Into Austin, Out of Houston

BrewerDJ

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm going to Austin next week for a brewers convention. Staying a few extra days and planning on going to a few:twisted: breweries and BBQ places. I'm thinking about heading down to San Antonio and then heading for Houston. I've been searching through threads and decided to make a google map. I have a few places on here that are neither beer or bbq but are from Man v Food and some other shows that I like. It seems that there aren't too may places in San Antonio and really not too many places in Houston. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Anyone with the link can check out the map but you may have to sign into google.

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zMU9sxOvMrW8.kNnejVw4IN0o

Thanks!

You're missing Mi Tierra for Mexican in San Antonio and Spoetzl Brewery in Shiner.

Added Mi Tierra and I've already been to Spoetzl. They make great beer. Love the Wild Hare Pale Ale & the Koslch. Apparently lots of German influence in the Hill Country making great beer & BBQ!!!

Most of the legendary BBQ joints will be around Austin.

And, yes, the Texas Hill Country was heavily settled by Germans. That had a lot to do with brisket becoming the staple of Texas BBQ.

CD

You've got all of the ones I would have recommended in the central area. For Houston, I would add Gatlin's and Killen's.

You've got all of the ones I would have recommended in the central area. For Houston, I would add Gatlin's and Killen's.

I had Killen's Pop-up in Pearland but the label was the address. I just figured out how to changed the name of the map:icon_blush:. And I added Gatlin's. While I'm there I'm gonna try and update this post with pictures and details of my little adventure.

BTW, I need to get a new straw hat. The last time I was in Austin I bought a nice hat at the Hatbox on 6th. A couple of years ago my car was stolen and my hat was in the car. The cops found my car a day or two later and one of the few things that was missing from my car was my hat. And I had just broken it in. Any suggestions for a good place to buy a new hat :biggrin1:?

Wow. The Texas Hatter is a little pricey. I'm sure those are good hats but most of them start around $400. I think they are made to order.

I got a couple questions for the locals.

1st, Is the infamous line at Franklins worth it? If so, What time do people start lining up? I think they open at 11am. Do they have a "slow" day?

2nd, Snow's is only open on Saturdays. I could blow off the morning seminars at my conference and go to Lexington. Is that worth it? Should I make the early morning trip to eat and head back to Austin?

Thanks.

I got a couple questions for the locals.

1st, Is the infamous line at Franklins worth it? If so, What time do people start lining up? I think they open at 11am. Do they have a "slow" day?

2nd, Snow's is only open on Saturdays. I could blow off the morning seminars at my conference and go to Lexington. Is that worth it? Should I make the early morning trip to eat and head back to Austin?

Thanks.

I've had people I respect tell me that on any given day Snow's is probably serving the best brisket in Texas. I've never tried it, but it's probably not going to suck:wink:

Hit up a tractor supply for a nice Justin straw hat under $50 :) If you will be in town this Saturday- swing by the Leander TX VFW- BBQ comp my team will be at!

I had Killen's Pop-up in Pearland but the label was the address. I just figured out how to changed the name of the map:icon_blush:. And I added Gatlin's. While I'm there I'm gonna try and update this post with pictures and details of my little adventure.

BTW, I need to get a new straw hat. The last time I was in Austin I bought a nice hat at the Hatbox on 6th. A couple of years ago my car was stolen and my hat was in the car. The cops found my car a day or two later and one of the few things that was missing from my car was my hat. And I had just broken it in. Any suggestions for a good place to buy a new hat :biggrin1:?

You can get boots and hats all over Texas. I always went to Cavender's back when I wore that kind of stuff. Big selection and reasonable prices.

CD

Re: Franklin. There will be folks (especially on a Saturday when the whether is nice) in line starting as early as 7:00. It really starts rolling around 9:00. Is it worth it? Hard to say IMO. The brisket is fantastic, but I don't know that it is worth the hassle. I'm not into the "tailgating" atmosphere, and I don't drink, so... I've done the line at a few of these places, and an hour or so with someone that I can have a conversation with is cool. 2+ in the sun, not so much. Pecan Lodge is a good example of bearable. I live close enough that i can do it on a random weekday when I can get in line right at 10:00 and still be right at the front. It is also inside, so AC helps.

Snow's is cool, and the brisket is amazing. I am very much a morning person, so breakfast brisket works for me. The line isn't short, but that early in the morning (right at open) it isn't nearly as horrible as Franklin. One thing to watch for is that the weather is getting colder (I know it is relative for you being in NJ) and it is the rainy season. Both of those waits could be miserable.

Can't see your map for some reason, but make a stop in Lockhart for good BBQ.

Bludawg says San Antonio has great Tex-Mex.... I was there in June for a week and hit steakhouses and then went to Lockhart for good BBQ...

Back