MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-18-2016, 04:53 PM   #1
captjoe06
Full Fledged Farker

Default Smoking Fake Pork Burnt Ends On The @STOKGrills Charcoal Drum

Follow along the live cook at http://www.northeastbbq.com
Been absolutely jonesing to BBQ something for the past week. As usual I rarely go to the market with a pre-set plan. I look to see what’s on sale and then go from there.
This afternoon Stop and Shop East Gloucester had some cut up pork shoulder, so I figured I’d smoke up some fake burnt ends.

One of the many things I love about the STOK Charcoal drum is the included charcoal starter insert which eliminates the need for a chimney. I kept the cone shaped charcoal starter in the middle of the kettle and poured the charcoal around it. Then sprinkled some cherry chips on top and about four mesquite chunks along the course of briquettes. At the start of the course of briquettes I placed a starter cube and placed the cover on the kettle waiting for the temps to climb to around 250 degrees.

While the coals were getting up to temp It’s time to get to work on the pork. When opening the package the cut up pieces of pork shoulder were still a little larger than I wanted so I cut them into one and a half inch bite sized pieces.

I also trimmed off any large sections of fat. Next drizzled them with yellow mustard and tossed them in a large ziplock bag to coat.

Next lay the mustard coated pork on a cookie sheet and sprinkle on your rub. My go-to rub happens to be the Paul Prudhomme Magic rub.

Once the STOK Charcoal drum is up to temp, on go the rubbed pork pieces.
5:00PM

Old 02-18-2016, 05:00 PM   #2
Norm
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Looks great!

Never tried this before so thanks for sharing.
Norm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2016, 06:31 PM   #3
KevinJ
somebody shut me the fark up.

How long do you cook them?
Weber Go-Anywhere

All American Moinkballer
KevinJ is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2016, 06:33 PM   #4
captjoe06
Full Fledged Farker

An hour in and the STOK is holding 300 using the snake method like a champ. Internal temp on the pork is 145 degrees.

7:00PM After two hours on the pit the internal temps on the pork are 167.

The pork is pulled off and drizzled with a mixture of 5 parts bbq sauce and 1 part apple cider vinegar and foiled.

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-18-2016, 06:35 PM   #5
captjoe06
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinJ View Post
How long do you cook them?
It was 2 hours between 250 and 300 to get internal temp at 167. Now foiling for about a half hour. I'll open them up and probably finish off over the coals turning frequently to firm up the bark.

Tags
bbq, burth ends, fake burnt ends, NortheastBBQ.com, pork, Smoking Pork, STOK