Am I really doing this?

Sammy_Shuford

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Building a UDS. This will be number 3, including my ideas from 1 and 2.

I picked up a ash pan today,

Attachments

• 2020-01-18_17h39_34.png
    2020-01-18_17h39_34.png
    59.4 KB · Views: 690
Sweet! I rode past my old us a few minutes ago, so I know the feeling...

Don't know what so hard to understand about it.

In a world where you have COS's, High end stickburners, pellet poopers of all stripes, reverse flow this and that's- there is is the UDS. As stupid simple a cooker as a fella could ever want. Bone stock- it just works. Bling it out-and it's yours. ATC's or ball valves- doesn't matter- all good.

Fpr some years now- every time some posted "what cooker should I buy?", "build a UDS" was an answer- and it was not totally in jest..

I can't ever see a time where I don't have a UDS.

Are you?

I’d say, YEP, ya are...

Where do you get the ash pan please?

I went on eBay and found some 20" deep dish pizza pans. Several years ago. Think they were less than $20 each Buy it Now with free shipping. They work great.

Robert

Home from Vacation, and some real work in process. Trimming down the weber kettle lid, it will set just inside the top rim of the drum. Drips inside, not down the outside.

Attachments

• IMG_0541.jpg
    IMG_0541.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 316
Drum was "almost Deheaded" left a lip for the weber top to set on. Need to deburr the inside drum and the weber top where they were cut. Hunsaker cook grates and there grate support brackets came in today. Just in time!

Attachments

• IMG_0543.jpg
    IMG_0543.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_0544.jpg
    IMG_0544.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 62
Fire basket and ash pan are ready. I took a Hunsaker vortex basket, cut the welds to remove his pan, bent the tabs out to bolt to my larger pan.

Attachments

• IMG_0546.jpg
    IMG_0546.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 22
Back