MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-26-2012, 10:28 AM   #1
mikeyd
Got Wood.

Default Ok here's my Rotisserie Turkey on my SMG

Hello All,

First off a HUGE shout out to everyone that helped me figure out how I was going to Rotisserie this Turkey on my santa maria. After speaking with some of you at the Brethren Bash and obtaining excellent info, I'm happy to post my results.

I did a dry brine on this turkey. Never tried a wet brine or dry but I decided to try dry this year and see how it turned out. Well I was able to sustain a excellent 350 degrees in my pit as you can see I have thermometers all over the place lol. The turkey took 3hrs. 15min. to cook and everyone raved so much they continously asked me to send them the recipe throughout the entire night lol. It was all gone in about 30 minutes. Thought it was a small 13.5 lb bird. There was about 15 adults & 5 children

I was very please how evenly it cooked and how moist it was throughout every part of the bird including the breast. The brine gave it flavor from beginning to end no matter what part you took. Probably the 2nd most moist bird behind my mom's turkey :)

I followed this recipe:
http://www.foodgizmo.com/foodgizmore...t=turkey%brine
I did use a little less salt as I don't like my food to salty, but after hearing some people say it could have used a little more salt but still fantastic, maybe I will follow the recipe more closely lol. I don't care what people say brines do add flavor including SALT : ) I went beyond this recipe and after washing the bird off the night before of the brine, and sticking it in the fridge overnight, the day of the cook I removed it about 2 hours before cooking it and I went back to my moms original basting sauce which is something real simple like Butter, red pepper flakes(in a jar and wet) not very hot, garlic, little salt and something else she puts in similar to chicken boullian (Thanks mom for making it :) I brushed that all inside and outside the turkey, then inside we cut up some apples, yellow onions, and carrots and stuck it in there and sewed her loosely.

So without further delay here she is..........

Mike

Thanks from: --->

Old 11-26-2012, 10:36 AM   #2
BBQ PD
is one Smokin' Farker

And she looks beautiful. Glad it worked out for you.

CBJ, 15' custom BBQ trailer with a Backwoods Competitor, Pitts & Spitts off-set, & Santa Maria grill. Ole Hickory CTO, 1 BGE, 2 Weber kettles and 1 Smokey Joe, BWS Chubby, Sonoma gasser, and a BBQ store full of everything BBQ.
BBQ PD is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-26-2012, 10:47 AM   #3
el_matt
Babbling Farker

Nice job. That's a cool setup that you have. Both the Santa Maria grill, and the rotisserie mod.

Matt
el_matt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-26-2012, 12:01 PM   #4
MisterChrister
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Wayyyyyy cool setup! Quite the visual appeal for everyone watching and waiting in anticipation to sink their teeth into it! Good looking bird too!!

Old 11-26-2012, 12:48 PM   #5
mikeyd
Got Wood.

Thanks all! Ya I was really nervous on how it would turn out and hold long to cook it etc...but I found that by keeping my temps at a steady 350 it was almost like cooking it in the oven but BETTER!

This is not to forget mentioning that I had to fight a few family members away from the turkey as it was cooking because they were watering at the mouth and almost looked as if they were in a trance lol.

-Mike

Old 11-26-2012, 01:01 PM   #6
Will work for bbq
Babbling Farker

Very nice, I like how you decided to mount the Rotisserie.

Agent 000 (Double O Zero)
Certified MOINK Baller

When all else fails just ask yourself, WWGALD???
Super sexy Farkernaut Avatar by N8man

Will work for bbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-26-2012, 03:07 PM   #7
mbshop
Babbling Farker

wow ! thats a great setup and looks like its working out well.

Old 11-26-2012, 04:02 PM   #8
Bonewagon
Babbling Farker

Nice! I dig the setup.

Big Steel Keg, WSM, OTG, PBC, Kamado Joe Jr., Carson Rodizio, and a Super Fast [I]and[/I] Accurate [COLOR="Blue"]Blue[/COLOR] Splash-Proof Thermapen
Bonewagon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-26-2012, 10:38 PM   #9
Igotgas
is one Smokin' Farker

Fanfarkingtastic Mike,
Sorry me and the family missed that one. I guess that just means you will have to do another
[CENTER]Rescued Red MasterTouch - 1998[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Smoky Joe - 1984 (My Little Girls)[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Ranch Kettle X2- 2008 With Brother Marty Leach's Handles and 1991 CL find.[/CENTER]
[CENTER]SS Weber Performer X 2 [/CENTER]
Igotgas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-26-2012, 10:50 PM   #10
Tonybel
Babbling Farker

Nice set up. Bird looks good

Old 11-26-2012, 11:28 PM   #11
tish
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Looks fantastic! Do follow the recipe closely for your next one. I dry-brined mine, and cooked it on the rotisserie, too. They don't come out tasting salty at all. Just well seasoned all the way through. Great job!
Bubba Keg, Weber Genesis E-310 NG
Mini WSM, Shhh!!! Michael's surprise
Cornflower Blue Thermapen Might not be the fastest, but it sure is the prettiest!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Proud recipient of a certifiably uncertified limited edition MOINK ball certificate!!
tish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-27-2012, 12:40 AM   #12
R2Egg2Q
is Blowin Smoke!

Looks great Mike!

BGEs: XL, Large, Small, Mini, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, MAK 1-Star General, Karubecue C-60, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA, Summit S-620 NG; custom BGE & Weber handles by brethren martyleach

CLICK HERE to join us in a BBQ Brethren Throwdown!
R2Egg2Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-27-2012, 04:32 AM   #13
westy
is one Smokin' Farker

Beautiful!
westy is offline   Reply With Quote