

Old 04-30-2013, 01:06 AM   #12
BigBellyBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

5 dollar sandwiches is way low...

Old 04-30-2013, 08:15 AM   #13
toadhunter911
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBellyBBQ View Post
5 dollar sandwiches is way low...
I was thinking more like $7.00 for PP and $8.00 for brisket sammies, but it really depends on how much your paying for the meat?

Old 04-30-2013, 08:57 AM   #14
Cayman1
is one Smokin' Farker

I'll let the others discuss prices, but from a legal perspective, there are numerous areas that need to be addressed, i.e. are you covered as an Additional Insured under his liability policies, will there be an Indemnity and Hold Harmless Agreement, etc.
Get some legal advice so you don't end up in a big mess for very little profit.

Old 04-30-2013, 10:57 AM   #15
cynfulsmokersbbq
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
You're going about this backwards, you cannot succeed in the food business basing on other folks menu prices. You will go broke doing that.

1. Set what you are going to serve. Be complete in this, account for all the food on the plate, from main to sides and condiments.

2. Make an estimate of how much food you expect to sell each day, break it down to the point you know all of the components.

3. Find out where you will be buying the foods.

4. Build a detailed shopping list and find out your hard food costs. From there, you can figure out how much each menu item costs you to produce, include fuel, charcoal, wood, spices, your time. From there, figure out how much you can charge using the rule of 3x or 4x food costs. That will tell you what your profit is. From there, you split profit, not gross.

5. Beware, and I mean, do not enter into, any agreement that has you splitting off a share of your gross. Even a 10% share of gross really can mean you make no money. Do your leg work, estimate profit and let him know what you will share of profit.
OUTSTANDING Advice!!!
Thank You for sharing!
cynfulsmokersbbq is offline   Reply With Quote