MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-20-2008, 12:45 PM   #1
YankeeBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Default About Pastrami / Smoked Corned Beef

I've been reading some stuff on the web about Pastrami and it seems traditionally the Pastrami is Steamed whole for about 3 hours after it is smoked. The famous Deli's in NYC buy their Pastrami already smoked and steam it in the restaurant.

I see that a lot of people smoke their Pastrami to 170 to 180 degrees. Those of you who have done this do you steam the Pastrami after you smoke it ? I was just thinking maybe I should only cook to 165 to 170 Degrees.

Steve

This post is my opinion and mine alone, not necessarily that of the KCBS, it's board of directors or office nor that of Peter Pan, Tinkerbell and certainly not Rush Limbaugh.
YankeeBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2008, 12:57 PM   #2
pne123
On the road to being a farker

I do not know for sure but I think i read the steaming is more of a NY city tradition. I have never been there so I am not sure. I take mine to 180-185 and the broil it w/ swiss cheese. I like mine dry not wet.
pne123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2008, 01:21 PM   #3
Bossmanbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Ive made and ate pastrami all my life including making my own pastrami (article and procedures to do so are located on my blog..) I have never steamed my pastrami, about as close as I have come to doing that is letting it get happy in the old crock pot. Usually just smoke it slice it and serve it.

" You can put all of the sauce on it you want, but you still have to master the art of cooking barbecue"
- Mike Mills-
Bossmanbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2008, 01:30 PM   #4
Crüe-B-Cüe
is One Chatty Farker

I steam mine for a few minutes before it goes on the sandwich. I do them like Firehouse Subs. Layer some pastrami, squirt a little italian dressing over it, top it off with some provolone. When it gets all hot and gooey, slap it on a toasted bun with mayo and spicy mustard.

Old 03-20-2008, 01:43 PM   #5
hdis2002
Knows what a fatty is.

I don't steam it. I take it to 170, wrap it in foil and add a little beef broth. Back in the smoker to 195. Slice and serve.

Steve
hdis2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2008, 02:03 PM   #6
pigmaker23
is One Chatty Farker

Steve, Katz's, Second Avenue and Sarges "Hold" the meat in a steam locker to keep temp, because they sell so much it really does not stay around that long to break it down to pot roast consistancy. I have never steamed one after cooking it. it is much better reheated in foil the second day however.
[B][COLOR=#008000]Mr. Bobo's Traveling BBQ Allstars ![/COLOR][/B]
[B][COLOR=red][I]2009 Jack Daniels World BBQ BrisketChampion[/I][/COLOR][/B]
[B][I][COLOR=#ff0000]_______________________________________[/COLOR][/I][/B]
[B][I][COLOR=black]Backwoods Fatboy (2) & a Chubby[/COLOR][/I][/B]
[B][I]Jedmaster " BabyJed" Ring of Fire[/I][/B]
[B][I]OK Joe 84" Offset [/I][/B]
[B][I]Meadowcreek PR -72 Trailer[/I][/B]
pigmaker23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2008, 02:07 PM   #7
yelonutz
is one Smokin' Farker

I have been making Pastrami for a few years now. This year I tried the corned beef thing. I cut the packer into thirds, flat in half and the point. I soaked that thing for about 48 hours with 5 or 6 water changes until that meat was almost white. After seasoning and smoking it is still too salty for my tastes. I looked at Boss Mans BBQ home page and found his method of making Pastrami is the same one I have used for years. I think it was origonally from a guy named Rick. Anyway, you guys owe it to yourselves to try it at least once. I think if you do, you will leave the corned beef (the first step in the recipe) to the Irish. It makes a far superior product. I sell all I can make for $8.00 a pound.
NUTZ
Medium Green Egg
Mini Green Egg
New Black stoker with built in wi-fi
KCBS CBJ #20258
Drunk Uncles BBQ Team, Ruining Family Gatherings for Over 20 Years.

