MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-20-2014, 12:42 PM   #256
Militant83
is one Smokin' Farker

Just made some up today...and saved the red sauce recipe to make another time. I love vinegar based sauces so these are right up my alley.

Old 06-20-2014, 12:43 PM   #257
Tricky
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by aawa View Post
I have made several batches with sriracha. I do like it, but I prefer franks red hot or a habanero mango hot sauce that my roommate has to make the Shack Sauce.
I used Srirarcha and thought it was great. I asked my wife to pick up some other hot sauce - I told her "doesn't matter what kind, just any cayenne based hot pepper sauce." She heard the "doesn't matter what kind" and got some habanero hot sauce that has me a bit concerned (I like "spicy hot" but not "blow off the top of your head" hot).

But I'll give it a go next time with some of that! Thanks
Rec Tec with bull horns -- UDS (Big Blue) -- 2 Weber kettles -- Weber gasser -- DCS outdoor stainless built-in nat. gasser with smoker box and rotisserie -- Dutch ovens a-plenty -- bright yellow can't-lose-me Thermapen
Tricky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2014, 12:46 PM   #258
aawa
Babbling Farker

If you are worried about the shack sauce being too hot with that habanero hot sauce. Just add a little bit in, give it a taste. If it is good leave it right there, if you want more heat, add a little bit more and give it a taste, repeat as much as necessary.

I did that with the habanero mango sauce to make sure I didn't light my mouth on fire.

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-20-2014, 05:40 PM   #259
jemezspring
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestsmokeboy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky
Anyone tried it with Sriracha? I made a batch a couple of weekends ago and it was fantastic, but it was the first time I had made it and I'm curious if its that much different than if I would have used Franks or something like that.

Funny you should post this today as exactly 2 years ago today, post #44, I wrote about making this with sriracha. That batch tasted more like a pure hot sauce to me. But I later used a measuring cup and found out I was not using enough vinegar. The recipe called for 1 1/2 cups and I used less than a cup. To this day it is still my favorite sauce for pulled pork. Also good on chicken, pizza, fried fish, eggs or straight out the bottle to wake up the taste buds.

The recipe calls for 3 cups of vinegar not 1 1/2cups. That could be the problem
Not sure what recipe or version you are talking about but post #1 by Boshizzle calls for 1 1/2 cups vinegar.
jemezspring is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2014, 07:21 PM   #260
midwestsmokeboy
Full Fledged Farker

I was going on the recipe posted on the card a few entries back. Sorry
midwestsmokeboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2014, 09:51 PM   #261
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

I use Texas Pete hot sauce in my version of Shack Sauce. Even though it's called "Texas" Pete, it's actually a North Carolina hot sauce.

Old 06-21-2014, 06:07 AM   #262
NeilH
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boshizzle View Post
I use Texas Pete hot sauce in my version of Shack Sauce. Even though it's called "Texas" Pete, it's actually a North Carolina hot sauce.
That's what I use also. I use the Hotter Texas Pete. Only comes in small bottle.
NeilH is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2014, 10:38 PM   #263
Boshizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilH View Post
That's what I use also. I use the Hotter Texas Pete. Only comes in small bottle.
That's good sauce when you want more heat than vinegar flavor!

Old 07-15-2014, 10:43 PM   #264
Boshizzle

I noticed that I didn't share much about Shack. Shack was an African American BBQ cook born around 1840. He was asked to be the cook for a Virginia regiment during the Civil War. While he was just a cook, he demanded that he be allowed to carry a rifle. It turns out that he never fired his rifle but was often seen on the front lines picking up and carrying wounded soldiers to safety behind the lines and he never dropped his rifle a single time!

Those he saved were so incensed that he was denied the right to vote by authorities that they almost rioted. At the point of tears many of them demanded that Shack be allowed to vote even though he couldn't pay the polls tax as he "followed ol' Mars Bob (General Robert E. Lee) from Bethel to Appomattox." The authorities relented and signed Shack up to vote!

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-16-2014, 05:47 AM   #265
SmokinIllini
Full Fledged Farker

Now THAT's a great story!

Let me be the 493rd person to ask: When's this book of yours coming out?

Old 07-16-2014, 07:12 AM   #266
NeilH
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boshizzle View Post
That's good sauce when you want more heat than vinegar flavor!
It still has plenty vinegar flavor and right amount of heat I noticed.
NeilH is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-16-2014, 09:12 AM   #267
castlepines
is One Chatty Farker

18 pages of responses for a hot sauce recipe! Crazy! Must be good stuff. I'll have to mix some up and let it settle for a while for use next week!
castlepines is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-16-2014, 09:21 AM   #268
Thingfish
is One Chatty Farker

I have had some mellowing in my fridge for a few weeks now. It improves with age like a fine wine. I plan to use it on pulled pork this weekend.
Thermoworks Smoke, Red "Backlit" Thermopen, Red ChefAlarm, Red Thermopop
Thingfish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-16-2014, 10:09 PM   #269
castlepines
is One Chatty Farker

I mixed some up tonight with no plans to use it any time soon. I used Louisiana hot sauce. Looking forward to seeing what the raving is all about!
castlepines is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-09-2015, 01:38 PM   #270
doubt3
Full Fledged Farker

Saw this mentioned in another thread. Going to make a batch tonight.