MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-25-2013, 11:50 AM   #31
whiteboycustom
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

heck i say keep all that fat on there, just trim off the hard fat

fat = juicy flavor
whiteboycustom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2013, 07:06 AM   #32
kgressler
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboycustom View Post
heck i say keep all that fat on there, just trim off the hard fat

fat = juicy flavor
Thought I left a lot of fat on there. Much more then I did the previous time.
Very frustrated. Feel like I did everything right and the flat was still leather.
kgressler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2013, 07:22 AM   #33
speers90
is One Chatty Farker

Since you didn't post any pics of the finished product I will ask: did you slice it properly?

The Beast: 500 Gallon Homemade Reverse Flow
[url]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=187401[/url]
Weber 22"
Cajun Fryer FF2
speers90 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2013, 07:48 AM   #34
accuseal
On the road to being a farker

Default Re: 2nd attempt at over night brisket

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgressler View Post
That's what I was thinking but with the IT temp at 207 would going higher just overcook it?
I was probing every 20-30 minutes after 195 and the flat just never relaxed.
Sometimes they can be really stubborn. I foil after the bark is set so that it doesn't dry out.
accuseal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2013, 08:12 AM   #35
dwfisk
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave

Don't stop now! Hell, I probably ruined 6 or 8 of my first dozen and still screw one up every once in a while, but man when you nail one its worth all the frustration. And, like my boys say a little tough or dry is a bunch better than none or the chit you get in most chain joints!

Old 02-26-2013, 10:51 AM   #36
kgressler
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speers90 View Post
Since you didn't post any pics of the finished product I will ask: did you slice it properly?
I believe I did. I seperated the flat from the point. Cut against the grain on the flat 1/4 inch slices or so. The point I had trouble slicing because it was so juicy so I chopped it.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:53 AM   #37
kgressler
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by accuseal View Post
Sometimes they can be really stubborn. I foil after the bark is set so that it doesn't dry out.
I didnt foil. I did you paper paper though. When I pulled it the top didnt look dryed out at all. There was moisture on the surface of the brisket though out the entire cook.

Old 02-27-2013, 12:08 PM   #38
kgressler
Knows what a fatty is.

Bumping this up to see of anyone has any helpful ideas as to why the flat was dry.
Anything i should have done differently?

Old 02-27-2013, 01:15 PM   #39
luke duke
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Here is the 16lb piece of yum yums. I read somewhere online that you should try and by one that will fold over itself when you hold it in the middle. This one was the best one SAMs had. It folded over nicely. Strange thing is all the briskets were marked 2.38lb but 3 and the 3 that were marked 2.48lb were the ones that were not stiff as a board. Not sure why the .10 difference but I picked the one that was the least firm so we will see if this makes a difference.
The cheaper ones may have been select and the more expensive ones choice.
luke duke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2013, 01:36 PM   #40
AustinKnight
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : D

Quote:
Ok gotchya on the pit temp sounds good. As far as taking the temp on the brisket. I took the temp in about 4-5 spots it just happens that it was in the point when I took the temp.

Doesnt matter. I pulled it at 207 in the flat and it was pretty tender but not the butta that people talk about. Let it rest and it was still "dry" I cant beleive I under cooked it and it makes no sense that i over cooked it. The flat just didnt turnout as I expected.The flat wasnt too bad where it was closest to the point but and near the bottom where the fat cap is/was.
The point was hard to slice. Very moist but just kind of fell apart when I sliced it. Perfect for being pulled.

Kind of frustrating really thought I had all my bases cover this time.
May be time to scrap brisket all together.
You need to go on feel save the temp thing for chicken. When it feels like butter you pull it. I check my briskets with a thermopen through the butcher paper in the middle of the flat at the top not sides for feel and don't even look at temp. A brisket will firm up kinda plump a little before its ready, you don't want to keep stabbing a brisket with a probe you will let out all it's juice. When you pull it using butcher paper you place it still wrapped on the bottom of a cambro, latch the cambro but don't lock it (keep it cracked) for 30 min to vent and kinda warm, or leave it out on a table top still wrapped to cool 30 min before you stick it in a cooler/cambro. Also I didn't start getting the results I wanted tell I cranked up the heat to 300+ cooking them in 4-5 hours and given a long 4 hour hold.

Brisket is the hardest to figure out and a well cooked one is worth all the hassle, you have to keep trying brotha.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:09 PM   #41
Big M1ke
is one Smokin' Farker

Don't give up man. Keep pluggin away. You'll get it

Old 02-27-2013, 05:56 PM   #42
cbudka
Got Wood.

Default Nice

:) :)

Last edited by cbudka; 02-27-2013 at 05:57 PM.. Reason: Removed comment
cbudka is offline   Reply With Quote