MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-09-2009, 07:14 PM   #1
chambersuac
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Grilled or Pan-fried burgers and a question

A week or two ago, someone (Barfunk? Norco?) said that they didn't comment on burger threads often because they prefered burgers cooked old school style (griddle/cast iron/something like that) - and yes, I'm paraphrasing, so don't get mad if I'm misquoting.

Anyway, I saw the light in that thread. Tonight I made burgers on the grill, with a bit of Mesquite. I put the patties in a scorching hot cast iron skillet so it could both get the smoke and the carmelization - at the last moment, I pulled it off and put it right over the open flame. Best of both worlds!!! But, I didn't take pix, so I know it didn't happen. I'm just saying if it DID happen, they were GREAT!!! Thanks to whomever made that comment a couple of weeks ago.

Also, a neighbor gave me some Italian Sausage, that I smoked a while and finished on the grill. I LOVE spicy I.S., but this is sweet. What to do with it? ABTs? It seems to be very good quality sausage from a specialty butcher in Chicago...anybody passing through Manito the next 36 hours? Or anyone with advice?

Thanks,
Dan

IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball maker and IMBAS Sgt. At Arms.

And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified. [Acts 20:32 KJV]
chambersuac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-09-2009, 07:17 PM   #2
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Make some sweet potato hash with it
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-09-2009, 07:20 PM   #3
chambersuac

Adam, you got a recipe for that?

IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball maker and IMBAS Sgt. At Arms.

And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified. [Acts 20:32 KJV]
chambersuac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-09-2009, 07:23 PM   #4
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

• 2 large sweet potatoes (about 2 pounds), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
  • 1/2 pound bulk pork sausage
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 2 bell peppers (any color), chopped
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
  • 2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • Salt and pepper
  • Green salsa, for serving
Spice it up
Season the hash with sweet smoked paprika or a chopped fresh herb like thyme.

Directions:

1. In a medium pot of boiling, salted water, cook the sweet potatoes until almost tender, about 4 minutes. Drain and set aside.
  2. In a large nonstick skillet, cook the sausage over medium heat until browned and crumbly, about 10 minutes; transfer with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain.
  3. Heat the oil in the skillet over medium-high heat. Add the bell peppers, onion and garlic and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the sausage, cumin and sweet potatoes and cook for 5 minutes more. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve with green salsa.
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-09-2009, 07:25 PM   #5
HumboldtSmokeBBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

...ok, let me get back to the burgers....I have to agree a bit, on certain occassions. I cook for myself my beef alot. My girl just dont eat beef. I love a burger, and I have no problem firing up my stove top range and frying me up some burger. I still do alot of the same tricks i do outside, and heck yeah outside is better! but i get lazy...to much smoke sometimes. I like your outdoor/indoor style idea also.

Old 09-09-2009, 07:29 PM   #6
Abelman
Full Fledged Farker

I always grill my burgers, top down.

But, I use a basting sauce and it works wonderfully on burgers as well as other thinks likes poultry and pork:

http://www.southernbbqsauce.com/inde...&parent=2&pg=1

I also use some rub on there as well but the combo is Great.

Old 09-09-2009, 07:31 PM   #7
landarc

I have a small griddle that I can use inside and it functions a lot like a commercial flat top, makes the best burgers, especially if you cook em by putting the ball on the griddle and them smash them. I do like to cook them on the Weber as well, just different.

I like sweet Italian sausage, even in sandwiches, or sliced as a cold cut.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote