MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-01-2007, 10:54 AM   #1
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Fab-B and Meat Tenderizer Question

This past weekend I Judged my first comp, and I was exposed to a lot of very different tastes/flavors most pleasing and some not so, besides the 4 meats I judged Salmon and sauce.
After the Awards ceremony I overheard some cooks talking about some of the comment cards they received and one exclaimed in response to a dry brisket comment, that he might try some Fab-B next time. I realize that some people use it, MSG or other tenderizers for the comp meats, but would you ever use it on anything you cook at home? Just curious?

Brian
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2007, 12:22 PM   #2
Jeff_in_KC

I quit using it at comps. Scored second place last weekend. FAB B is not the key to moist brisket... not overcooking it is. Last year when I did use it, I never used it at home.
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2007, 12:31 PM   #3
drbbq
is One Chatty Farker

I use it at home, for catering and in competition.

I know Jeff does well in brisket without it and there are some others but I also know some very good brisket cooks that swear by it.
drbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2007, 12:35 PM   #4
DeanC
Full Fledged Farker

I don't use it at home, but I do use it in comps. I agree with Jeff on the key to cooking a moist brisket but I do think that it adds something to the overall finished product. I don't use it at home because its fairly expensive, at least to me, and I am lazy. I would suggest trying it yourself before you use it at a comp. My scores improved slightly when I started using it, but I will take whatever I can get.
2 Weber Kettles

Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar---Mark Twain

www.odmp.org
DeanC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2007, 01:00 PM   #5
tonto1117
is One Chatty Farker

Orderd some about two weeks ago and plan on giving it a side by side taste test. We'll see.........

Geer Pit by Jambo
FEC-100
WSM
WEBER GENISES GAS GRILL

CBJ

Bacon & eggs - Hens are involved but pigs are commited.
tonto1117 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2007, 02:47 PM   #6
Mooner
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Mooner

Ok dumb question but thats why were here right?? What is Fab B and how do you use it??

MOFO Chapter
Blue Moon Porkers
Yoder ys1500 / Masterbuilt 1050 / Pit Barrel Cooker
Mooner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2007, 03:38 PM   #7
cmcadams
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Now that I think I know better how to use it, I'll try it at home. I'll probably do a side by side test, one with, one without.

Jordan, Fab B is an injectable mixture that puts beef flavor and phosphates in brisket. You can get Fab P and Fab C for pork and chicken, too. The phosphates are a tenderizer so much as an aid in retaining/sucking up moisture.

I'd tried Fab B lite before, but mixed it wrong or without enough lead time and hated it... But after Ray's class, I have changed my mind about trying it again.

Livefire Whisky

CBJ, some comps, a few awards, Certified Artisan Steak Taster.

XL Big Green Egg, Bubba Keg Convection Grill, Weber Kettle, Charbroil Infrared and mad livefire cooking skillz! :)
cmcadams is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2007, 03:43 PM   #8
Pork Chop
Full Fledged Farker

Another question. Does MSG have any effect on the human heart? Like make you feel as though you are having a angina attack or????????? Not a good thing if the judge or judges are sent to the hospital with chest pains.
Pork Chop is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2007, 03:57 PM   #9
Flavor Dave
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

This is an injection, correct? What do you mix with it? I used (Fab B) it this weekend and did not place, but the taste was not bad at all.
Flavor Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2007, 04:08 PM   #10
Mooner
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Mooner

Speaking of taste. Does Fab B have a taste? or do you just mix it with your injection recipe for the flavor.

MOFO Chapter
Blue Moon Porkers
Yoder ys1500 / Masterbuilt 1050 / Pit Barrel Cooker
Mooner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2007, 06:47 PM   #11
Sawdustguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBoysBBQ View Post
Speaking of taste. Does Fab B have a taste? or do you just mix it with your injection recipe for the flavor.
FAB B has a very nice beefy flavor!

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2007, 06:53 PM   #12
Jeff_in_KC

I'm not sure how Fab B helps moisture in briskets. HoDeDo told me last year that he thinks it actually aids in drying the brisket out. I disagreed for awhile. Now I think I lean in that direction as well. That being said, I think it would be fine if you are careful with it. You gotta stay on top of what you're doing a bit more closely IMO.
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2007, 07:05 PM   #13
YankeeBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pork Chop View Post
Another question. Does MSG have any effect on the human heart? Like make you feel as though you are having a angina attack or????????? Not a good thing if the judge or judges are sent to the hospital with chest pains.
I've been using FAB for a few years now and I haven't heard of a single judge going to the hospital with chest pains. Give me a break !

This post is my opinion and mine alone, not necessarily that of the KCBS, it's board of directors or office nor that of Peter Pan, Tinkerbell and certainly not Rush Limbaugh.
YankeeBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2007, 07:31 PM   #14
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

For a starting point here--from the RoadMap--
--------------------

Fab Products
Many of us use the FAB line of products in our Que.
Here are some of the best historical threads.

http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showth...&highlight=FAB

And here is the post by the "one and only"--Jim Minion:

" The injection that is being used by many out there now days is more than a flavor thing. When the animal is slaughtered and goes into rigor it takes the natural phosphates out of the meat. Fab B replaces those phosphates lost in rigor meaning you increase moisture retension and yield. You will find that shrinkage is much less. This product does have a flavor factor also, it was a factor in the reason for DrBBQ's win in TX on Chris Lilly's show. I talked with Ed Roith and he made it clear that Doc's brisket had much more beef flavor than the other two briskets.

There are a number of Tx cooks I have met that are cooking brisket in high heat short cooks, Johnny Trigg and James Rice are two examples of cooks that use these techniques and win on a regular basis."

As a current update from me--it is even more expensive than before and I will continue to use it for Comp.
But, not at home.
I love my neighbors, but....

Take the "best shot" you want on results--with or without is up to you!

TIM
Just sold Yoder YS640 due health
New Ninja Woodfired Grill for Christmas 2023
The_Kapn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2007, 07:32 PM   #15
cmcadams

Jeff, the theory is:

Phosphates In Meat Products
    • Stabilize Color
      • Polyphosphates (SMPH) provide pH 6.5-6.6 to retard oxidation of natural meat pigments that accelerate at the normal ph of meat (5.2-6.0
    • Increased Tenderness
      • Phosphates (SMPH, TSPP) cause dissociation of actomyosin and improve tenderness of all meats.
      • Action not associated with pH
      • Pyrophosphates combine with magnesium to give muscle relaxation and improve tenderness

Livefire Whisky

CBJ, some comps, a few awards, Certified Artisan Steak Taster.

XL Big Green Egg, Bubba Keg Convection Grill, Weber Kettle, Charbroil Infrared and mad livefire cooking skillz! :)
cmcadams is offline   Reply With Quote