MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-03-2013, 11:06 AM   #16
sliding_billy
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : )

Do it right. Sleep later. That's my $0.02.
sliding_billy is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 12-03-2013, 11:17 AM   #17
aawa
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
Most people figure about a 50% yield, so if you start out with a 15 lb brisket you'll end up with 7.5 lbs of cooked meat after trimming and loss during cooking. You may get more than that, but that's a good number to use.

Also, if the only meat is the brisket I'd figure 1/3 lb per serving, so a 15 lb brisket will yield around 22 servings.
This estimation is spot on for how many servings will yield. And if you mom thinks that you are cooking too much meat, tell her that you want to make sure you have leftovers than not enough. I'm 100% positive some people will want to take some home.

Also for best results do 2 seperate cooks. If you want some sleep do hot and fast cooks if it is dinner. If it is lunch, do a low and slow overnight cook.

Old 12-03-2013, 11:26 AM   #18
landarc

dammitall Gore!

Now that that is fixed. As I see it, you need to cook two briskets for each event. There are a couple of reasons why.

1. one single brisket yields 50% but, there is inevitably waste beyond that, Plus, assuming you do a good job, people can, and often do, eat more than 1/3 pound of meat. You can limit that of course, but, do you want to do that?

2. two gives you a choice of which one to serve first, as you can serve the better one first, or the one that get's done first, then serve more if people want. If they don't, more for you.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-2013, 11:26 AM   #19
landarc

Incidentally, I would do two cooks, but, I cook hotter now, so I don't lose sleep.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-2013, 12:03 PM   #20
SmittyJonz

2 HotnFast Cooks with Sleep in between That Ole Lang ought be able to hit 300*, Eh?

Old 12-03-2013, 12:19 PM   #21
ironmanerik
is One Chatty Farker

1/3 of a lb might be good for catering and restaurants, I don't think I have ever pulled meat off the grill with people standing around and had one man only eat 1/3 of a lb let alone everybody.

Old 12-03-2013, 03:24 PM   #22
Diesel Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

thanks everyone for the input.

I'm doing it in 2 cooks, an all nighter Friday the 13th for the family party which is lunch. And then an early morning start on the second one Monday the 16th for a dinner for the other party. That will also have 2 butts in the cook for lunch for the folks at our local grain elevator, gotta treat the people who help you market grain, the next day.

I'm thinking about just doing 1 1/2 briskets for each cook. I'd cut the second long way so it would have the flat and tip.

I'm going low and slow since I've never done a H&F and don't want to mess these cooks up.
yeah the Lang can hold a steady 300 no problem

So you can expect 2 briskey cook threads from me in the near future

Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring ― Marilyn Monroe
Diesel Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-2013, 03:44 PM   #23
Fwismoker

Dave break down build a UDS and hook up a ATC to it so you can catch some ZZZZZZ's lol I know you're a offset guy but sleep is important when you get old like me. ha ha.

Seriously i'd just do them both at once and reheat in the oven with some drippings and and broth below it.

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-2013, 03:52 PM   #24
Diesel Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Yeah that's a good idea but sleep is waaayyyyy over rated hahahaha

Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring ― Marilyn Monroe
Diesel Dave is offline   Reply With Quote