Countdown To New BBQ Pitmasters ~ Carolina Style Pork

I really enjoyed that kingsford match light commercial :mrgreen:

Sent from my Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Duck fat does not equal NC BBQ. It's a bit on the foofoo side.

Wow! Who knew that you needed duck fat to cook NC BBQ? The secret is out!

I'm done with this damn show. They couldn't find a team to represent a region if they stepped on them. Duck fat and NC BBQ??? WTF. I've lived here 15 mins from Charlotte my hole 32 yrs and have never heard of Saucemans.

Now, thanks for lettin me vent a little.

Show biz is show biz.

I can tell you with absolute certainty that Skylight Inn consistently serves the best BBQ I've ever eaten. Period.

If you ever find yourself near Greenvile-Ayden, NC, you owe it to yourself to stop by. The flat cornbread, sweet slaw and their BBQ with crunchy skin pieces chopped in is incredible.

Show biz is show biz.

I can tell you with absolute certainty that Skylight Inn consistently serves the best BBQ I've ever eaten. Period.

If you ever find yourself near Greenvile-Ayden, NC, you owe it to yourself to stop by. The flat cornbread, sweet slaw and their BBQ with crunchy skin pieces chopped in is incredible.

I do agree about Skylight and the quality of thier BBQ. I just wish he would have stuck with what he knew and cooked for the judges and not hisself.

I'm done with this damn show. They couldn't find a team to represent a region if they stepped on them. Duck fat and NC BBQ??? WTF. I've lived here 15 mins from Charlotte my hole 32 yrs and have never heard of Saucemans.

Now, thanks for lettin me vent a little.

I see comments like this every week. I don't get it.

There were 3 teams. They all cooked the same meats. There were 3 judges, who tasted and scored those meats based on agreed upon and consistent criteria.

I get that duck fat is out of the box, but there was a lot more than just that particular piece of meat in the box too. As with any competition, sometimes the guys that take risks or do things a little differently win. Sometimes they don't. Tonight, that guy did.

The show is called BBQ Pitmasters, not Famous BBQ Restaurants Cooking Contest. (although this season has pretty much had all restauranteurs on it)

I know it's a show and that they don't always get it exactly right, but cable TV is still better because it's on.

I say congrats to Saucemans! It's killer that the "new guy" was able to cook with the big boys.

Since he couldn't seem to barbecue or roast the belly bacon, I could have swallowed this whole thing a lot better if he had fried the bacon in lard, instead of quack fat.... (I use lard for special basting on the cooker,.. it does deliver a porky flavor 'cause it comes from a pig!!!)

Since he couldn't seem to barbecue or roast the belly bacon, I could have swallowed this whole thing a lot better if he had fried the bacon in lard, instead of quack fat.... (I use lard for special basting on the cooker,.. it does deliver a porky flavor 'cause it comes from a pig!!!)

But he did BBQ the belly, didn't he? He did the ribs and then he did the belly meat 3 different ways and only one of those was with the duck fat. One was salt cured and then sliced and fried and the other was just rubbed and smoked, right?

Last edited:

Braised in lard, that's what I was thinking would be more appropriate.

All I know is that Brian Polcyn wrote in his book Charcuterie something about how duck fat is the ultimate in flavor and that cooking anything in it is the perfect and ultimate thing. Seems it worked out for Saucemans anyway.

Authentic to NC? I have no idea really, but apparently he had the better BBQ that day, at least according to Myron, Tuffy and Aaron.

One other disappointing point, the winning team cooked on an offset pit. NC BBQ is cooked directly over coals.

NC BBQ isn't on the top of my list, actually. It's too mushy and just not all that great, IMO. That being siad, I still like it. So, this episode is particularly interesting.

I will never forget the first time I enjoyed Eastern NC BBQ. The gal waiting on me asked me if I wanted some "dee-up" (dip). I had no idea what she was talking about and her accent only made it worse. I asked several times "dee-up?" trying to figure out what she was saying. Finally, she shaked the sauce bottle in front of my face exclaiming "Dee-up! Dee-up!"

Great times, there! :laugh:

Dee-up!

:laugh:

:thumb:

Back