MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-17-2018, 01:38 PM   #871
BKING!
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Brent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dly4 View Post
They’re not mutually exclusive, but when buying an expensive toy, fuel consumption just isn’t a consideration for me. There are many fantastic pellet grills that are much cheaper, and if I was worried about fuel cost, I would have bought one of them.
Does yours have the opening in the defector/drip tray? I was wondering how well that functioned for grilling.

Old 11-17-2018, 02:08 PM   #872
rwalters
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Robb

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKING! View Post
Does yours have the opening in the defector/drip tray? I was wondering how well that functioned for grilling.

Although I know you aren’t asking me, thought I’d chime in with what I’ve seen...

The Yoder YS640, when coupled with the trap door drip pan, makes for an amazing grill!!! It is not a large grilling area, but there is probably about 200-225sq” of very useable space. From everything I have read and seen, it may very well be the best overall pellet searing cooker on the market!

This is just me, but one of the biggest reasons that I went with a MAK, is because the entire cooking surface can be used for grilling. That was/is super important to me. Still nowhere near the searing power of the Yoder though.

Just depends on what you are after...

#Priorties

[emoji4]
Come follow my adventures on Instagram: @rwaltersbbq
rwalters is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-17-2018, 02:22 PM   #873
Joshw
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalters View Post
Although I know you aren’t asking me, thought I’d chime in with what I’ve seen...

The Yoder YS640, when coupled with the trap door drip pan, makes for an amazing grill!!! It is not a large grilling area, but there is probably about 200-225sq” of very useable space. From everything I have read and seen, it may very well be the best overall pellet searing cooker on the market!

This is just me, but one of the biggest reasons that I went with a MAK, is because the entire cooking surface can be used for grilling. That was/is super important to me. Still nowhere near the searing power of the Yoder though.

Just depends on what you are after...

#Priorties

[emoji4]
You can absolutely grill on the entire surface of the Yoder. You just don't get direct flame, on the entire surface. I rarely use any grill, where the whole grate is setup for direct grilling. It gets to over 600 degrees, which is plenty hot to grill anything. With grill grates, you can amplify that even more.
Joshw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-17-2018, 02:29 PM   #874
rwalters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshw View Post
You can absolutely grill on the entire surface of the Yoder. You just don't get direct flame, on the entire surface. I rarely use any grill, where the whole grate is setup for direct grilling. It gets to over 600 degrees, which is plenty hot to grill anything. With grill grates, you can amplify that even more.

Agree! The original question was specific to grilling over the trap door. That’s a much more intense heat that would be confined to a much smaller area. Searing vs grilling. At least that’s the way I see it... lol.

Old 11-17-2018, 02:54 PM   #875
Dly4
Knows what a fatty is.

Thumbs up

Quote:
It does have the trapdoor for grilling. I’ve only used it once so far, but it worked great. I was very impressed. I’ll try to get some pictures next time I use it.
Dly4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-17-2018, 03:48 PM   #876
BKING!
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dly4 View Post
It does have the trapdoor for grilling. I’ve only used it once so far, but it worked great. I was very impressed. I’ll try to get some pictures next time I use it.
Thanks for everyone that has responded. There are a ton of unique designs out there. The Yoder set up is probably my favorite but it seems many different companies have their own unique way to sear. Mak is neat in that you can sear edge to edge but the drawback is the heat won’t be as intense but it’s definetely sufficient in vmost cases

Old 11-17-2018, 03:54 PM   #877
rwalters

Quote:
Thanks for everyone that has responded. There are a ton of unique designs out there. The Yoder set up is probably my favorite but it seems many different companies have their own unique way to sear. Mak is neat in that you can sear edge to edge but the drawback is the heat won’t be as intense but it’s definetely sufficient in vmost cases

I think you’ve nailed it! I know that with my MAK, when I remove the Flame Zone covers and set the controller to Grill (high), the controller tops off at 500ish, but the actual grate temp clocks in between 600-650° every time I have measured it. That’s plenty hot for everyday grilling... in fact, I almost never cook that hot. I find that 450° is the perfect grilling temp for almost everything. But like you said, for searing, I do not believe the MAK can come anywhere close to the Yoder!! That’s what my Weber kettle is for :)