DAMN IT ANDY!!
yelonutz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2008, 02:08 PM   #8
The Anchorman
is One Chatty Farker

Steve, I just did two briskets for pastrami in the Chubby.
I cold smoked them for 3 hours at 80 degrees, Ice in the water pan and a hotel pan of ice in the cooking area. Then I cooked them in the convection oven to 180 degrees. Checked it with my grey thermopen
Cooled, then slice on the deli-slicer. It tastes great!

BWS Party, Chubby, WSM, 4 Kettles, 3 Performers, 1 Smokey Joe Platininum, Weber Genisis B, 2 Grey Thermopens
KCBS CBJ
The Anchorman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2008, 02:10 PM   #9
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

I have never gotten the same texture and tissue breakdown when steaming pastrami at home that I have eaten in deli's. I think that deli's are using steamers which are more like a steam cabinet. Possibly the steam is hotter or can circulate more effeciently...

I have been pressure cooking for 20 minutes following smoking to 150* or so and although not quite like deli steamed, I really like it. The internal temperature will rise into the 180*'s during the pressure finish.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2008, 02:32 PM   #10
YankeeBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Anchorman View Post
Steve, I just did two briskets for pastrami in the Chubby.
I cold smoked them for 3 hours at 80 degrees, Ice in the water pan and a hotel pan of ice in the cooking area. Then I cooked them in the convection oven to 180 degrees. Checked it with my grey thermopen
Cooled, then slice on the deli-slicer. It tastes great!
Is Pastrami normally cold smoked ?

This post is my opinion and mine alone, not necessarily that of the KCBS, it's board of directors or office nor that of Peter Pan, Tinkerbell and certainly not Rush Limbaugh.

Old 03-20-2008, 02:34 PM   #11
YankeeBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelonutz View Post
I have been making Pastrami for a few years now. This year I tried the corned beef thing. I cut the packer into thirds, flat in half and the point. I soaked that thing for about 48 hours with 5 or 6 water changes until that meat was almost white. After seasoning and smoking it is still too salty for my tastes. I looked at Boss Mans BBQ home page and found his method of making Pastrami is the same one I have used for years. I think it was origonally from a guy named Rick. Anyway, you guys owe it to yourselves to try it at least once. I think if you do, you will leave the corned beef (the first step in the recipe) to the Irish. It makes a far superior product. I sell all I can make for $8.00 a pound.
NUTZ
I may give that a try sometime. This is my first time trying the corned beef thing and I've already purchased the meat.

Old 03-20-2008, 02:34 PM   #12
ique
is Blowin Smoke!

The one I did recently I had some straight off the pit and then also the next day I steamed a couple leftover chunks. I liked the steamed better, it broke down and tenderized the pastrami a bit more.
ique is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2008, 02:37 PM   #13
YankeeBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ique View Post
The one I did recently I had some straight off the pit and then also the next day I steamed a couple leftover chunks. I liked the steamed better, it broke down and tenderized the pastrami a bit more.
That's what I was thinking. That's why I'm wondering what temp I should cook them to if i plan on the steaming stage. How did you steam it ? I was thinking of putting it right over the waterpan on the backwoods to steam, maybe put a hotel pan over it ??

Old 03-20-2008, 02:43 PM   #14
ique
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeBBQ View Post
That's what I was thinking. That's why I'm wondering what temp I should cook them to if i plan on the steaming stage. How did you steam it ? I was thinking of putting it right over the waterpan on the backwoods to steam, maybe put a hotel pan over it ??
I cooked it at 250* until 180 internal on my Backwoods. Let it cool off stored overnight in the fridge. Next day just brought a few inches of beef broth to a simmer in a pot and put the pastrami chunks in, covered until warmed through.

If you want to do it all in one step I would wrap in foil at the end with a cup of liquid.
ique is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2008, 03:34 PM   #15
The Anchorman
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeBBQ View Post
Is Pastrami normally cold smoked ?
I follow the recipe from the Culinary Institute of America, Garde Manger text. I have done it this way atleast 8 times and always satisfied.

You know us fancy book learnin' cooks, always following a recipe.

BWS Party, Chubby, WSM, 4 Kettles, 3 Performers, 1 Smokey Joe Platininum, Weber Genisis B, 2 Grey Thermopens
KCBS CBJ
The Anchorman is offline   Reply With Quote