MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ > BBQ Brethren Team Mentoring

Notices

BBQ Brethren Team Mentoring *On Topic Only* From the Backyard to the American Royal... thats our motto. Here is a place for those interested in Competition BBQ, but not yet ready to venture out alone can hook up and help out our veteran teams to see what its like on "The Dark Side". More instructions inside.

Old 10-07-2012, 11:20 AM   #16
bmonkman
Full Fledged Farker

So it has been about a month and a half since I started this thread and I have learned a fair bit since then.

This wknd my wife and I volunteered at the Keystone Classic in Harrisburg and had a great time. Watching how hard the teams work and considering most of them are competing (and not just there to socialize) I get it now. As Smokin Gnome said it is like walking in to someone's living room. Or in other words - it's about comfort and trust.

My wife and I were fortunate enough to be invited to hang with Smokin Gnome for a bit on Friday. I learned a bit and, more importantly, got to meet some great folks. Hopefully we didn't over stay our welcome as I know they were getting down to some serious prep after we left.

As we were wandering around my wife and I talked and she said "You know - they put a lot of effort into getting ready for this and have their own ways of doing things. How would anyone know if you weren't just looking to shoulder surf and steal secrets." And you know - she is right. (I'm a lucky guy she puts up with me. )

My thanks to Sal of Smokin Gnome and Erik and Ken of White Dog for taking time to talk to this noob. My wife, Kathy, and I really enjoyed it.
Ex-pat Canadian

[B][COLOR=Red]When all else fails just ask yourself, WWGALD???[/COLOR][/B]
bmonkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->

Old 10-07-2012, 12:06 PM   #17
smoke-n-my-i's
is One Chatty Farker

well said.... and did you by chance go back by Saturday morning to watch at a "distance" to see the rest of the story.... CRUNCH TIME as the meats are finishing up, and boxes are prepped and ran to turn ins?

Yes, a "noobie" has to learn, and as a team takes the time to teach, it does put a little damper on the "schedule" and one can get out of sync in the clock is not watched real close. Than and some people just don't have the patience to take on someone that wants to help and learn.

Good luck in your search to be a helper and learn. If you are ever in the area, come on by any time.
2 UGLY drum smokers
Weber 22 1/2" & 18 1/2" Kettle
Super fast RED Thermapen
Screaming fast ORANGE Thermapen
KCBS Certified Table Captain
KCBS Certified Judge
smoke-n-my-i's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:31 PM   #18
bmonkman
Full Fledged Farker

We volunteered both days. On Saturday I was a table runner and Kathy helped with the turn ins. We walked around a fair bit the hour or so before our work started. I used some common sense and just said hi and moved on. I was watching a couple of teams work.

I commented to Kath about the layout of Aporkalypse (sp?) work area and how the setup made for efficient movement. Was looking at the range of grills used and made mental notes for future questions.

Being a table runner put me in the position of being able to see how boxes looked and to hear some of the comments from the judges.

I was a fly on the wall for the Cooks' meeting on Friday and the Judges' meeting on Saturday. I also had the opportunity to judge two ancillary categories on Friday - though I had no clue what I was doing.

Saturday morning we met a fellow Brethren who is looking to start up a team and we agreed to talk more about this.

And finally got to know one of the KCBS judges and it turns out he is a fellow Canadian ex-pat. We will certianly keep in touch.

All in all it was a couple of days well spent. We are spending the day today recovering. At appears we are both rather out of shape or are just getting old.

And yes, we will definitely let you know next time we are coming down to your neck of the woods Smoke. I get down to RTP on a semi-regular basis.
Ex-pat Canadian

[B][COLOR=Red]When all else fails just ask yourself, WWGALD???[/COLOR][/B]
bmonkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 10-07-2012, 12:45 PM   #19
smoke-n-my-i's
is One Chatty Farker

Looks like the hook is set... LOL

I am, depending on what part of RTP, abt 30 minutes from there.... let me know and if it works out, we can meet up some where....

Glad you got to help out and learn a little abt the sport and love of BBQ...

And yes, it is a LOT of work... both physically, and mentally at times.
2 UGLY drum smokers
Weber 22 1/2" & 18 1/2" Kettle
Super fast RED Thermapen
Screaming fast ORANGE Thermapen
KCBS Certified Table Captain
KCBS Certified Judge
smoke-n-my-i's is offline   Reply With Quote