Old 11-17-2018, 04:19 PM   #878
BKING!
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
I think you’ve nailed it! I know that with my MAK, when I remove the Flame Zone covers and set the controller to Grill (high), the controller tops off at 500ish, but the actual grate temp clocks in between 600-650° every time I have measured it. That’s plenty hot for everyday grilling... in fact, I almost never cook that hot. I find that 450° is the perfect grilling temp for almost everything. But like you said, for searing, I do not believe the MAK can come anywhere close to the Yoder!! That’s what my Weber kettle is for :)
It seems the Pitts and spitts design is similar as well. I’m interested in how well it works. I love my Mak though for smoking. Just my opinion but I think it’s probably the best pellet SMOKER out there.

Old 11-17-2018, 05:12 PM   #879
BKING!
is One Chatty Farker

https://amazingribs.com/smoker/pitts...t-grill-review

A neat review on the maverick.

Old 11-17-2018, 05:13 PM   #880
rwalters

Quote:
It seems the Pitts and spitts design is similar as well. I’m interested in how well it works. I love my Mak though for smoking. Just my opinion but I think it’s probably the best pellet SMOKER out there.

No first hand experience, but I have spoken to a few guys that have cooked on both Yoders and Pitts and Spitts. All have said that the direct grilling experience was much better on the Yoder. Not that the Pitts can’t sear, but the Yoder is just set up better for this task.

Old 11-17-2018, 05:32 PM   #881
BKING!
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
No first hand experience, but I have spoken to a few guys that have cooked on both Yoders and Pitts and Spitts. All have said that the direct grilling experience was much better on the Yoder. Not that the Pitts can’t sear, but the Yoder is just set up better for this task.
Yeah It seems that way

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=G2KCfzsO3So

I found a reverse sear vid. Does a respectable job still though considering how little time there was between flips

Old 11-17-2018, 05:47 PM   #882
rwalters

Quote:
Yeah It seems that way

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=G2KCfzsO3So

I found a reverse sear vid. Does a respectable job still though considering how little time there was between flips

I guess after adding a Slow n Sear to my kettle, nothing seems to sear well anymore... lol. The SnS/kettle setup is insanely hot!!! :)

Old 11-18-2018, 08:44 PM   #883
TexasRT
Full Fledged Farker

First cook on the new Mak 1 Star. Sorry no pics.
There is definitely a learning curve when going to a pellet grill after using a charcoal grill. Todays first cook consisted of bacon wrapped stuffed jalapeños, cajun chicken sausage, boudin, homemade Mac and cheese and grilled/smoked chicken. In the end everything came out really good. After playing with temps and the flame zone, the chicken came out very moist with almost crispy bite thru skin. I am happy with the outcome and look forward to getting more practice on the new grill.

Thanks from: --->
Old 11-18-2018, 08:52 PM   #884
rwalters

Default The Official Pellet Grill Smoker thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRT View Post
First cook on the new Mak 1 Star. Sorry no pics.
There is definitely a learning curve when going to a pellet grill after using a charcoal grill. Todays first cook consisted of bacon wrapped stuffed jalapeños, cajun chicken sausage, boudin, homemade Mac and cheese and grilled/smoked chicken. In the end everything came out really good. After playing with temps and the flame zone, the chicken came out very moist with almost crispy bite thru skin. I am happy with the outcome and look forward to getting more practice on the new grill.

Yep, as with any new cooker...gotta learn it [emoji4]

Once you get a handle on the MAK (shouldn’t take long), you are in for some easy/delicious cooking! I think there is also a transition for many people as far as flavor when moving from charcoal to pellets. I have come to absolutely love the flavor of pellet cooked food [emoji39]

Oh yeah, and as you already mentioned, the moisture!!!

Old 11-18-2018, 08:59 PM   #885
BKING!
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Yep, as with any new cooker...gotta learn it [emoji4]

Once you get a handle on the MAK (shouldn’t take long), you are in for some easy/delicious cooking! I think there is also a transition for many people as far as flavor when moving from charcoal to pellets. I have come to absolutely love the flavor of pellet cooked food [emoji39]

Oh yeah, and as you already mentioned, the moisture!!!
Yep I’m a total pellet convert now. Which kinda sucks since they’re pretty much the most expensive cooker per sq inch. Why can’t I be a kettle head instead lol