1st Cook on the Bandera * Wow, Just Wow!

Midnight Smoke

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Could not wait any longer. Picked up some Thighs and seasoned with Yardbird. These were Delicious!!!! Ended up cooking about an hour and a half.

Picture001.jpg

Picture003.jpg

Boiled water for the pan and used some more of the Mesquite lump I had.

Picture008.jpg

Crisping up the skin, need to figure out a cooking grate for the FB side.

Picture012.jpg

Ready to eat.

Picture014-1.jpg

This is where it gets really good, now do these look juicy?

Picture033.jpg

Drip...

Picture035.jpg

Not bad for a 1st time but I do have a bit of Pit learning to do. Got up to 350º at one point but did come back down pretty fast.

The Thermo is off about 50º from the oven Thermo's. I check it in boiling water and it was 18º to high, tried to adjust but it did not seem to want to adjust. In the pit it is running way low. I am guessing the average pit temp was around 300º.

Anyone know if this Thermo is adjustable???

I don't know about that thermometer but I do know that's some great looking bird there!!!
The quickest way to drop the temp in a 'Dera I have found is to shut intake and exhaust completely. You do run the risk of getting blue smoke when you open 'er back up again, but it would be for long.

Looks good Terry,I found a Cast Iron grate that fits the FB at BBQ's Galore.Mine fit with the Spicewine basket in place.Have fun my friend.:cry: It could have been mine.

Really nice looking chicken. Mine rarely comes out that nice. Maybe because I end up talking to people and forget about the forgiving thighs!

Really nice looking chicken. Mine rarely comes out that nice. Maybe because I end up talking to people and forget about the forgiving thighs!

Thanks! I know the feeling. I have all this extra time on my hands and the family was out today. This gave me the time to watch them like a hawk.

Now that's chicken done right! Now you've got me thinking again about the Bandera knock off I saw at Academy Sports. Great looking Pics.

I couldn't tell in the pic, but won't your grates from the smoke chamber slide onto the shelves in the FB? Is your coal basket to tall? I can drop one grate down on the top shelf holder with my charcoal basket in the FB.
Chicken looks great. You'll have fun with the Bandera. I love mine. If you have a raised fire grate it will breathe very good. It takes some practice to get your venting just right for different temps. I'm sure you'll enjoy the practicing!:thumb:
I can send you some FB pics if you want.

I couldn't tell in the pic, but won't your grates from the smoke chamber slide onto the shelves in the FB? Is your coal basket to tall? I can drop one grate down on the top shelf holder with my charcoal basket in the FB.
Chicken looks great. You'll have fun with the Bandera. I love mine. If you have a raised fire grate it will breathe very good. It takes some practice to get your venting just right for different temps. I'm sure you'll enjoy the practicing!:thumb:
I can send you some FB pics if you want.

The Spicewine FB is to high to use the grates with the brackets. I had the FB set on 1/2 bricks in each corner to get the air under it. When I did the seasoning I used the expanded metal grate for the fire and did not raise it. What a difference it makes getting air under it.

I may be able to use the cooking grates when just using the Expanded metal FB grate. But what I wanted it for mostly is for a quick sear for chicken skin and such. Not really going to be grilling on it.

I'll take Pictures anytime. I will PM you my email. Thanks!

Man those look great!
Looks like your smoker spiking to 350 didn't hurt them a bit. Heck, it probably helped them.

Back