Horizontal or Vertical?

kylersk

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I see alot of smokers have both style of chambers. Just wondering what the difference is between the two?

Ha! 77 views and no responses. I believe you've stumped the Brethren.

Most smokers have the vertical on the far end from the fire to allow for lower temps. I'd also say that most smokers are horizontal just because it's easier to design that way. Not much of a response, I know........

In my experience I can produce the same BBQ with either type. I think it is alot to do with personnal preference. With a vertical the meat on the higher racks drips on to the meat on the lower racks which can be a bonus. Most verticals can't hold alot of large hunks of meat as the racks aren't usually as big.

I agree with pigpen. Horizontal smokers seem to have the room. Besides this one difference, I think they produce the same end product.

Horizontal allows me to have different heat ranges when needed + a whole hog is possible and easy to fit through the door.

I see alot of smokers have both style of chambers. Just wondering what the difference is between the two?

You say "have both style of chambers" do you mean on the same smoker? If so the upright part, on say a Lang, is used as more of a warming area or I used mine for doing some cold smoking (well tried to anyway). But mostly I used mine for holding half sheet pans of stuff when feeding a crowd.

I have had both and like both. But my vertical has 5 shelves that are 20x20. AlOT of room...I would need a very large horizontal to compete to the cooking capacity. The vertical takes up less space and is more mobile. Mine is 400+lbs and I can move it all day w/ ease.

Shelves.jpg

Yeah, I meant that the smoker has BOTH chambers on it. Why use one over the other.

I have had both and like both. But my vertical has 5 shelves that are 20x20. AlOT of room...I would need a very large horizontal to compete to the cooking capacity. The vertical takes up less space and is more mobile. Mine is 400+lbs and I can move it all day w/ ease.

View attachment 29738

gpalasz - your stumps is a collector's item. i like to hang my meat so a vertical smoker comes in very handy.

Back