Need help buying a smoker....

I think you will be very happy with it.

For small cooks, like a meat loaf or some appetizers, make a mini-WSM kit for your Smokey Joe.

picture.php

And, you can do a small roast or a single rack of ribs on the 22.5 OTG with a small amount of fuel.

picture.php

Or, add a rotisserie kit to the kettle for even more cooking options.

picture.php

Being winter in MI, you can also do some cold smoking on your new WSM by making a tin-can and soldering iron smoke generator for about ten bucks.

picture.php

With the grills/smokers that you will have when the new WSM arrives, it is amazing what you can do.

CD

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
casey - cool mod for the smokey joe! I had never thought of that. I'm going to have to try that out.

jeff - Wow, awesome. I was thinking about my rib racks also, I should be able to get 8 on those, then possibly a couple on each side of the rack. I'll have to see how much I can load up.

I wanted the same and have been doing research for long time. I have decided on the Meadow Creek PR36. Its a little more than your budget is set for, but its built like a tank with 13 gauge steel, its a pig roaster, grill, and smoker. You can get an optional grill and double your cooking space. Hands down its the best for your money

https://www.bigpoppasmokers.com/store/bbq-smokers-grills/meadow-creek-pr36

Check out this site to get you started

http://amazingribs.com/BBQ_buyers_guide/index.html

2012-07-27_12-31-14_39.jpg

That's two racks of back ribs on one grate on my 18.5 WSM. It comes form the factory with two grates and a third is easily added to fit a total of 6 racks of back ribs. I think you can easily feed 10 on that.

Spare ribs take a little more space but I can fit six trimmed racks of those on as well. (I wind up firing my mini-WSM to handle the trimmings when I do six racks of spare ribs.)

You could probably fit 4-5 racks on each grate using a rib rack that holds them on their sides.

You could probably fit 4-5 racks on each grate using a rib rack that holds them on their sides.

This. I usually cook 4 racks of ribs at a time on my 18.5 using a rib rack on the top grate. No reason you couldn't do 4 more on the bottom grate.

Yeah i've gotten 6 racks on my 18.5 using rib racks. I even foiled them after 2 hours and back in the racks. Wasn't fun but doable. Ribs came out great. Everyone at the hunting camp loved them. Would be really easy on a 22.5.

One mans trash is another mans treasure...

I was kind of looking for another smoker. (Offset) last Winter.
I found a heavy metal one in a barn at an Estate Sale.
It wasn't priced, so I went around front and asked the lady taking money how much for the smoker.
She said she thought her Nephew might want it...
I asked how much he wanted it? She priced it at $250.00 and I gave her $225.00 before anyone said anything.
I drove around to the barn with my truck... got my wife, and got out of there like someone was chasing me. I had to clean it up and make a deflector plate, but I found mine cheap. :mrgreen:

NOW I NEVER GO TO ESTATE SALES WITHOUT CHECKING OUTBUILDINGS...

I found a 1995 Blue WSM at a sale on Lake Martin... $40.00, looks new.
It's under my patio shed, with my UDS, and a small heavy duty smoker.

How many slabs of ribs could I get on that wsm?

I don't have a WSM, but the grates are the same size as a UDS or 22.5" kettle. If you have to, you can use rib racks and get a LOT on each grate. I could have squeezed more on, but in the photo below, there's 6 racks on each of 2, making a total of 12 racks of BB's on my UDS. This same thing could happen on a 22.5" WSM I'd think.

DSCN3342.jpg

I wanted the same and have been doing research for long time. I have decided on the Meadow Creek PR36. Its a little more than your budget is set for,

That one definitely looked nice! I considered it, but the cover and shipping would have put me too far over. I almost caved when I saw $725. Let me know how it is when it comes!

Back