The Valley Experience- Part 2 (pork belly, fatty's, shorty's, creeks, cabins, guns, beer, wings) CRAZY PRON

ShencoSmoke

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
In April I posted a thread about our weekend in the Cedar Creek Valley, here it is in case you missed it.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=184558

This month we decided to head to the Fort Valley. The "Fort" is a gem, a valley tucked between the north and south forks of the Shenandoah River. There are no grocery stores, no traffic lights, and most importantly- no cell phone service.

The cabin (Owned by my friends family) is situated in the south end of the fort along the banks of Passage Creek. It has no plumbing or running water, the creek and the outhouse do the trick.
IMG_0227.jpg
When A arrived around 1 PM I started the UDS
IMG_0211.jpg
And started prepping a 10 pd pound pork belly
IMG_0210.jpg
Also got the camp fire started for some taters later that evening
IMG_0209.jpg
Here is the belly going on along side a few Shorty's
IMG_0214.jpg
Now for the fun stuff, some skeet and some pistol shooting
IMG_0217.jpg
The Jim Beam was for later that evening, we play sober when shooting, once the guns are put up it is a different story
IMG_0215.jpg
A quick check on the UDS, set in at 275
IMG_0220.jpg
OK- I'm going to fill you in on one the best games on the planet, STUMP-HAMMER-NAIL
IMG_0223.jpg
Rules: Drive a large nail in the center of a hard chunk of wood, each person gets one swing to try and sink the nail, the trick is that you have to throw the hammer up and have it rotate twice, when you catch it (if you can) you can NOT CHANGE YOUR GRIP, however you catch it is how you swing it.
IMG_0226.jpg
A picture of the bar
IMG_0228.jpg
And when I glazed the fatty's for the the afternoon snack
IMG_0229.jpg
Here are the wings, the top batch was a vinegar sauce, the bottom was a mixture of big butz and louisiana hot sauce
IMG_0232.jpg
The belly came off after about 8 hours. We took a break from poker and devoured it with a vinegar sauce (George's- Nashville, NC). Sorry about the bad pic, I almost got stabbed by a fork trying to take the picture.
IMG_0233.jpg
And a view of Passage Creek as I left this morning. It's not a cabin unless you have to ford a creek to get there.
IMG_0235.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Looks like another good time! You guys are doin' it right!

YES!!!!!!!! Now that is a man crib if I ever saw one. If you ever felt the need to diversify your list of friends to include a Yankee....I would let you invite me :)

Nice looking cook and cool looking cabin.

Thanks everyone. The only people that were not happy we're our wives. We are usually not worth much when we drag ourselves back across the mountain the next day.

Now that's a weekend, great way to spend a couple days that's for sure. Even with the blurred pic that pork belly had my mouth watering......

Back