MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-27-2017, 10:05 PM   #1
VON_RAUCH_HAUS
Found some matches.

Default Vertical - Offset - Reverse Flow?

Hello,

I am brand new to this forum.
I hope this question is worthy of all the amazing smokers here.

I come from a professional cooking background and have been smoking for sometime.

I am moving to a country far far south that has no smokers of any interest and importation is cost prohibitive.

Therefore I have to make a smoker.

After many late nights scouring the interwebs I settled on a Vertical (space is an issue) Off set (I would like to burn wood and like tending fires) Reverse flow (because i like the idea, design and smoke)

The problem:
I cannot find any good advice on the merits of the combination of a vertical offset reverse flow smoker.

The questions:
1. Is this because that is a bad combination technically?
2. Would an in line cabinet smoker be okay to burn wood thereby not needing to have an off set FB?

Thanks in advance for the time and wisdom.
VON RAUCH HAUS
VON_RAUCH_HAUS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2017, 10:25 PM   #2
SmittyJonz
somebody shut me the fark up.

Last edited by SmittyJonz; 09-28-2017 at 12:43 AM..
SmittyJonz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2017, 10:28 PM   #3
Stlsportster
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Parental Assigned Label

Just my opinion, but you don't need reverse flow with a vertical.

The LSG Vertical Offset uses a deflector. http://www.lonestargrillz.com/Vertical-Smokers.html

The Old Country Smokehouse isn't offset, but in line. There is a built in deflector plate. http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/old-...its-smokehouse

Some of the insulated cabinets that burn charcoal and wood chunks are reverse flow. https://humphreysbbq.myshopify.com/p...s-landing-page

Remember heat rises. In an offset that's an issue for even temps which is why reverse flow works. In a vertical you don't have that same issue. The top rack will be hotter naturally but with a deflector it should be even from side to side.
Stlsportster is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-28-2017, 12:36 AM   #4
SmittyJonz

Direct Firebox Reverse Flow Vertical Stickburner. Not Mine - But I Wish it Was.!

Last edited by SmittyJonz; 09-28-2017 at 12:44 AM..
SmittyJonz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-28-2017, 06:43 AM   #5
Nuco59
Babbling Farker

Don't think I've seen a build that was touted as "vertical offset w/ reverse flow". I can't even see in my head how it'd work- or be better. In most businesses, you are looking for a feature to set you apart from the crowd. Building smokers is probably not much different- past the fabrication skills, pricing and delivery window- you need that one thing no one else has (or does better than you). I think if a Reverse /vertical offset were a thing- someone would be tooting their horn. /shrug.

Draw something up and show us your vision for this rig.

Old 09-28-2017, 07:30 AM   #6
brochip1
Knows what a fatty is.

[QUOTE=SmittyJonz;3877501]Direct Firebox Reverse Flow Vertical Stickburner. Not Mine - But I Wish it Was.!

She's mine and she's great! Small footprint and a large capacity. Heat and smoke travel up the space in the sidewalls, enter the cook chamber from the top, and are drawn back down and out through the smoke stack which is located just above the water pan then back up and out. She holds temps great. I personally like to cook at higher temps and maintain temps between 285-315 with no problem. Over all I've been extremely pleased with the design and the operation of this unit.
brochip1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-01-2017, 08:34 PM   #7
VON_RAUCH_HAUS
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyJonz View Post

Smittyjonz thanks those pics. I see those big sticks burning in there and seems very well in the world. Thanks for the feedback. Not alot of chatter out there about vertical stick burners so good to see.

Old 10-01-2017, 08:41 PM   #8
VON_RAUCH_HAUS
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stlsportster View Post
Just my opinion, but you don't need reverse flow with a vertical.

The LSG Vertical Offset uses a deflector. http://www.lonestargrillz.com/Vertical-Smokers.html

The Old Country Smokehouse isn't offset, but in line. There is a built in deflector plate. http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/old-...its-smokehouse

Some of the insulated cabinets that burn charcoal and wood chunks are reverse flow. https://humphreysbbq.myshopify.com/p...s-landing-page

Remember heat rises. In an offset that's an issue for even temps which is why reverse flow works. In a vertical you don't have that same issue. The top rack will be hotter naturally but with a deflector it should be even from side to side.
I hear you after this feedback leaning toward a straight up vertical smoker. (maybe reverse flow for the hell of it.) Thanks!

Old 10-01-2017, 08:58 PM   #9
VON_RAUCH_HAUS
Found some matches.

Default Reverse flow / vertical (offset)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuco59 View Post
Don't think I've seen a build that was touted as "vertical offset w/ reverse flow". I can't even see in my head how it'd work- or be better. In most businesses, you are looking for a feature to set you apart from the crowd. Building smokers is probably not much different- past the fabrication skills, pricing and delivery window- you need that one thing no one else has (or does better than you). I think if a Reverse /vertical offset were a thing- someone would be tooting their horn. /shrug.

Draw something up and show us your vision for this rig.
Hi Nuco59, this is what I can across but seems to me getting the smoke up the sides evenly from the offset would be too much too bother with?
Any way the blurry pic is reference from online and my sketch was me scheming how that might work? Top left sketch.

Old 10-01-2017, 11:35 PM   #10
Notorious Q.U.E.
is One Chatty Farker

Sounds cool but my knee jerk is that's a heck of a lot of turns of smoke. I wonder during stormy gusty winds if it starts to struggle. I ask because we are storming out by me and our patio umbrella ripped today

"...can't you see? Sometimes your words just hypnotize me and I just love your flashy ways. Guess that's why they broke and you're so paid!!!"
Notorious Q.U.E. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-02-2017, 08:57 AM   #11
VON_RAUCH_HAUS
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notorious Q.U.E. View Post
Sounds cool but my knee jerk is that's a heck of a lot of turns of smoke. I wonder during stormy gusty winds if it starts to struggle. I ask because we are storming out by me and our patio umbrella ripped today
Dig the the handle Notorious Q U E. I hear you thanks for the feedback. Seems like trying to make smoke twist and turn too much is inefficient and unnecessary.

Old 10-02-2017, 09:16 AM   #12
Notorious Q.U.E.
is One Chatty Farker

No doubt amigo! Glad you caught the reference:)

Agree, an alternate is to get a killer name brand cooker, ship it, use it, then sell it far far south

When I lived in he Middle East during my Navy service, a stock Ford F-150 pickup (1-2 years old) was a coveted jewel. Because of massive import duties, an American service member could sell a private vehicle and make a net profit of 10-15K!!

Food for thought, check out the LSG VO. You could have a first class cooker and then get most of your money back by selling it abroad because it’s so dang scarce

"...can't you see? Sometimes your words just hypnotize me and I just love your flashy ways. Guess that's why they broke and you're so paid!!!"
Notorious Q.U.E. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-02-2017, 09:17 AM   #13
ArnieTex
Full Fledged Farker

Backwoods and PitMaker boxes would be considered reverse flow imo but I also do not think it is neccessary, you can make great bbq without that type of design. However if your determined to do it go for it, there is no right way or wrong way to bbq. Jmo.
ArnieTex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-05-2017, 08:21 PM   #14
SmittyJonz

Tags
build smoker, offset, reverse flow, Vertical