MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 07-20-2019, 09:29 PM   #1
VanSteel
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Van
Default SCA cook-offs

Has anyone here participated in a SCA event before? They look like a lot of fun. Also, while I do actually have GrillGrates, and I really enjoy using them, it looks like 90% of SCA steaks are cooked on them. Does anyone ever win doing a steak in a cast iron skillet, or are perfect grill marks pretty much necessary?
VanSteel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2019, 08:35 AM   #2
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

There aren’t a lot of them around here but we have done a few. I think 4 last year and 5 so far this year with 3 more planned. We enjoy being able to travel light and fit everything in our SUV Instead of taking the truck and toy hauler, and the same day in and out is nice> i don’t have to use up vacations days at work.

As far as grill marks, they aren’t mandatory and cast iron seared steaks have won, but are less common from what I can tell. Maybe an SCA Judge will chime is as far as what they see being presented.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2019, 07:34 PM   #3
JackBBQ
Got Wood.

SCA judge here. The judges handbook clearly states that grill marks are not required, and the guy who conducted my training class emphasized that as well.

That being said, I've never seen a steak at my table that didn't have grill marks. But I would welcome one, because I like the entire surface of the steak to be grilled.
JackBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-22-2019, 10:48 AM   #4
EricD
is One Chatty Farker

I haven't competed, but I do have a Blackstone Griddle.
Does no one bring a Griddle to these events?
22" Weber Kettle black, 18" Weber Kettle black,Weber Genesis S-310 Stainless Gasser, Weber Genesis Silver Edition Gasser, 22" Weber Smoky Mountain, 28" Blackstone Griddle, Blackstone Pizza Oven, The Big Easy, Anova Immersion Cooker, PizzaQue, Kettle Rotisserie, Infrared temp gun, Maverick ET-732, ThermaPop, Grillaholics Grill Mats
EricD is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2019, 12:56 PM   #5
Ron_L

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBBQ View Post
SCA judge here. The judges handbook clearly states that grill marks are not required, and the guy who conducted my training class emphasized that as well.

That being said, I've never seen a steak at my table that didn't have grill marks. But I would welcome one, because I like the entire surface of the steak to be grilled.
Good info! I have seen pictures on Facebook of seared steaks that have scored well, but they seem to be rare

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricD View Post
I haven't competed, but I do have a Blackstone Griddle.
Does no one bring a Griddle to these events?
Haven’t seen one, but I’m sure that someone has. Any heat source is allowed so I have seen Sous vide steaks

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/

Old 07-22-2019, 01:55 PM   #6
Slamdunkpro
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
Good info! I have seen pictures on Facebook of seared steaks that have scored well, but they seem to be rare

Haven’t seen one, but I’m sure that someone has. Any heat source is allowed so I have seen Sous vide steaks
I Sous Vided my first two SCA contests - got killed. SCA has an incredibly small target window if you want to win.
Spicewine Tandem - "The Beast"
, 2 Vulcan V33's & 1 V9
Brinkman modified upright, Weber Kettle(s); Meadow Creek Pr-24, Super Stealth Mode black & Night Vision Red Thermopens
-----------------
MABA - (Mid Atlantic BBQ Association) President
KCBS Certified Judge - #23289
Slamdunkpro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2019, 02:41 PM   #7
Ron_L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamdunkpro View Post
I Sous Vided my first two SCA contests - got killed. SCA has an incredibly small target window if you want to win.
Which scoring criteria killed you? A friend turned in a sous vide steak in his first SCA cook a few weeks back and placed 5th.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/

Old 07-22-2019, 03:43 PM   #8
didisea
Take a breath!

Kosmo's Q has a great video that shows an entire SCA contest. While all of the things he did to the steak, (like dry brining with a lot of salt, and marinating it) I don't do, his process of cooking it on the grill is good and I watch it to remember how to do the steps right before I cook my steak so that I get the steps down right in my head before I head to the grill. The 11 minute mark of the video is the start of the good part.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEShU6exOr8
didisea is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2019, 07:08 PM   #9
Slamdunkpro
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
Which scoring criteria killed you? A friend turned in a sous vide steak in his first SCA cook a few weeks back and placed 5th.
Texture / Overall / Appearance

I ditched the Sousvide & cast iron full sear for the charcoal / grill grates and my scores went waaaaay up
, 2 Vulcan V33's & 1 V9
Brinkman modified upright, Weber Kettle(s); Meadow Creek Pr-24, Super Stealth Mode black & Night Vision Red Thermopens
-----------------

Old 07-23-2019, 10:10 AM   #10
NoNotTheDuo
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamdunkpro View Post
Texture / Overall / Appearance

I ditched the Sousvide & cast iron full sear for the charcoal / grill grates and my scores went waaaaay up
Did you ever try Sous Vide and then a quick sear with Grill Grates? That's something I've always been interested in trying.
NoNotTheDuo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2019, 01:19 PM   #11
Slamdunkpro
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNotTheDuo View Post
Did you ever try Sous Vide and then a quick sear with Grill Grates? That's something I've always been interested in trying.
Tried it. Still got killed on Texture and overall
, 2 Vulcan V33's & 1 V9
-----------------