Sam's or Rest. Depot Turkey

Plowboy

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Has anyone used any of the turkey "loaf" type of products either at Sam's, Costco, or Restaurant Depot that are actually good? I've got to do some turkey for two catering jobs and would like to use one of these types of products if I can. They are easier to manage and take up less space than whole birds. However, I want something that will taste good, too.

Never had any luck with them, because I've been afraid to try them. I've used whole turkeys from RD quite a bit and they are good, but I've not had a space concern. We've also used turkey breasts from Sam's and they are good.

I'd be OK with a butterball boneless breast. They are "real" but the cost is a little prohibitive.

My sister brought me a loaf from either Sam's or Costco one thanksgiving that she wanted me to smoke for her. We pitched it after we let it rest, and tasted it. The texture was just way off. It may have just been bad product, but I haven't been bold enough to try it again.

I've tried one of the Sam's products, (they have several) and it was aweful. Certainly places like Gates BBQ here in KC aren't cooking whole turkeys. There has to be a product out there that will work.

I've tried them, and, like WineMaster said, might a well buy turkey Spam. The have to be cooked while frozen so that you don't see what the raw product is like in it's true form - an emulsion of ingredients with some turkey chunks thrown in for good measure.

I've tried them, and, like WineMaster said, might a well buy turkey Spam. The have to be cooked while frozen so that you don't see what the raw product is like in it's true form - an emulsion of ingredients with some turkey chunks thrown in for good measure.

Have you tried ALL of them?

I havent, Let me/us know if ya find a good one. Cant use Yardbird on it though, That stuff makes everything taste good. (LOL)

Dan

I usually de-bone a whole breast. If the breast are very large, over 12lbs, then I leave them separate and tie each one up, the smaller ones I tie together. This gives a nice boneless breast that can be smoked or baked then sliced for sammies or dinners with all the trimmings.

De-boning is quick and since I boil the leftover bone for stock or soup, what ever meat is left will be used for soup or cut up in gravy or wherever.

Jeff

RD has "real" turkey breast frozen & de-boned. They're not "Jennie-o type loafs" like what Sams carrys. They're are packed in a case of two. I smoked one a while back and it was good. Easy to cook & slice being bonless. Wrapped a Frogmat around it while smoking to keep the shape even and to reduce dryness. Still have one in the freezer that has an appointment with the smoker soon. Good luck.

RD has "real" turkey breast frozen & de-boned. They're not "Jennie-o type loafs" like what Sams carrys. They're are packed in a case of two. I smoked one a while back and it was good. Easy to cook & slice being bonless. Wrapped a Frogmat around it while smoking to keep the shape even and to reduce dryness. Still have one in the freezer that has an appointment with the smoker soon. Good luck.

That sounds promising. Thanks.

Todd,
How many you doing Turkey for? We usually cook them with yardbird and honey, pull them, pan them and reheat in chicken stock and honey with a sprinkling of yardbird.

Todd,
How many you doing Turkey for? We usually cook them with yardbird and honey, pull them, pan them and reheat in chicken stock and honey with a sprinkling of yardbird.

One gig is for 200-250 (don't have the final number yet). The other is for 80. However, both will be with pork and brisket as well.

I use about 3 cases of the Rest. Depot Frozen raw turkey breast a week. They work very well for me. I was using $2.80 petite turkey breasts before I found these. They are boneless skin-on turkey breasts. The only thing is that sometimes the smaller tenderloin seperates from the breast.

I use about 3 cases of the Rest. Depot Frozen raw turkey breast a week. They work very well for me. I was using $2.80 petite turkey breasts before I found these. They are boneless skin-on turkey breasts. The only thing is that sometimes the smaller tenderloin seperates from the breast.

How big are the cases and how much per pound?

120_2069.jpg

turkeybreast0001.jpg

holy crap, these pics are huge.....sorrry. These are costco's deboned turkey breasts in netting, less than 3 bucks a pound. Yes, injected but little waste and you can remove from netting, season inside and renet. I like em, but my local costco stop carrying them last fall, dang it. Maybe your's still carries them. again, sorry for the huge ass pics. t

Back