MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-08-2012, 07:40 AM   #31
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
I think that soul food, although it is an American style of food found all over the country today, has roots in the areas that once held slaves, and once harbored freed slaves. Yeah, it is everywhere today, but there was a migration of that style of cooking. But, it started with the slaves and freedmen.

Like most foods, I like some soul food, and not so much other soul food. But, I appreciate the history of soul food, whether I like it or not.

One of the best things about living in the "melting pot" is the incredible food we get to eat.

CD

You're correct Casey, I don't disagree that the soul food cuisine has deep roots that go back to our dark days of slavery. However, the North had legal slavery a century before it was established in the South:

http://www.slavenorth.com/slavenorth.htm

Therefore, it isn't specific to just the south in that regard. The items on the menu may have been different because of regional crops, but soul food isn't and can't be contained to just a particular region.

With all of that said...I love fried chicken and waffles!!! Haven't thought of the gravy aspect, but will definately be trying it, along with some sunny side eggs right over the top with a splash of Frank's!!!

[COLOR=darkred]“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.”[/COLOR] - Mark Twain

- Beautiful family
- Home made trailer mounted reverse flow offset w/ vertical chamber, Weber OTG and an ECB
CarolinaQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-08-2012, 07:54 AM   #32
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default NSFW - Language - Samual L Jackson language...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boshizzle View Post
That's soul food. Yeah, I know. Everyone wants to claim the "soul food" label nowadays. But, they are just posers. Chicken and waffles is soul food. Southern ethnic food. Not Italian. Not Irish. Not Eastern European.

It's authentic soul food.
It's gangsta...

[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-08-2012, 08:03 AM   #33
Boshizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaQue View Post
Interesting...I didn't realize that "soul food" was limited to only a single, particular region of the country???
I didn't mention any regions in my post except in regards to the origin.

It's kind of like "Southern Rock." Sure "Rock" music is from all over the country nowadays. But, it's origin is the South from Southerners. In that regard, all "Rock" music is "Southern Rock."

Old 10-08-2012, 08:15 AM   #34
Boshizzle

Massachusettes was the first colony to "officially" legalize slavery in 1641. But, the first slaves in the British colonies were brought to Jamestown, Virginia in 1619.

Technically, what is commonly referred to as "soul food" is actually Southern-style cooking originated by African Americans. Sometime in the 1960's, that style of cooking was renamed "soul food" in honor of the people that prepared food in the south during the slave period up until and before the civil war ended and the abolition of slavery was the law of the land.

I hate to muddle up things with facts of history, but I just did.

Old 10-08-2012, 10:32 AM   #35
Panthers65
is one Smokin' Farker

Ir originated with the slaves because it was cheap and easy to take into the field. Fried chicken could be put into their pockets before they left, and chicken was the cheapest source of protein available.

There are a couple places in Atlanta that have chicken and waffles, I think even a lot of the IHOP restaurants are serving it now. There is a corner diner in Decatur that does awesome breakfasts that serves it and it rocks. Never been to gladys' place, but I have a mini heart-attack every time I eat C&W, so it's a seldom treat.

Then again, I also cover mine in gravy, hot sauce, and syrup, so I guess that could have something to do with it.
Panthers65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-08-2012, 11:38 AM   #36
OutlawSwine
is one Smokin' Farker

I've never had it with the sausage gravy before but it looks good.

There is a little Mom-n-Pop joint down the road from me that has it. They do a twist though. They fry chicken, pull the meat off and put it in the waffle while it is cooking. Good stuff.

Old 10-08-2012, 11:42 AM   #37
wnkt
is One Chatty Farker

The first time I ever heard of it was watching Travel Channel or Food Network. I like the idea...but I dont know about the gravy with waffles....gravy and chicken, sure...but with mash taters ..not waffles

Nothing in life is to be feared, it is only to be understood
--saying in a fortune cookie--
wnkt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-08-2012, 03:24 PM   #38
gnwes
On the road to being a farker

i've never seen it. but i sure would try it at least.