Question about smoking with a UDS in cold weather....

T

tlcpokertables

Hi everyone,
I just made my 1st UDS and it's finally ready for use! The smoker I had before, was a vertical propane smoker (one from Home Depot) and found it hard to regulate temp in the winter time because it was such thin gauge metal. Should I expect the same results with my UDS? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Not as bad but u might have some trouble - wrap it in a welding blanket

Wind is the killer for a UDS, WSM or similar cookers. If it is cold outside you'll use more fuel to maintain the same temp than you would during warmer weather, but add in the wind and it will cause temp fluctuations. A welding blanket or some sort of wind block helps a lot.

I don't see too much sub freezing weather here in the NW but I do find it easier to hold the temps when its cool than when its hot. Wind makes it tough, real cool and drizzly makes getting it to hold 275 a bit tougher.

i use a couple old wool army blankets drapped over the top of mine in the winter time, sometimes i will pull it inside the garage and leave the door open if the wind is out of the right direction....

and it doesnt get much colder and windier than SD in the lower 48.

Hmmm. I live in the Dirty Mitten and it can get pretty cold here, but I never really have a problem getting the temps I want and maintaining them. Do I use more fuel than in warmer months? Sure, but everything does in winter including engines. Try it and see how it goes, you might not need to do anything extra. Are your intakes/exhaust vertical stack types? I think that really helps block out the wind... Mine are, and even in the cold wind I swear my UDS almost cooks as if it's insulated.

For my intake's, I have a 3/4" vertical pipe with a ball valve on both sides and a 3/4" nipple with a cap (center bottom).
For my exhaust, I have 4 3/4" elbows (with plugs) on the lid.......probably not good for the wind, huh?

I have my doors sealed, I don't need any blanket and have dug out my yard to BBQ in a blizzard. Prepare appropriately and you'll be fine, good luck.

I have some furniture blankets I'm hoping will get me through the Chicago winter, otherwise a well-insulated stickburner is in my future!

I have used a pair of UDS all thru out the winter even at -50f here is a thread of one of them. The biggest thing like others have mentioned is the wind. the ambient air has little effect on the UDS, you just burn more fuel.

Clint

Every time we get more than 7 inches of snow or it gets in single digits I fire up the UDS. Never had an issue.

Jeff

Back