DIY Stoker Probes

garbageman59

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Anybody tried this? It looks like $4 worth of hardware to me. Anybody care to donate a damaged one to science???????:confused:

How does it name the thermocouple plug? I just want to make up some extras.

they probably function on a 1 wire bus with a chip like a MAXIM (actually a lotta electronics in a tiny 3 wire TO-93 package) housed inside the plug. the name is most likely associated with the ID of the chip inside the controller.

at least that's the way i'd do it :rolleyes:

Like Sledneck said... more to it

good luck with all that

they probably function on a 1 wire bus with a chip like a MAXIM (actually a lotta electronics in a tiny 3 wire TO-93 package) housed inside the plug. the name is most likely associated with the ID of the chip inside the controller.

at least that's the way i'd do it :rolleyes:

Like Sledneck said... more to it

good luck with all that

A TO93 case style?

Hmm... 30 years as an electronic tech, and don't remember that case style,

The TO92 was perhaps the most common of all, like a 2sc2222 ot ecg or nte123a.

Is the to93 the same as a to93, except in a metal package?

Please don't make me dig out one of my ECG cross reference books.

I'm not familiar with the stoker. Type K thermocouples are some of the most common and should work. Would be worth a try. Sounds like some are saying the stoker uses proprietary probes, with a level of protection. If you look at garbagemans link, the adapter is a stereo plug, 3 wire. Temp probes are 2 wire. Maybe the stoker will still recognize a different probe, if it is wired correctly to the proper positive and negative. leaving the data wire open. Just a thought.

Err, nevermind, just realized the adapter is for two probes. Shared ground. Would the stoker have RF ID?

I knew one of the brothers can figure this out. :-D They make a K type adapter for $40. Anyone have one? How does it "see" the k-type? Name?

My point is, there is a potentiometer based sensor on my Dodge truck, the originals last 100,000+ mile. The replacements last 6 months (and are $300). I made one after researching that has lasted over a year for about $3. I'm certain I can make a temp. probe.

A thermocouple is 2 wire, positive, negative. A PID controller wouldn't see anything but a voltage, unless there is something else going on. It could a RF ID chip in the plug (like a car key), or a third data wire. Sorry, never seen a stoker before.

Each probe has a micro chip in its plug (1/4" stereo plug) That is what gives each probe its own serial number so you can assign it to a particular fan or meat. That is why they can be plugged into any of the ports on the stoker and still work. The fans are the same way.

Let say you really wanted to find out (on the cheap). I'd get a stereo headphone wire, cut off from a broken headphones. I'm assuming its a 1/8" stereo phono plug. Radio Shack would also carry this. The shielding will probably be the ground. Connect the positive wire from your thermocouple to one of the other wires from your headphone jack, usually white or red. If it registers a temp, you should be good. Then, you could find a better way to rig it up. I should say do this at your own risk, but that should go without saying. Dont wire anything with the unit on.

Each probe has a micro chip in its plug (1/4" stereo plug) That is what gives each probe its own serial number so you can assign it to a particular fan or meat. That is why they can be plugged into any of the ports on the stoker and still work. The fans are the same way.

EEPROM or Op amp mc?

there is a chip inside. This cause problems when I did those tests in wth winter of 2007 (the ones on my old Popdaddysbbq youtube channel) and the outside temps were below 20-30 or something,. This got fixed. In addition, you cannot get them wet.

Make sure you all calibrate those temp probes on a regular basis at least yearly . I started noticing my food was taking a he'll of a long time to cook lately . At a contest this past weekend I noticed that the temp seemed real low . One of the probes was 40 degrees off

Back