traildust

Ten trout
4 gallons water
8 cups salt (5pounds)
1 pound dark brown sugar
2 cups lemon juice (9 lemons)
8 cloves garlic – crushed
1 white onion – chopped

Boil water then add salt and sugar in small amounts at a time to insure they dissolve.
Add remaining ingredients mixing thoroughly. Remove from heat and allow to steep and cool, this may take a couple of hours. Filter out the onion and garlic. Just make sure the brine is cool before adding with the fish our they will cook.

Pour the brine in an ice chest and add the fish. I added five one gallon zip lock bags full of ice to insure this remains cool. Make sure all of the fish are submerged and allow to sit overnight.

In the morning remove fish from brine, rinse in cold water and allow to air dry until the pellicle forms. This can take about six hours or more.

After this step I placed the fish in my Big Chief electric smoker that averages temps of 150. Mesquite wood was used for the smoke and twenty hours later they were finished.

One thing about the Big Chief is that for smoke it uses saw dust. I haven’t had any of this in years but instead I cut off rounds from mesquite about 3/8 of an inch thick and place these in the pan.

ingrediants.jpg

brine.jpg

While air drying, place netting over to keep pests out.

airdry.jpg

After several hours the jaw bone broke lose from one of the hooks. Not a big deal, this happens.

fishdown.jpg

Twenty hours later

done.jpg

The skin will come right off. Oh, this tastes SO good!

eat.jpg

Dang man! I knew you were doing fish but a whole school????

Sounds great and I'm not really a fish lover!

I'm glad you used the Big Chief rather than your CG... I think you would have had problems keeping the temps down as low as you wanted...

Good Job!!!!

Nice job, I caught some trout this past weekend. We just did them up on the grill w/ Lime Juice, Olive Oil, S&P and Cilantro.

Those look nice, I would not have thought that they would take 20 hrs though! WOW!

Pardon me for asking but what is the "Pellicle?"

:cool::icon_cool

Pardon me for asking but what is the "Pellicle?"

:cool::icon_cool[/QUOTE]

It's a thin, glossy film that develops on the meat after brining, rinsing and drying. When the film forms, the meat is chemically ready to be smoked.

Thanks

Jeff, you are a sly dog :-D
Thank you for all of your advice, you are a good man!

bigabite, If I could send ya one to place inbetween you and the keyboard I would. I took some to work and the guys were like savage dogs eating them.

Cuelio, Thank you for posting the response for MarleyMan

MarleyMan, They sat in the big chief for twenty hours and I hit them with four pans of mesquite disks. Each pan will smoke for about an hour and a half, sometimes a little longer. The remainging time no smoke was added. When I pulled them they were done, but if I didn't have to go to work they would have remained in the big chief a couple more hours.

Those look nice, I would not have thought that they would take 20 hrs though! WOW!

MarleyMan, They sat in the big chief for twenty hours and I hit them with four pans of mesquite disks. Each pan will smoke for about an hour and a half, sometimes a little longer. The remainging time no smoke was added. When I pulled them they were done, but if I didn't have to go to work they would have remained in the big chief a couple more hours.
I think the reason that they took so long is that he had his smoker going at the rip roaring, searing temp of 150*.... So while it wasn't quite a cold smoke, it wasn't all that far from it either....

Nice looking trout Darren, did you catch those? Bet they were tasty!

Back