MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-15-2018, 10:16 AM   #13156
DRMSMKER
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebijack View Post
I got rid of my ash pan years ago. Much easier to just sweep up the ashes and grease.
This has ALOT of grease to manage

Before I had my ash pan I did what you do but then I'd let the clean up window close b/c of procrastination and then my ash and grease will harden to concrete.
DRMSMKER is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 03-15-2018, 10:23 AM   #13157
el luchador
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : EL Luchador

Quote:
Originally Posted by bschoen View Post
I had the same concern, I checked the MSDS. It appears to be 100% diatomaceous earth, so no problem. Here is a link to the msds (Manufacturers Safety Data Sheet, or something like that).

https://www.msdsdigital.com/floor-dry-msds
contains less than 1% Crystalline Silica -Quartz
-May cause cancer by inhalation.

I personally wouldn't use that. just mho

Old 03-15-2018, 12:26 PM   #13158
D&D BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by el luchador View Post
contains less than 1% Crystalline Silica -Quartz
-May cause cancer by inhalation.

I personally wouldn't use that. just mho
So does cooking on a UDS in general, so if you’re worried about a SLIGHTLY increased chance of cancer, what are you doing cooking on one?
https://m.phys.org/news/2017-07-anti...eciphered.html

“Antibody against carcinogenic substance deciphered
When fat reacts with glowing coal at a barbecue, a substance chemists call benzopyrene is created. It is a widespread environmental toxin that can cause cancer in humans.”

Old 03-15-2018, 11:31 PM   #13159
el luchador
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by D&D BBQ View Post
So does cooking on a UDS in general, so if you’re worried about a SLIGHTLY increased chance of cancer, what are you doing cooking on one?
https://m.phys.org/news/2017-07-anti...eciphered.html

“Antibody against carcinogenic substance deciphered
When fat reacts with glowing coal at a barbecue, a substance chemists call benzopyrene is created. It is a widespread environmental toxin that can cause cancer in humans.”
So I should increase my chances of cancer by adding another carcinogenic?

Ok makes sense

Old 03-15-2018, 11:46 PM   #13160
D&D BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
So I should increase my chances of cancer by adding another carcinogenic?

Ok makes sense
If you read your link, it referred to inhaling large quantities, such as when mechanics pour a bunch on the floor to clean up large spills several times a day without masks. You’re not doing that here whereas if you’re cooking on a UDS regularly without a deflector and so the fat is dripping on the coals, you are exposing yourself to cancer causing substances every time you cook.

Bottom line: It’s such a SLIGHT increase in cancer risk as to be almost neglible in either case above, much as the overblown studies a few months ago that screamed “red meat causes cancer” (further in-depth reading revealed less than a 0.5% increased risk, as I recall). You’re in the wrong hobby if you worry about that kind of stuff.

Old 03-16-2018, 07:51 AM   #13161
bschoen
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Bruce

Sheesh, anything and everything may cause cancer if inhaled. Or ingested, bathed in, walked by...
Life causes cancer.

Organic gardeners use DE for bug control, works great for snails and slugs.
bschoen is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 03-16-2018, 08:52 AM   #13162
el luchador
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by D&D BBQ View Post
If you read your link, it referred to inhaling large quantities, such as when mechanics pour a bunch on the floor to clean up large spills several times a day without masks. You’re not doing that here whereas if you’re cooking on a UDS regularly without a deflector and so the fat is dripping on the coals, you are exposing yourself to cancer causing substances every time you cook.

Bottom line: It’s such a SLIGHT increase in cancer risk as to be almost neglible in either case above, much as the overblown studies a few months ago that screamed “red meat causes cancer” (further in-depth reading revealed less than a 0.5% increased risk, as I recall). You’re in the wrong hobby if you worry about that kind of stuff.

I understand well the supposed risks of eating meat and the risk of cooking meat on coals. That doesn't mean because I'm taking some risk that all risk becomes ok.

Old 03-17-2018, 12:08 PM   #13163
D&D BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
I understand well the supposed risks of eating meat and the risk of cooking meat on coals. That doesn't mean because I'm taking some risk that all risk becomes ok.
Yeah, we all got different risk perception and tolerances. As mentioned above, hippy dippy organic farmers are just fine with being exposed to DE on their crops and you don’t want it around your cooker that has red meat dripping fat on hot coals. Alrighty then. Different strokes for different folks.

Old 03-22-2018, 02:26 PM   #13164
dadsr4
somebody shut me the fark up.

For those interested in hanging and doors, check out this thread.
https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/s...=1#post3970125

Old 03-26-2018, 11:21 PM   #13165
Maximusbeardius
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : Kevin

Took about a week to read this whole topic . Just wanted to thank everyone for all the information. New to smoking. Started on a pellet, then to a pitbarrel and now just made UDS with my father. Figure i would post it here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 71BE9321-94AA-42E1-B45E-C6FFD8D6C7E5.jpg (35.3 KB, 495 views)
Maximusbeardius is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2018, 06:31 AM   #13166
el luchador
is One Chatty Farker

Beautiful!

And you made it yourself. How can you beat that

Old 03-27-2018, 11:42 AM   #13167
bschoen
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Bruce

Attachment 156898

Attachment 156899

Attachment 156900

Attachment 156901

Attachment 156902

I am going to name it ElmerJ.

Last edited by bschoen; 07-03-2020 at 08:41 AM..
bschoen is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2018, 04:29 PM   #13168
Steve S
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximusbeardius View Post
Took about a week to read this whole topic . Just wanted to thank everyone for all the information. New to smoking. Started on a pellet, then to a pitbarrel and now just made UDS with my father. Figure i would post it here.
Nothing ugly about that. Nice work.

Old 03-27-2018, 04:41 PM   #13169
10miler
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
Nothing ugly about that. Nice work.
+1 I don’t think any drum smoker is ugly!

Old 03-27-2018, 04:56 PM   #13170
Blythewood BBQ'er
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Dennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximusbeardius View Post
Very nice! Gorgeous drum! just ordered some of the p ipe intakes for my drum. Hopefully they will get here before the weekend and I can get them on it. Where did you order your's from? Ordered mine from uds parts .com but they have yet to be shipped.
BUBBA GRILLS 250r, CharGriller Akorn, 1.5 uds, 28in Blackstone, Blackstone Tailgater, Weber Mastertouch Slate Blue, Weber Copper Performer Premium, Weber 26er, Weber Jumbo Joe, and a set of Octoforks!

GOOD FOOD GOOD TIMES AND GOOD FRIENDS CAN BE FOUND HERE!! THE BBQ BRETHREN BASHES!
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8
Blythewood BBQ'er is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker