• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Catering out of the home.

Big Dan

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Have any of you catered out of your home, or are you still doing it???? I'm thinking of offering smoked Brisket, to others for their backyard parties and such. My questions are, what kind of trouble may I run in to with the city/ county? Are they going to require inspections and such? I have a food handlers license, but I would like to keep this as a "side job" ie: under the table for a while, without any government interference, if you get my drift. I am just going to offer smoked Brisket and it will be delivered to their home on the day of their event. I may add more items later as word of mouth gets around, and I get more pit space.. Your thoughts????

I do that but stick to friends, family an coworkers. The HD is very against doing that here. You also are not insured and not paying your taxes.

Last edited:
Too many risks and not enough rewards. Trying to sneak past the "government" can lead to too many real bad things happening. Not a risk I would undertake.

In Vermont, you are allowed to cook BBQ in your home kitchen for sale at farmer's markets as long as your kitchen water supply has been tested and is safe. You have to maintain the heat so are not allowed to cool it down then reheat.

I found this out by calling the health department.

I don't know what state you are in, but it may be worth making a call to your health department.

Back