Must Have BBQ Book?

Myron Nixon is a great book if u think people have no taste and the way to cater to the ignorant unwashed is to use meat as a delivery system for sugar and industrial vat flavors, and beans as a dessert.
JMO
Can't comment on other books but this forum has led my way further than my Myrons greedy ways, and I don't care who knows it.

I have Smoke & Spice, Serious Barbecue, and Myron Mixons book. All are good, but I like Serious barbecue the best.

Anybody have any suggestions of great BBQ/Smoking books one should have in their library? I feel like doing some reading this week.

Not only receipts, but just good content about general BBQ would be nice too.

-Hazard-

Legends of Texas BBQ Cookbook by Robb Walsh

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/dp/0811829618/ref=rdr_ext_tmb"]Legends of Texas Barbecue Cookbook: Recipes and Recollections from the Pit Bosses: Robb Walsh: 9780811829618: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]

I bought most of my bbq library on Half.com cheap books just go to books and type in bbq

My top three in this order:

Dr. BBQ's Big Time Barbeque Cookbook by Ray Lampe (Ray is a Brethren and any of his books are good choices but if i had to pick just one start here)
Peace Love and BBQ by Mike Miles is a another goodun.
The Legends of Texas Barbecue Cookbook by Robb Walsh is another favorite that covers various regions & history of BBQ in The Lone Star State.

Wow! LOTS of suggestions.

Smoke & Spice seems like the one to get first. I'll head out tomorrow and see if I can grab it.

I agree, YouTube has some great watching. Though I find my wife being more receptive to me reading a book in bed each night than being on the laptop. click clack click clack on the keyboard...

I would suggest to purchase used. Try Amazon and look at the used section. Just saw one for $6.76 +TTL.

I like a lot of the ones mentioned, and I'll add Paul Kirk's Championship Barbecue just for the sheer number and variety of recipes. It covers a lot of bases and the things I've made out of it have turned out well. It's very versatile.

Just be sure you don't pay any attention to their recommended cooking temps or times. Don't know what they like to smoke.:crazy:

I hear ya - and I think it goes for a lot of books as well. When I do use a book, I'll just go for the recipes, and the methods I use come either by experience or I check on this site right here. I pretty much ignore cook times and even target temps - be they meat or pit temps - in most books.

Lot's of titles still coming out of the wood pile here.

I actually ordered two books last night on Barnes & Noble and should get them by Thursday.

I ended up with "Wicked Good Barbecue" & "Smokin' w/ Myron Mixon".

I will still seek out Smoke & Spice at some point.

If you want a non recipe book that's just straight text on Texas BBQ, I'd recommend this one

Republic of Barbecue : Stories Beyond The Brisket

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Republic-Barbecue-Stories-Beyond-Brisket/dp/0292719981"]Republic of Barbecue: Stories Beyond the Brisket: Elizabeth S. D. Engelhardt: 9780292719989: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]

It's no overstatement to say that the state of Texas is a republic of barbecue. Whether it's brisket, sausage, ribs, or chicken, barbecue feeds friends while they catch up, soothes tensions at political events, fuels community festivals, sustains workers of all classes, celebrates brides and grooms, and even supports churches. Recognizing just how central barbecue is to Texas's cultural life, Elizabeth Engelhardt and a team of eleven graduate students from the University of Texas at Austin set out to discover and describe what barbecue has meant to Texans ever since they first smoked a beef brisket.
Republic of Barbecue presents a fascinating, multifaceted portrait of the world of barbecue in Central Texas. The authors look at everything from legendary barbecue joints in places such as Taylor and Lockhart to feedlots, ultra-modern sausage factories, and sustainable forests growing hardwoods for barbecue pits. They talk to pit masters and proprietors, who share the secrets of barbecue in their own words. Like side dishes to the first-person stories, short essays by the authors explore a myriad of barbecue's themes--food history, manliness and meat, technology, nostalgia, civil rights, small-town Texas identity, barbecue's connection to music, favorite drinks such as Big Red, Dr. Pepper, Shiner Bock, and Lone Star beer--to mention only a few. An ode to Texas barbecue in films, a celebration of sports and barbecue, and a pie chart of the desserts that accompany brisket all find homes in the sidebars of the book, while photographic portraits of people and places bring readers face-to-face with the culture of barbecue.
51ViBxqfWiL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Not technically a BBQ book, but I am really hoping to get:

"Seven Fires: Grilling the Argentine Way" by Francis Mallman

Just be sure you don't pay any attention to their recommended cooking temps or times. Don't know what they like to smoke.:crazy:

LOL! I'm always amazed that this book is still so revered when we all know the recipes don't actually work as written. That's kind of a big problem for me :)

LOL! I'm always amazed that this book is still so revered when we all know the recipes don't actually work as written. That's kind of a big problem for me :)

So true! When I got my first smoker, someone gave it to me as a gift. It is an enjoyable book to read, but only as I look back now, do I see that it was the source of a lot of frustration over ruined ribs and time wasted.

Seriously no butt kissing intended, but it wasn't until I got your book that things started to make a lot more sense.

So true! When I got my first smoker, someone gave it to me as a gift. It is an enjoyable book to read, but only as I look back now, do I see that it was the source of a lot of frustration over ruined ribs and time wasted.

Seriously no butt kissing intended, but it wasn't until I got your book that things started to make a lot more sense.

Smoke and Spice was the first big BBQ book as far as I can remember and we all bought it and it was a big deal. But now there are so many better books that I'm always surprised when it comes up. If my books had those errors I'd be burned at the stake!

Smoke and Spice was the first big BBQ book as far as I can remember and we all bought it and it was a big deal. But now there are so many better books that I'm always surprised when it comes up. If my books had those errors I'd be burned at the stake!

I think back when they wrote it, onewould have been burned at the stake for suggesting that you could cook a good brisket at temps above 225.

I think it probably has a lot of sentimental value as a lot of folks first BBQ book. That's how it is for me - it's where I started (can't remember if that's where I heard about 170 IT for pulled pork :doh:) Even though I pretty much never cook out of it now I still can't imagine being without it for some reason.

Back