MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-02-2013, 02:00 PM   #16
caseydog
somebody shut me the fark up.

Leaks above your fire level are less of a problem than leaky bottom vents. Be careful adjusting the bottom vents, they bend easier than I think they should. Convection will draw air through leaky bottom vents, and run your temperatures up.

Since I now use an iQue 110, I sealed my other two bottom vents up.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 04-02-2013, 02:47 PM   #17
jonobacon
Got Wood.

At first I struggled to get my temps under control with the WSM, but the more grease that built up inside to create a seal has helped it maintain a consistent burn.

A few observations I have noticed:

* On very hot days the WSM can be difficult to keep at around 225 - 250. Good use of the water pan helps here.
* Always crack open the bottom vents equally - if you have one of the vents closed more than the other the temp seems more complex to control.
* I usually control the top vent first when adjusting temp and then the bottom ones next - some folks leave the top vent open all the time but I have struggled to keep my temp under control there.

On my last cook I made the mistake of throwing some big chunks of wood in there at first and this caused some flare ups which adjusted my temps, as you can see in my cook log at http://www.bbqpad.com/85/ - I think in the future I will break my wood up so there is less concentrated heat on each block.

Old 04-02-2013, 02:57 PM   #18
NazBQ
On the road to being a farker

This has been a helpful thread!
[B]Cook Team[/B] @ [URL="http://WolfCandyBBQ.com"]WolfCandyBBQ.com[/URL]
[B]Web Designer[/B] @ [URL="http://barbecuewebsites.com"]BarbecueWebsites.com[/URL]
NazBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2013, 03:10 PM   #19
Texas Turtle
Take a breath!

Mine leaks a little smoke around the door and at various spots in the joints, but it is still relatively new (4 cooks). If I am using the IQUE and keeping the bottom vents closed, I can close the top vent and knock the temp down like a rock, so I'm not real concerned about a few small leaks. When I'm not using it, I keep a bungee cord around the door to hold it against the side of the cooker and it seems to be getting better in that regard. The big one uses a lot of fuel compared to the 18.5 I had before.

Old 04-02-2013, 04:32 PM   #20
Harbormaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Clark

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS-TX View Post
Is there a difference in temp control, if you shut down 2 vents and just use one?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayman1 View Post
Probably only difference is that the charcoal in the area where the vent is open may burn before the coals in the area where the vents are closed.
That's how I was going to answer.
Of course, there are times when I have 2 vents closed and the third open jus a little bit.
Brinkman Cimmaron.
"For when democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote"
Harbormaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-02-2013, 04:40 PM   #21
pigout sc
On the road to being a farker

I have had problems controlling temps with mine as well. I have had it about 18 months and have to be real careful to start with just a couple of lit coals and start shutting the vents at 150 or so. I know my door leaks as all do but also believe one of my bottom vents is slightly raised when shut and may be drawing in some air. Hope you find your problem, the weber folks are good with working with you if you can't.
pigout sc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2013, 09:07 PM   #22
yakdung
is One Chatty Farker

I only use two vents on my 22 WSM. I leave the top vent always open, and only use one of the bottom vents.
yakdung is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2013, 09:32 PM   #23
kds9547
is one Smokin' Farker

I've got about 15 cooks on mine now. It still leaks around the door a little but I'm not sure that's ever going to change. I have very little smoke coming from around the joints. I use the Digi-Q to control temps most of the time. The temp at the bottom rack is usually 15* cooler on my 22.5.

Maybe the Cajun Bandit door is better - I'm just not sure it's worth the cost.
kds9547 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2013, 10:29 PM   #24
JS-TX
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kds9547 View Post
I've got about 15 cooks on mine now. It still leaks around the door a little but I'm not sure that's ever going to change. I have very little smoke coming from around the joints. I use the Digi-Q to control temps most of the time. The temp at the bottom rack is usually 15* cooler on my 22.5.

Maybe the Cajun Bandit door is better - I'm just not sure it's worth the cost.
My door "leaks at the top corners, but it hasn't affected temps at all. I'm also thinking of getting that cajun door but it's not a big priority for me. Are you using water in your water pan? I ask cause 15* isn't a big temp difference, which is good to know.
JS-TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2013, 08:29 AM   #25
Cayman1
is one Smokin' Farker

If your door is bad enough to need changing, Weber will replace it at no cost. I still get a little smoke out the door when the fan kicks on, but I don't expect airtight. If you take your time you can shape the door to fit better. I think they all get flattened a bit in shipping, at least the last 4 that I have been a part of putting together.

Bottom grate is generally 4-10 degrees different than top rack and it will vary depending on whether you use a foiled pan, foiled with heat sink, or foiled with water in pan.

Old 04-03-2013, 10:03 AM   #26
nthole
Babbling Farker

I'll throw out a disagree with the suggestion of cracking all bottom vents and not just one. I use only one in order to better control mine and find I can fine tune temp just a couple degrees with just the one.

However, like CD I now use an IQue on mine which makes it super easy. In fact, I actually drilled in a UDS style pipe nipple so that I get a direct connect without the canister attachment and it works super easy. The doors I've put foil ducting tape over to completely seal them as I don't use a water pan or a clay pot.

I can easily maintain anywhere from 190 to 350.

The main thing would be, whatever you learn over these first 5 or 10 cooks will, in the long run, be a bit irrelevant. Your pit is going to change after a few cooks. So just chuck some pork butts and fatties on there and run it without having to worry too much about temp and get some wear on it. Then you'll be able to start really working on controlling it.
Pork Pistols BBQ
MOFO Illuminati

MOINK...It's what's for linner.
nthole is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2013, 10:26 AM   #27
HankB
is One Chatty Farker

I usually use a single bottom vent to control temperatures on my WSMs (with the other two remaining closed.)

I had trouble controlling temperature on the first couple cooks so I ran a bead of high temp silicone around the bottom edge of the middle section.

Old 04-03-2013, 12:46 PM   #28
Vince RnQ
is One Chatty Farker

This is an excellent idea! Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankB View Post
I usually use a single bottom vent to control temperatures on my WSMs (with the other two remaining closed.)

I had trouble controlling temperature on the first couple cooks so I ran a bead of high temp silicone around the bottom edge of the middle section.

Vince RnQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2013, 01:10 PM   #29
VA-Dave
Full Fledged Farker

Excellent feedback folks.

I didn't have temp problems, but it was only a 5 hour cook.

I was very concerned that with all of the leaks, the coals would try to pull air from them.

Great suggestions and thanks for helping out. I really love this thing.

Dave