MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 04-02-2005, 05:28 AM   #1
JohnMcD348
is One Chatty Farker

Default Questions about Competitions

Alright,me and a friend from work have been talking about getting into the Backyard competitions when they come around next year. We're already working on rubs, a girl at work is going to work up a secret family recipe for BBQ sauce and we may even start building our own rig(got a good deal on some empty 60+gal Propane tanks)
We figure to try and be ready for next years Lakeland Pigfest. This is what got us sorta hooked on the idea. We're not lookin to make money(we all work at the Hospital together) but we would like to get some insight and someone to help answer most of my stupid questions. We are virgins to the whole thing.
First ?.... Entry fees, when they say$50.00, is that for the entire thing or is it per entry? $50.00 Rib, $50.00, Brisket, etc.
Both Mike and I have the BSKD's, still working on modding them out completely, any other advice on gear we should acquire before hand. Any advice or comments are welcome and incouraged.

JTMcD.

We sleep peaceful in our beds because Rough Men stand ready in the night to visit violence upon those who would do us harm.......G. Orwell

Brinkman Smoke King Deluxe, The Famous StudeDera, Weber Smokey Joe Gold and Platinum, Brinkman Professional Grill, Brinkman ECB and 2 Weber Smoky Mountians
JohnMcD348 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2005, 07:38 AM   #2
chad
somebody shut me the fark up.

You have to read the application - $50 is about right for the amateur/backyard division.

Most pro division entries are $50-75 per meat and/or $200-300 single fee and you cook what you want - in the pro division you must cook all four meats to qualify for Grand or Reserve honors.

Depending on the contest the backyard division often only does chicken and ribs - occassionally you'll see all four meats offered but not often.

Also, backyard competitor does NOT compete head-to-head with the pros. There is a seperate table judging the backyard entries (at least at the contests I've been involved with). You'll be scored seperately but will recieve a score sheet showing how you did.

I'm sure others will jump in - the Lakeland event is about the biggest KCBS gig in Florida.

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2005, 09:17 AM   #3
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

I ahve seen the entry fees listed both ways. A "per entry" and also a "flat rate" for all. Like Dave said.. the details will be in the application.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2005, 11:23 AM   #4
jminion
is one Smokin' Farker

John
If the tank you have found is a used tank DO NOT cut on this tank, have it done by a pro. Every year you can find an article about a tank blowing up while someone is cutting on them.
WSM
Primos
Klose
couple of Ranch kettles
jminion is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2005, 11:34 AM   #5
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jminion
John
If the tank you have found is a used tank DO NOT cut on this tank, have it done by a pro. Every year you can find an article about a tank blowing up while someone is cutting on them.
Hehe, that's why a buddy and I have one sitting in a barn. He said he'd heard that if you ran a hose from your diesel tailpipe to the tank the carbon monoxide would would be neutralized and you could cut it. I told him to give me a call after he got it cut.....2 counties away :D Between the propane, and cutting a pressurized vessel like he described I wasn't having any part of that.

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2005, 04:49 PM   #6
JohnMcD348
is One Chatty Farker

Oh yea. I'm new but no fool. My Bro-in-Law is a master Machinist and also the manager for an indstrial pump manufacturer. He is old school taught, journeyman up from his father. He welds, fabricates and works as the mechanic. Already got him in on the idea and he's willing to do the hard part. All I have to do is lay out the design we all agree on and he'll put it together. I'm still working with him to finish the mods for my BSKD but they're coming along well.

Mike and I are pretty much figuring on starting out with the backyard event at the PigFest next year. That'll be our trial by fire so to speak.

JTMcD.

