Should I even bother with this?

sincitydisciple01

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Found this on Craigslist here in KC. Seller is asking $250, but it's been listed long enough that my ceiling is $200. Assuming it is somewhat heavy duty and sturdy, do you guys think it would be worth picking up?

Over the last few years, we have been tinkering with a Bandera type upright/vertical smoker in a smallish annual competition. We are going to try and get in to a few more events this year and thinking some additional cooking real estate would be nice. Would like to get a Good One, but that's cost prohibitive (even used...). So thought we would try out a beater. Assuming the description is accurate, this appears to be somewhat "heavy duty'er" than the stamped metal versions you find at Big Box. thanks!!

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/hsh/1618914020.html

*IT is a Smoke N' Pit Professional Deluxe Horizontal Charcoal Wood Smoker & Grill with an OFFSET Firebox !
*Wow that is a mouthful !! and that is just what comes out of it too is a mouthfull of great BBQ ,smoked just right and tender like at your local BBQ joint , but you made it not them !
*This sucker is heavy and you will need a Truck , tie downs and at least a strong friend or two to get it into your truck!
*It can produce professional grade BBQ , this smoker is good enough to do a BBQ contest.
*It also has a bean pot warmer on top of the fire box
*It does roll and the Legs have all recently been WELDED to make them sturdier that they were when it was new
*Metal is all in GREAT CONDITION !
*PAINT IS IN GREAT CONDITION , wood shelves need a little work but could be replaced easily
*Has a wood rack down below to hold some logs

Last edited:
I'd offer 150. It is a heavier gauge model and the flat top on the firebox is a plus for putting a pot of beans on it. If it's been listed for awhile, he probably hasn't had many offers. Even if he counters, you'd still be under 200.
I'd make a try for 150, 170 tops. I bet he bites.

look at the legs. that looks paper thin. I can't believe that was almost 400 dollars new.

Wait for a better deal. I have the exact thing settin in my yard and seldom use it. It works awesome-but I have other smokers. I got mine free at the local garbage dump, when I was dumping garbage. Have seen many out there for free.

Gotta say I agree with the brethren on this....
My first thought when I pulled up the link was, "Really? $250?"
I was expecting a bit more than that.

I agree with BobBrisket that a lower counter would likely get it done.

I have the exact same one sitting at my house. I doubt I would pay $200 for it today. Works fine, if you like to constantly tend the temps. I used to think it was pretty good until I got spoiled with a UDS.

:evil: (my son made me put the evil face here)

Not worth it. I bought one during the winter once years ago at Wal Mart and paid $95 for it. I used it for a few years and called it many unkind nicknames because of all the leaks...

Save the $$$ and buy something better in a little while longer. Trust yourself to NOT spend the money.

You can buy a Brinkman Offset at Home Depot or K-Mart for $99.

I gave mine away like that. Wanted to start another friend in the hobby.

Dan

Keep an eye out, I see them here in KC for 100 bucks from time to time.

Headed out in a few to take a look at it. Even if it's a POS, it's still free to look! I'll let you know how it goes! thanks for all the feedback!

Would not budge off of the $250. Nice guy and the smoker was actually in pretty decent shape. Heavier steel than the cheapies at Big Box. But it needed some work. There was also a VERY shaky weld around the stack. Can't say for sure, but appeared to be some sort of paper or possibly foil packed in around the seam. Would have made a pretty nice weekend project, but not for $250.

Anyway, thanks for all the feedback!

Back