Oakridge HDD and Pineapple glazed twice smoked ham sammiches

deguerre

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
On Thanksgiving we did a fully cooked smoked ham on the kettle with a glaze. The kettle was dialed in to ~300 with some hickory chunks for smoke. The ham was scored in a cross hatched pattern and cloves were inserted in the intersecting grooves, then allowed to heat up to about 125 IT.

ham-3.jpg

Meanwhile I made a glaze out of the following. The ham was placed in a pan, glazed, covered with pineapple slices and glazed again and back into the cooker to 150.

1/2 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
1/4 cup vinegar
2~3 TBS honey
2 rounded tsp powdered mustard
3 TBS HDD (Yes, I did say 3 TBS)
The juice from one can of pineapple slices in natural pineapple juice poured in at the last until I had the desired consistancy.

The result was...

ham1-2.jpg

I have to tell you, the HDD added a TREMENDOUS dimension to the glaze and pan juices that collected. It was farking fantastic hot out of the cooker for dinner.

Anyway, on to the sammiches.

Ingredients...

ham2-1.jpg

Pan toasting mayo coated bread

ham3.jpg

Some more mayo, then layers of heated ham, swiss and cheddar, the obligatory bacon, maters and lettuce...

ham4.jpg

ham5.jpg

ham6.jpg

ham7.jpg

ham8.jpg

OK, so I scorched the bread a wee bit, but it tasted good.

The Sammie money shot...
ham9.jpg

Redhot's...With sides:heh:

ham91.jpg

These were pretty amazing. The double smoked ham had an outstanding flavor!

We'll be doing this again.

Thanks for looking!

Ok... no fair! That looks very delicious, and I don't have a farking thing to eat in the house. Please deposit one nummy sammich in a box and send it to me. :mrgreen:

Aaarrrggghh!! Time to go shopping!:eusa_clap

guerry, i'm cooking a from scratch ham for christmas.

was the added HDD hot to taste? or just opened the buds with enough heat to let all the flavors in.

it's for a group of people i don't want to hear ew! ew! ew! this is sooo spicey from.

to me, and i'm guessing you, HDD isn't all THAT hot.

Somebody ought to name that one after you, Guerry. It is a thing of beauty... and prolly pretty farkin' tasty, too, hang it! Gotta get out to the store as soon as this weather lets up! :tsk:

Back