• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Waitin' for the white to turn blue

Seems like it was clearing up, so I put my pork shoulder on, then it turned back white again. Right now I'm running 257* White smoke. Any quick fixes? Should I pull the meat back off?

Now you have me curious. I'm wondering if not waiting for blue is the cause of my ribs turning too dark in comps.

Are you preheating your wood?

No, I've never preheated the wood. Does that throw it off? I should note, I'm using a UDS.

Speaking of wood, I'm using fresh cut (last fall) wood in stead of store bought wood. This seems like it has a much fruitier smell. Has anyone else noticed that?

Assuming you are cooking on your UDS then you are fine. I have found that I always get spells of white smoke at times. Usually is because the lid was removed for whatever reason. This allows the charcoal to breathe and flare up. Once the lid is replace some of the coals are choked out producing white smoke. This will clear with time and eventually you will have blue or no smoke at all. Keep in mind though that once that shoulder starts to render fat and it drips onto the coals, you will get white smoke/steam but this is one of the "desired" effects of the UDS.

Pork went on at 10:40am CT. Drum is humming along 231-233* steady as a rock. Pork is at 99*. Any guesses on when it will be done?

Its a whole shoulder? Probably gonna be a while. You might as well just go out and buy a case of your favorite beverage, drink yourself silly, pass out and then wake up tomorrow. It should be done then. How much did it weigh? Actually, I am more surprised that you are at 99* in only 2.5 hours at that temp.

Edit: You snuck in the answer as I was typing this. That size isn't that bad. If you are short on time you can foil around 160* to get it done.

Did you remember to add the smoke bluing to the pit, if you just used smoke bleach, all you get is whiter smoke. :becky:

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
No, I've never preheated the wood. Does that throw it off? I should note, I'm using a UDS.

Speaking of wood, I'm using fresh cut (last fall) wood in stead of store bought wood. This seems like it has a much fruitier smell. Has anyone else noticed that?

I can only speak to stickburning - I can't even spell UDS (I plan on getting one together soon-ish though). Seems to me the wood should be more seasoned, like at least 10 mos. to a year - may be a different deal on a UDS, I don't know. Phubar has a thread that's probably on the first page or 2 about some peach wood he cut and is seasoning - might be worth a look.

On my UDS, I always wait for the white smoke to turn blue. However, when I remove the lid and pit the meat on, it will always turm white for about 30 minutes and then go blue again. The food tastes great.

On my UDS, I always wait for the white smoke to turn blue. However, when I remove the lid and pit the meat on, it will always turm white for about 30 minutes and then go blue again. The food tastes great.

that is pretty much what happened.

Back