• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Pizza stone instead of firebrick?

dagar

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I was going to pick up some firebrick for my new Bandera to line the firebox and smoker. Has anyone used a square pizza stone instead? I know they are thin, but are supposed to hold heat pretty well.

Thanks in advance,
David

Is this suppose to be for the floor of the firebox? If it is, I think it will crack over time. I ordered a 15x19" steel plate for a few more dollars and it works a whole lot better than ceramic. I burn my logs right on the plate.

Most pizza stones are crappy, and will almost certainly break if used in a firebox. Kiln furniture would be far better - meant to take much higher heat, cheaper than stuff sold as pizza stones, and much thicker too.

I have a few pieces of this stuff that I use in my Keg - it was cheap and has held up perfectly.
http://www.axner.com/kiln-furniture.aspx

Firebrick retains heat very well, so I would think it would be a better choice than a ceramic pizza stone that would probably crack pretty quickly. With the heat retention the firebrick offers, it would probably help burn wood more efficiently, esp in cold weather. Just my $.02.

Thanks everone. That kiln furniture is still corderite though. Is it thicker?
I think I see firebrick in my future.

Back