MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-19-2012, 07:06 AM   #46
QTEX
Full Fledged Farker

One of our local cooks has been the IBCA cooker of the year two years in a row now, he cooks on a Safe. Another buddy has now owned a safe for about three months now and has three RGC's on bis new safe. Second guy owns a restaurant and regularly puts his practice meats on at home( about 15 minutes from restaurant) and leaves the pit alone for hours before he goes to check his meats, has done it both with and without a Guru and no problems at all. He does cook at 275 to 300 but the temps do not vary or fluctuate once he sets it. Just dont see why your having those issues, something not adding up.
QTEX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-19-2012, 08:11 AM   #47
stephan
is one Smokin' Farker

I just dont see the need for a guru or the like to run a safe. IMHO
stephan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-19-2012, 10:41 AM   #48
JS-TX
is Blowin Smoke!

My guess is that the Safe/Vault are much like my insulated keg. IF that's the case the 2 things you should keep in mind to prevent temps from not running away are:

Start with a small fire (in my keg it's an area slightly smaller than a baseball). It's always easier to stoke a fire then it is to get it smaller. Also don't put any wood chunks directly on the lit area.

2nd thing is you have to nurse the temp. up slowly. It takes time to heat up all that metal and the heat slowly accumulates in the cooking chamber, remember the insulation is doing it's job. It takes longer this way to get up to temp. but that's just part of the cooking process for me anyway. I don't use water in my keg, but IMO water seems to complicate the matter. I'm sure others have figured this out though.
JS-TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-19-2012, 11:12 AM   #49
Dr_KY
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I'm wondering why too. I see some folk using forced draft on for example a UDS now with them being so stable with temps it appears overkill to run induction on them. Have we gotten into more is better thinking and actually overshooting the mark?

I don't run a up to date Guru or Stoker being mine is analog but wouldn't these blowers aim for a set temp then once reached and cut out the actual heat building up in the walls continue to rise naturally causing a over shoot?
Bringing the temps back down becomes a chore while now the induction has caused more fuel glowing that normally needed to sustain the set mark?

The question becomes do we need forced draft on these cookers or would a remote thermo with alarm do far better at monitoring ? Granted it puts the human element back into play but being they run pretty rock solid shouldn't be a problem.

Slappin that bass like some delerious funky preist!!!

UDS, Half Pint (Mini UDS), Weber, ProQ 20, Kegrilla
*250 gallon cooker- 'The Meat Beast!!'*

British BBQ Championships
Grand Champion 2008
~~~~
British BBQ Society - Southern Championship
Grand Champions 2009
Dr_KY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-19-2012, 11:16 AM   #50
rabeb25
Full Fledged Farker

I have had my share of issues as well, but I will tell you guys who only use the door thermometer. You can get a 50+F variance between shelves(top to bottom). Just an FYI. They are now producing Vaults with my ball valve design.

Old 11-19-2012, 11:26 AM   #51
JS-TX
is Blowin Smoke!

Yes, on an insulated pit a Guru or Stoker will often overshoot your target temp. These don't account for the gradual accumulation of heat in these type of cookers. However, you can do a stepped approach. For example if your target temp is 275, set the controller to 190*, overshoot will be level out to about 215*, set the controller to 230*, overshoot will level out to 245*, etc... PITA I admit but useful for an unattended overnight cook. My keg can be extremely air sensitive, so I will put the meat on during the ramping up period, so I don't have to open my cooker when the temp. is on target. The top vent is usually open just a crack too, I bet the exhaust vents on these safes should be 3/4 closed.
JS-TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-19-2012, 12:47 PM   #52
Dr_KY

We are in the same train of thought JS.

Grand Champion 2008
~~~~
Grand Champions 2009

Old 11-19-2012, 02:16 PM   #53
WhiskeyPigBbq
Knows what a fatty is.

I have a CyberQ and and was keeping an eye on the fan. It didnt come on at all being that the set point was were I warmend the pit up to with a weed burner. I did expect the temps to climb somewhat after heating and they did into the 240's (acceptable). With the damper half open on the fan and the rest of the intake taped up the temps kept climbing. I dont rely on the Temp Gauge on the door it is way off. Last night I used the guru pit probe along with one of the open meat probes to keep an ey on temperature.
WhiskeyPigBbq is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:44 PM   #54
doctordun
Knows what a fatty is.

I suppose I am lucky. My door temp gauge reads 10deg low from my electronic probes. I have noticed that is is slower to react.

I am doing two racks of ribs right now and my Safe has held steady at 228deg for three hours now with the inlet at 1/2inch and the out vent open about the same.
I started with my charcoal box full of lump and a split of hickory.
Pre heated with a weed burner and added about a large fist of glowing coals in the corner touching the wood and the lump. Takes me about an hour to inch up to my target temp. I use that time to prep the meat.
Getting ready to foil. I have had great success with the 3-2-1 method.

Old 11-19-2012, 03:37 PM   #55
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

So how much do you want for it? I have a buddie here in Chicagoland who is seriously considering buying one.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk 2

Proudly Smoking on a UDS, PBC &
Accidental Winner of the 2012 "Saucy" Throwdown.
---k--- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-19-2012, 04:06 PM   #56
doctordun
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabeb25 View Post
I have had my share of issues as well, but I will tell you guys who only use the door thermometer. You can get a 50+F variance between shelves(top to bottom). Just an FYI. They are now producing Vaults with my ball valve design.
My Safe only shows about a 15 deg variance from top to bottom.
I guess because it is much smaller than the Vault.

I wish I could add the ball valve. It would make my life a bit easier.
Perhaps they will offer an upgrade that I can just bolt on.

Old 11-19-2012, 04:26 PM   #57
Dr_KY

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyPigBbq View Post
Fail.........temp down below 200 from 275 and close to half the lump its gone after less than 2 hours. Intake half open and exhaust fully open.. Back to three drawing board tomorrow.
Can we get some photographs of the set up and exactly what you are doing?

Have you used any other means to check the temp inside the cooker other than the door and the Guru?

I'm curious to see the amount of fuel you start off with if it's half gone in two hours. If it's burning that fast with a full load then I would expect your temps to be in the grilling range.

Grand Champion 2008
~~~~
Grand Champions 2009

Old 11-20-2012, 12:47 PM   #58
doctordun
Knows what a fatty is.

Just did a test today as I was getting ready to smoke a turkey and some chickens.
I've never smoked at 325 before, but that seems to be the consensus for fowl to get the skin crisp.

True. The top and bottom grate had a variance of about 50degs but only on the heating up phase. When I stabilized the temp at about 210deg and waited for about 30 minutes to make sure, the variance from top to bottom grate was 11 degrees.
My door thermometer was overall 10degs low in the center. So if I want the top grate actual temperature, I add 15degs to the reading and for the bottom grate, I only add 5degs.

Just learning my new pit. It's fun.
Trying some pecan today for the first time also. It really has a different smell.

Old 11-20-2012, 02:18 PM   #59
PaPaQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Clyde

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/at...1&d=1353442252
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fire triangle.jpg (9.9 KB, 346 views)
PaPaQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-20-2012, 03:35 PM   #60
stephan
is one Smokin' Farker

Those door thermometers are adjustable.
stephan is offline   Reply With Quote