Recommend good nonstick skillets

We just got green pans (got a parrot so must have) and so far so good. I read a few reviews including Americas Test Kitchen saying you shouldn't pay a lot for nonstick since they don't last. Even though they say dishwasher safe I wouldn't do it. Subtracts the life

Henkel Granitium if you can find them. Got an 8, 10 and 12 inch set from Costco for $59. This stuff is tough as nails. Nonstick and you can use metal utensils, oven safe to 500 I think.

Dishwasher detergents are very hard on non-stick coatings.

I've tried most of them and use Stainless Steel clad if it is acidic (tomatoes, lemon, etc.), cast iron if want a hard sear (great thermal capacity) or if it has a lot of fat or grease, and keep a single cheap throw away aluminum non-stick pan for egg dishes like omelets and frittatas, otherwise a bit of canola, butter or, bacon fat works wonders for a fried egg ... mmmm ...

What do you have against coated aluminum?
Aluminum and I have a history of not getting along.

Little over 25 years ago started developing pain in my left shoulder. Didn't worry about it much because I'm right-handed. Got progressively worse over the next year and a half to the point I couldn't raise my left arm from my side to even 90°. Chiropractor I was seeing was no help...performed excruciatingly painful adjustments, yanking up on my left elbow while it was at my side.

Ran into a naturopathic doctor...long story. He diagnosed my issue in less than a minute without any fancy equipment, free of charge. Said I likely had a benign tumor. Told me to quit using antiperspirants (main ingredient in all of them is aluminum oxide). It worked. 3-4 months later my left shoulder was pain-free and back to normal operating range. Been using only deodorants ever since and shoulder is still fine. I recommend quitting antiperspirants to all, especially anyone experiencing shoulder pain.

As far as cookware, will never chance aluminum again, coated or not.

Non-stick rarely lasts more than a couple of years - Tops - in regular use. I have learned the hard way that it isn't worth it to buy a high end non-stick. I love my cast iron but it is damn heavy. My new blue steel is significantly lighter but still has to be babied like cast iron. Ditto on the Sam's stuff.

After further investigation discovered the Viking skillet I ordered has an aluminum core. Cancelled the order.

I'm gonna try carbon steel. Not dishwasher safe. Care is similar to cast iron. This one is pre-seasoned and inexpensive.

Lodge 12 Inch Seasoned Carbon Steel Skillet

I have 2 Calphalon non stick pans, 10" and 12". I have had them 10 years and they are still like new. Sometimes I put them in the dishwasher, sometimes don't because you can literally wipe them clean. Do scrambled eggs all the time with no butter or oil. They were on a deal at the times 2 for 50 bucks.

I have 2 Calphalon non stick pans, 10" and 12". I have had them 10 years and they are still like new. Sometimes I put them in the dishwasher, sometimes don't because you can literally wipe them clean. Do scrambled eggs all the time with no butter or oil. They were on a deal at the times 2 for 50 bucks.
I bought a few of those a couple years ago because a few good recommendations on here. I must be tough on pans because they all need to be replaced.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

If you have stainless pans but have problems with food sticking, put several table spoons of white vinegar in them and heat up till it evaporates. It will last for awhile before you have to do it, not a chemist and not sure why it works but it does.

Also we have 2 sets of Curtis stone ,1 set is 3 years old and works great. 2nd set is a nesting set we bought for the camper , both will work on any stove or the magnetic burners. some things are just easier to sauté stuff in non stick

I have a large Tramontina I picked up at Tuesday Morning and a couple of smaller ones from Kroger. All are holding up well for my uses.

I have a large Tramontina I picked up at Tuesday Morning and a couple of smaller ones from Kroger. All are holding up well for my uses.
Looked at those on Amazon. Pretty good reviews. Unfortunately, aluminum.

If you have stainless pans but have problems with food sticking, put several table spoons of white vinegar in them and heat up till it evaporates. It will last for awhile before you have to do it, not a chemist and not sure why it works but it does.
Thanks for the tip. Have some old stainless Cuisinart skillets. Have only used them for acidic sauces (tomato, lemon, etc) because they were never very good at being nonstick. Will give your suggestion a try.

Back