MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 06-05-2012, 09:45 AM   #16
Cast Iron Chef
is One Chatty Farker

If it's the same heated cambro I looked at, the heater in the door, it can be removed with just a few screws. I was going to remove for comps and use for catering. Asking price was $300 so was too rich for me.
22.5" Weber One Touch Platinum
[SIZE=2][COLOR=#000000][COLOR=RoyalBlue]Genesis[/COLOR] 3 Gasser
Bradley [/COLOR][/SIZE]Bisquette[SIZE=2][COLOR=#000000] Pooper
Bullpen BBQ Team
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
Cast Iron Chef is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-05-2012, 09:49 AM   #17
Balls Casten
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmprantz View Post
You care about what other people say about you behind their back? If they're saying something bad about you behind your back in stead of to your face, they're probably not good people. That's my take on it.

dmp
I say "if people are talking behind my back ... they are in the perfect location to kiss my arse!" :-) Old quote from someone that I dont remember who

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-05-2012, 09:51 AM   #18
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

1) The decision and interpretations of the KCBS Rules
and Regulations are at the discretion of the KCBS Contest
Representatives at the contest. Their decisions and
interpretations are final to the extent consistent with the
rules.

6) Fires shall be of wood, wood pellets or charcoal. Gas
and electric heat sources shall not be permitted for cooking
or holding. Propane or electric is permitted as fire starters,
provided that the competition meat is not in/on the cooking
device. Electrical accessories such as spits, augers, forced draft
are permitted. No open pits or holes are permitted, except at
the election of the contest organizer. Fires shall not be built
on the ground.

This can be debated here, as long as you like. At the end of the day you better be sure that your contest Reps are on board with it.

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-05-2012, 12:11 PM   #19
AZScott
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmprantz View Post
You care about what other people say about you behind their back? If they're saying something bad about you behind your back in stead of to your face, they're probably not good people. That's my take on it.

dmp
I care greatly what other people say about me or my team. Every single thing we do is legal and we don't hide a lick of what we do. At the end of the day, our reputation will either raise me up or bring me down. Personally, I wouldn't want anyone questioning a single thing I do so I would pass on the great deal.

I also strongly feel that if people are talking about something illegal or possibly illegal that a team is doing they respect the competition, the commitment teams make, the resources it takes to compete, and they want a level playing field. That's not a bad person in my mind. If they are saying my logo is stupid, I like my pork butts a bit too much, that I'm ugly, etc to other people behind my back that's a different matter entirely.

Old 06-05-2012, 03:55 PM   #20
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZScott View Post
I care greatly what other people say about me or my team. Every single thing we do is legal and we don't hide a lick of what we do. At the end of the day, our reputation will either raise me up or bring me down. Personally, I wouldn't want anyone questioning a single thing I do so I would pass on the great deal.
I think we're just gonna have to disagree here. Everything I do is legal too, and I go to lengths to discuss things with the KCBS office and reps to verify questionable decisions. That said, if a disrespectful cry-baby is going to insult me and my integrity behind my back, I have no intent on changing my decisions to apease that person. If you have an issue, talk to me about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZScott View Post
I also strongly feel that if people are talking about something illegal or possibly illegal that a team is doing they respect the competition, the commitment teams make, the resources it takes to compete, and they want a level playing field. That's not a bad person in my mind.
I'm not quite sure I understand what you're saying above, but I'll try to explain my opinions succinctly:

I do not walk around a competition looking for rules infractions.

If I think I happen to notice a rules infraction, I would tell the organizer or the rep.

I think it's innappropriate for people to say "I think team X is bunch of cheaters" unless they have been caught doing it or you have pictures. Otherwise, your being slanderous.

dmp

dmprantz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-2012, 08:49 AM   #21
early mornin' smokin'
is One Chatty Farker

100% legal as long as it's not plugged in while the comp meats are in it. We put a pan of boiling water in ours to heat it up. In my eyes, it's exactly the same.

Old 06-06-2012, 11:00 AM   #22
rksylves
Full Fledged Farker

I would just cut the plug off before going to the comp. That way there's no question that it wasn't plugged in. I would even be tempted to show it to the officials just so no question even comes up. You could always put a replacement plug back on it later.

Russ

Old 06-06-2012, 12:12 PM   #23
early mornin' smokin'
is One Chatty Farker

cut the plug? take the thing apart? are we being serious? this is bbq! if someone is so worried about you plugging in a cambro, they're probably hiding something themselves. Show the comp organizer, the rep, if necessary, and go about your business!

Old 06-06-2012, 01:51 PM   #24
ParkAvenue_2
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by early mornin' smokin' View Post
100% legal as long as it's not plugged in while the comp meats are in it. We put a pan of boiling water in ours to heat it up. In my eyes, it's exactly the same.
Interesting thread here.

If a pan of boiling water generating heat inside a Cambro is legal, then what if a team were to put a metal bucket full of lit coals into a Cambro and let the coals turn the heat up inside.

Would that be legal? Seems that it would. . . .
ParkAvenue_2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-2012, 02:06 PM   #25
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkAvenue_2 View Post
what if a team were to put a metal bucket full of lit coals into a Cambro and let the coals turn the heat up inside
That would be perfectly legal, as long as you didn't have parted pork in your Cambro at that time. You'd essentially be turning your Cambro into a smoker. You'd run into problems though, because the Cambro is plastic and may melt. On the other hand, the Cambro is sealed with no exhaust, so you'd suffocate your coals if you dind't open the door. It might be a race to see what happens first, but I bet you'd damage the plastic before the fire went out.

This isn't ghospel, but from what I've read and learned from talking to reps and members of the board (past and present) you can place whatever you want in your cooker or Cambro (or cooler, etc) that is hot, as long as it is not actively producing heat through electrical, petrolium gas combustion, or other chemical means. retained heat from any source is okay. I'd love to pick at the chemical means, but I'll wait till January ;-)

dmp

dmprantz is offline   Reply With Quote