MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 02-02-2009, 04:04 PM   #1
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim
Default TOTY--- other bodies than KCBS

I have followed the debate about KCBS TOTY rules.
I do not "have a dog in that fight", so will keep my opinion to myself.

I am really curious as to the TOTY programs by the other sanctioning bodies outside of KCBS, and what the teams think of them.

The FBA has a TOTY program that is constantly evolving and works great for us.

From the FBA website:
http://www.flbbq.org/toty.htm

2009 Team of the Year Rules
  • You must cook all 4 categories at a contest to receive any points. A DQ in a category does not disqualify you from points in the other categories.
  • 1 point for showing up and cooking all 4 categories at the contest.
  • 10 points for 1st place in a category, 9 points for 2nd, and so on down to 1 point for 10th place.
  • 10 points for Grand Champion, 9 points for Reserve, 8 points for 3rd overall, and so on down to 1 point for 10th place overall in addition to the category points.
  • No substitute cook teams will be able to participate in the absence of any cook team for the purpose of accumulation of TOTY points.
  • The participation of regular cook team members without the head cook will be subject to review and interpretation by the FBA Board of Directors to determine if TOTY points will be awarded.
  • TOTY points and points for other FBA programs will only be awarded to teams where the head cook is a member of the FBA.
  • The total points at the end of the year will determine the Team of the Year.
  • Only a tie for first place (Team of the Year) will be determined by the total accumulated scores from each contest the teams have cooked; all other places allow for a tie.
  • Neither the FBA Funcook nor the FBA Triple Crown Championship points count toward TOTY.
Last year, Brent and I did "OK" in the TOTY program considering the few number of events we cooked.
For this year, we want to finish higher.
Simple---We must cook more events and we must place higher if we want to move up in the rankings.

To make that happen, I sucked it up and drove 1000 miles round trip to compete at Okeechobee, just to get an event on the record and to get our year started.
Worked out well.
The FBA region encoupances FL, GA, and Al and is huge.
Most serious teams make the investment to travel many, many miles to compete.

We plan on cooking 12 to 15 FBA events this year to reach our goal.
Gonna be time consuming and expensive, but hopefully worth it.

TIM
Just sold Yoder YS640 due health
New Ninja Woodfired Grill for Christmas 2023
The_Kapn is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2009, 04:41 PM   #2
Rub
is Blowin Smoke!

Glad to hear you are going to cook a lot of FBA contests this year Tim! :)
As you stated, we are always thinking about small tweaks to improve the system each year. I believe that an obvious yet often overlooked factor in determining the criteria for TOTY is the simple fact that some organizations don't clearly define what the TOTY winner is supposed to exemplify. In the FBA we have defined what our TOTY is. I often wonder when I read the discussions about the KCBS TOTY system, and changes that people propose, exactly who the people think the TOTY should be? Because apparently they feel the system is flawed or they wouldn't be suggesting change. Personally I don't see how anyone can dispute that Munchin Hogs @ the Hilton should be TOTY in KCBS.
Nature's Own Hardwood Charcoal
Gator Nation
Rub is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2009, 05:43 PM   #3
MilitantSquatter

NEBS totals up your top 5 overall scores.

They count both the grilling events and and KCBS categories for TOY rankings.
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2009, 06:23 PM   #4
ique
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilitantSquatter View Post
NEBS totals up your top 5 overall scores.

They count both the grilling events and and KCBS categories for TOY rankings.
Another the key part of the NEBS scoring is the actual contest points are used to determine TOY.
ique is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2009, 06:37 PM   #5
Bigmista
somebody shut me the fark up.

CBBQA takes best five scores in each category and overall for your scores. Cooking more contests only means more scores to choose from.

Points are accumulated in the top half of the category only and are dependent on the number of teams at the contest. For example, if there are 20 teams competing,

1 = 20 points
2 = 19 points
3 = 18 points
10 = 10 points
11-20 = 0 points

So basically, if you do well at a big contest, you get more points.

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2009, 06:46 PM   #6
ThomEmery
Babbling Farker

IBCA is a most points all year long
Have to hit top ten to score

Team What Wood Jesus Que?

Www.bbqthom.com
ThomEmery is offline   Reply With Quote