MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 05-18-2016, 08:40 AM   #16
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

I would agree with the others that scored this box a 5. The color is bland, there are jagged edges, and the selections appear dry. That said, you did receive some excellent tips to get those appearance scores up.

KCBS - CBJ & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
thirdeye is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2016, 12:22 PM   #17
DoctorCueNC
On the road to being a farker

Thank you again everyone for your suggestions. This was the latest box I made at a kcbs backyard competition over the weekend. Sorry about the lighting as it was a little rushed based on time to turn in. Still appreciating any feedback (I did wipe the moisture from edges of box before turn in). Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9910.jpg (73.6 KB, 161 views)

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-26-2016, 12:29 PM   #18
Burnt at Both Endz
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Calvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorCueNC View Post
Thank you again everyone for your suggestions. This was the latest box I made at a kcbs backyard competition over the weekend. Sorry about the lighting as it was a little rushed based on time to turn in. Still appreciating any feedback (I did wipe the moisture from edges of box before turn in). Thanks!
I'm far from a pork expert, but my experience cooking MM's tells me that when you put those ends pieces in the box, which some cooks do, do you feel they might be more tender than the slices in the middle?
Burnt at Both Endz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2016, 12:32 PM   #19
PatAttack
somebody shut me the fark up.

I would have left that end piece out and chosen another to use.

It throws the whole box off, IMO.

Old 09-26-2016, 12:38 PM   #20
DoctorCueNC

With the money muscle that was all I had, for appearance I think I could slice the tip off the end piece and flip it around so it looked more like a regular slice similar to the end piece on the left for consistency next time.

Old 09-26-2016, 12:49 PM   #21
tduffy
is One Chatty Farker

Box looks pretty good. MM and chunks is a good way to go. I would have left the end pieces out of the MM and put in 6 that were not end pieces. If you can't get 6 off of one shoulder, put some similar shaped from another(as long as they are just as good). Laying them across the bottom of the box like you did makes it very hard for a judge to see that they aren't all from the same MM. In their eyes it's 6 pieces from the same cut.

Old 09-26-2016, 12:51 PM   #22
Bob in Corona
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Bob

The judge that get to sample that end piece will receive a greater ratio of whatever surface rub/sauce/etc to meat than the other judges. Might be a good thing, but might not be...

Old 09-26-2016, 12:57 PM   #23
Right on Q
is One Chatty Farker

Looking at the first pic you posted compared to the pic you posted today are starkly different. You've made alot of progress!!!

There are a few tweaks that have been mentioned above but good job improving

Old 09-26-2016, 01:30 PM   #24
SwineGuy
Full Fledged Farker

Your meat definitely needs some finishing. A light saucing will give it the shine that makes it look moist and like something that is going to taste delicious. You can research online, there's a lot of videos out there discussing what various teams are doing as far as finishing sauce and final preparation. Don't bathe it...but it definitely needs a shine.

Also, I stopped doing pulled this year and got my first ever two calls in pork just doing MM and chunks. In my opinion, pulled is difficult for two reasons. 1) It always seems to look sloppier than the other cuts and 2) It dries out faster. I don't think its a mystery why I started doing better once I left it out of my box.

Your doing the right thing...research, ask questions and keep on keeping on! Good luck!

Old 09-26-2016, 02:09 PM   #25
DoctorCueNC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwineGuy View Post
Your meat definitely needs some finishing. A light saucing will give it the shine that makes it look moist and like something that is going to taste delicious. You can research online, there's a lot of videos out there discussing what various teams are doing as far as finishing sauce and final preparation. Don't bathe it...but it definitely needs a shine.

Also, I stopped doing pulled this year and got my first ever two calls in pork just doing MM and chunks. In my opinion, pulled is difficult for two reasons. 1) It always seems to look sloppier than the other cuts and 2) It dries out faster. I don't think its a mystery why I started doing better once I left it out of my box.

Your doing the right thing...research, ask questions and keep on keeping on! Good luck!
Thank you for your input, just curious if it was about my first picture or the one I posted today as an update. Just want to make sure I'm putting the right comments with the right picture.

Old 09-26-2016, 02:14 PM   #26
SwineGuy
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorCueNC View Post
Thank you for your input, just curious if it was about my first picture or the one I posted today as an update. Just want to make sure I'm putting the right comments with the right picture.
I was talking about the first. I didn't see the second picture. That is MUCH better! Agree with comments about end pieces, but you have improved significantly! Nicely done!

Old 09-26-2016, 06:14 PM   #27
Contracted Cookers
is one Smokin' Farker

slice the mm just a tad thinner could get 8 slices great improvement more bark on the chunks and you are money
Contracted Cookers is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2016, 07:13 PM   #28
nkay
Knows what a fatty is.

I would say that the box looked just fine considering on your score. Congrats on the win! Good to have you there and hope to see you again soon.

Noel
nkay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2016, 10:28 PM   #29
DoctorCueNC

Thanks. I enjoyed it greatly. Always looking to learn and improve! I want to move up and get one of this awesome unique plaques.

Old 09-27-2016, 07:24 AM   #30
nkay
Knows what a fatty is.

They will be even more awesome next year!!!!
nkay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, box, Judge, pork