We sleep peaceful in our beds because Rough Men stand ready in the night to visit violence upon those who would do us harm.......G. Orwell

Brinkman Smoke King Deluxe, The Famous StudeDera, Weber Smokey Joe Gold and Platinum, Brinkman Professional Grill, Brinkman ECB and 2 Weber Smoky Mountians
JohnMcD348 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2005, 05:07 PM   #7
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

Quote:
Both Mike and I have the BSKD's, still working on modding them out completely, any other advice on gear we should acquire before hand. Any advice or comments are welcome and incouraged
John--
Why, pray tell, are you waiting till next year?
If you have 2 BSKD's, you are more than ready
Actually, one is plenty. Most Backyard events are ribs and chickie (though they do vary) and a BKSD will cook up several slabs and 20 chickie thighs to select from. You will have room left over for a ton of ABTs and Fatties to munch on. Those meats even use the same basic temps, with the chickie being a bit higher, but close enough--they need to be on the bottom (hotter part) anyway.
Heck, if it is Ribs and Chickie, you can get a good nights sleep and light the fire at 5AM or so to make normal turn-in times. What a deal
You will need some bus tubs or something to wash up in and some way to heat water. Turkey fryer heats water great. Need a card table and a couple of chairs for personal comfort and snacks/etc. Obviously need a couple of coolers including a dry cooler to hold the ribs.

Don't stress over secret or special spices and rubs. Just pick a stock one you like, tweak it a bit if you feel the need, and go cook! The exotics are used by the SuperStars and I bet alot of them just tweak stock stuff anyway. For the Chickie, marinate them a couple of hours in a good Italian Dressing. Could not be easier

Ya got the equipment. Like Emeril says--"This ain't Rocket Science here...".

You live in the center of the FBA circuit and there are many more events near you this year.

SO--GO COOK and have fun!

JMHO.

TIM
Just sold Yoder YS640 due health
New Ninja Woodfired Grill for Christmas 2023
The_Kapn is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2005, 08:58 PM   #8
smokincracker
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapndsl
Quote:
Both Mike and I have the BSKD's, still working on modding them out completely, any other advice on gear we should acquire before hand. Any advice or comments are welcome and incouraged
John--
Why, pray tell, are you waiting till next year?
If you have 2 BSKD's, you are more than ready
Actually, one is plenty. Most Backyard events are ribs and chickie (though they do vary) and a BKSD will cook up several slabs and 20 chickie thighs to select from. You will have room left over for a ton of ABTs and Fatties to munch on. Those meats even use the same basic temps, with the chickie being a bit higher, but close enough--they need to be on the bottom (hotter part) anyway.
Heck, if it is Ribs and Chickie, you can get a good nights sleep and light the fire at 5AM or so to make normal turn-in times. What a deal
You will need some bus tubs or something to wash up in and some way to heat water. Turkey fryer heats water great. Need a card table and a couple of chairs for personal comfort and snacks/etc. Obviously need a couple of coolers including a dry cooler to hold the ribs.

Don't stress over secret or special spices and rubs. Just pick a stock one you like, tweak it a bit if you feel the need, and go cook! The exotics are used by the SuperStars and I bet alot of them just tweak stock stuff anyway. For the Chickie, marinate them a couple of hours in a good Italian Dressing. Could not be easier

Ya got the equipment. Like Emeril says--"This ain't Rocket Science here...".

You live in the center of the FBA circuit and there are many more events near you this year.

SO--GO COOK and have fun!

JMHO.

TIM
Amen to that brother.
Dive in head first and you will have a good time.
You guys should go to Lake Alfred next month. (www.fbafla.org) Right next door to lakeland polk county!!
No good reason not to. Go to wallyworld and buy an indirect and go for it. Lots of guys there will help you just a great bunch of regulars go...

see you there
if it was easy it wouldn't be worth doin!!!

Jimmy
smokin' cracker bbq
smokincracker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2005, 09:21 PM   #9
sirthames
Knows what a fatty is.

Brothers if anyone is near NC on June 10-11, stop by the Blue Ridge Bar-b-cue festival. Wife and I went 2 years ago and had a ball. This year we are gonna take the kids. Maybe next year I will be able to enter in the backyard division.

Old 04-13-2005, 06:05 AM   #10
homebbq
Full Fledged Farker

We have been at the Tryon event the last 2 years, but this year there is a competing contest in Florida, so we won't be able to make it.

The Lakeland backyard event is like no other backyard event I have seen. There will be 50+ teams competing in Backyard! Anyway I agree with Jimmy, get your feet wet in Lake Alfred, should be a good contest.
www.outdoorcookingchannel.com
homebbq is offline   Reply With Quote