Nice drum Bear. Any issues with temp control from the intake being so high?
No issues with temp. I was foolin' with the valve and caps and got it to run between 250 and 320 depending where I set it. The only problem was that it seemed to burn out after 6-7 hours. Maybe I just need to play with it some more.

No issues with temp. I was foolin' with the valve and caps and got it to run between 250 and 320 depending where I set it. The only problem was that it seemed to burn out after 6-7 hours. Maybe I just need to play with it some more.

"Burning out" meaning all the charcoal was burned up, or the fire went out and plenty of coals were left unlit?

What is the design of your charcoal box? Did you shake it occasionally to keep the air intake from being blocked by ashes?

"a BGE vent on a UDS would probably do as well and look cleaner than plumbing hanging out"

Use one on mine and works good.

Paul B
SS UDS

Bottom view:
DSCF5260-1.jpg
Where are you guy's getting the BGE vent's from:?:

Got mine from my local propane and green egg dealer.

DSCF5466.jpg

Here is a better pic of my SS UDS. :biggrin::biggrin:

Paul B

Been trying to find a high gloss hi temp paint.... you folks with that kind of paint mind telling me the kind and place to buy? thank you... this forum has been a wealth of info.

Hi Hath
I was told in this thread that high temp engine paint works well.
Bing

WOW there is nothing ugly about that drum.

Gonna look really cool when the heat starts turning the SS different colors.

One: beauty is only skin deep.....ugly goes all the way to the bone!! (you should see the inside)

I don't think these drums get hot enough to get that cooool looking patina of which you speak. A friend of mine has a totally SS fire pit at the hunt camp that has done just that. The lid is a beautiful goldish looking patina!

Glad you all enjoy my pics of my SS UDS.

Paul B

anyone have water build up in the bottom of there drum? also is the vents on a weber lid sitting on uds enough air flow?

Oddly enough, I haven't located a decent drum near me yet but I did locate a place in Oklahoma City, a little over an hour away, that handles them with decent prices.

The place, Container Supply Inc.: http://www.csiokc.com/mm5/merchant.mvc

For open top and no lining the prices are around $65. Their "reconditioned" drums run from $30 - $45.

Note: They have a minimum order of $100 or a $15 surchagre fee.

EDIT: Just talked with them again and even if picking up the minimum order still applies, so the prices are not that great unless you get a mix of new/reconditioned or several new drums.

Not bad prices and if I can get away some day while doing other errands and pick one up at their location. I am waiting to find out if that will "wave" the surcharge fee.

Stainless steel has to get pretty hot to discolor. I've had my SS UDS up to 550, and it didn't discolor. BTW- SS loses some of its rust resistance if you get it too hot- something in the neighborhood of 1600 degrees.

anyone have water build up in the bottom of there drum? also is the vents on a weber lid sitting on uds enough air flow?

Yes my drum has water in it and my weber lid doesn't fit that tight and it drips down the outsides.

Also the vents on the lid work fine for me when the temp is over 40` but under that I almost always have to crack the lid a little.

Good Luck!

Stainless steel has to get pretty hot to discolor. I've had my SS UDS up to 550, and it didn't discolor. BTW- SS loses some of its rust resistance if you get it too hot- something in the neighborhood of 1600 degrees.

If wonder if you wanted to get a little creative could you maybe use a small gas torch to color parts of the barrel?

I like having my plumbing hanging out :lol:! I couldn't resist saying that.

I like that vent, it looks a lot cleaner that way. But $40 is alot.

I splurged on the lid and the vent since I only paid $5.00 for the drum. :biggrin::biggrin: All in all I only have about $130 in it. Not bad for one bad *ss smoking machine!!!

Paul B
SS UDS

has anyone ever used a weber smokey joe as the charcoal "basket" for a drum? i have a line on a $5 smokey joe and thought that would be fast and easy way to get a charcoal "basket" in a drum. capacity might be an issue and maybe air flow as well.

thoughts?

cheers,

scott

Back