Maverick ET732 and High Temp Silicone?

C

Cohiba

Hey All,

Getting my accessories ready before I get the smoker. Yesterday, I received my Maverick ET732 and am curious about putting high temp silicone on the wire connection in the probe.

I know I'm not crazy, I've read this somewhere on preventing moisture accidently entering the wire at the base of the probe.

Anyone done this? Pictures? Does it matter...if it breaks just buy another probe?

Thanks!!

Cohiba

Heatshrink works really well with the probes. Just shrink it down with a lighter or a heatgun. Then when you have it in the cooker, it will shrink it down even tighter and offer more protection for the connection.

Sorry if this is a dumb question but how high of a temp can heat shrink take?

What I need to know...is where (connection point? wire and probe) to put the silicone. At connection point, then maybe up the wire about an inch?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry if this is a dumb question but how high of a temp can heat shrink take?

According to some websites Heat Shrink can is heat resistant up to 428F. The probes for the Maverick are reported to be heat resistant up to 716F.

If you are using it to smoke, you will not be passing either of those temperatures. As for moisture getting into the connection point, the heat shrink will help keep moisture out, as it will form a tight seal around the probe and wire.

What about moisture seaping through the braided covering on the wire. I agree that moisture will get in right at the probe and sealing that will prevent most of it but couldn't there still be a chance it could seap through the braiding and go under the sealant/heat shrink. Basically wicking it's way into the probe.

Chad

I put some silicone on the probe of my Polder (where the braided shielding enters the probe). Still works great.

Matt

What about moisture seaping through the braided covering on the wire. I agree that moisture will get in right at the probe and sealing that will prevent most of it but couldn't there still be a chance it could seap through the braiding and go under the sealant/heat shrink. Basically wicking it's way into the probe.

Chad

I agree. I work with thermocouples like this for a living and this happens

Actually the shrink wrap may make things worse as it may not allow the moisture to dry and can trap it in the probe.

I took high temp silicone sealant and worked it into the braiding of the wire and onto the probe.

So far its working. I dont know if there is a perfect solution or not. I just keep the probes away from moisture as good as I can

Back